Project Ape

aragorn05

... all of them have been arhived!!

You just scared me. I'm planning a trip to D.C. in mid February and I plan on getting the MD APE cache on that trip. I've been looking forward to logging one of these for a long time so I'm glad that the last three remaining APE caches are still available.

At least the one I'm going to try and log is.

(whew)

I once asked "What makes a Project APE cache still a Project APE" and Jeremy responded:

I would assume that the container makes the Project APE cache, along with the neat spraypaint job on the lid, and perhaps the logbook (if it still exists). Though the container should be sufficient.

In our office we have one of the original (unhidden) containers along with one of the logbooks.

They containers are truly unique and stamped with the Project APE logo. If you've every found one (or placed one) you know that you'll most likely never see another container like it.

Originally, there were only 13 caches world-wide (re-read the page I linked above). Many of them have been archived due to muggling or just not the best placement in the world.

I think it's like a Rembrant painting (not presuming to compare with quality). Since there are a limited number of these available, and no more are being created, that makes the capturing of one all the more special. If any old Joe or Jane cacher could place an APE cache, they wouldn't be as special anymore.

Edited by Markwell
I think it's like a Rembrant painting (not presuming to compare with quality). Since there are a limited number of these available, and no more are being created, that makes the capturing of one all the more special. If any old Joe or Jane cacher could place an APE cache, they wouldn't be as special anymore.

Agreed, but can someone adopt the archived ones? These were a really neat idea. I think that ONLY ONE in each state would be nice. Sort of like the Holy Grail of caches( no disrespect intended). The few that are left are truly Rembrants. Let the approvers in each state(area) hide one. Just a thought...

2Wheel'in and I hunted and found Mission 7, Crab Creek yesterday - that is one of three remaining Project APE caches. I believe the other two are Mission 9, Tunnel of Light in Washington, and Mission 12, Blind Canal in Illinois. Truly unique containers and log books, and a nifty bit of geocaching history.

This is great new to me! I only knew of the one in Washington which I will visit this fall. What to my surprise when I found that there are still 2 more still active!! The Maryland one is on my list for the summer and the Illinois one is on my list for next month when I get out to Chicago.