First Hunt Successful

SteveDex

This was our first bench mark hunt - a disk on a local railway not yet logged. My 8-year-old son accompanied me and as we were walking beside the tracks, I took the opportunity to tell him about the hazards of being near the railroad and that we would probably not hunt anymore marks next to railroad tracks.

But since we were already here.....

I found the mark (pictures) in the concrete foundation supporting a highway overpass. Because of flooding it was a pain to get to the embedded disk to get a good picture - it involved rolling up my pants and wading through cold water.

I had perched my son on some rocks on the other side of the tracks a safe distance away while I was shivering on the concrete crossbeam taking averages and calibrating elevation. I could hear him pitching rocks until he echoed from across the way -

"DAD! THIS IS FUN! IT'S LIKE GEOCACHING.... ONLY DANGEROUS!!"

Heh.. heh.. There are plenty more unlogged marks for my son and I to find that do not involve speeding locomotives. :D

Stevie -

Congrats on your first find. Very nice recovery.

Most of us steer clear of railroad rights-of-way - there are cops as well as speeding locomotives. Several earlier threads have discussed the vigor with which railroads assert and protect their private property rights.

Having said that, I have to admit that I have ventured on to ROWs on several occasions. A good escape route - that's my primary requirement.

Welcome to the club, and many more finds.

Will

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I can not go ANYWHERE without finding a benchmark. I have created 2 monsters! "Dad there's a benchmark!" (as we go over a manhole), "Dad there's a benchmark!" (as we walk by a gasline cover). My youngest had a bruise on her leg and told me, "Dad, kiss my benchmark, it really hurts." :huh:

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I can not go ANYWHERE without finding a benchmark. I have created 2 monsters! "Dad there's a benchmark!" (as we go over a manhole), "Dad there's a benchmark!" (as we walk by a gasline cover). My youngest had a bruise on her leg and told me, "Dad, kiss my benchmark, it really hurts." :huh:

Oh, this is so funny!

We thought we had it bad when we see benchmarks everywhere we look...had not even considered what kids could be like after they 'found' a few.

Maybe we should post a "warning: pursuing this hobby with children or spouse (this really aplies to me, I tend to drive John nuts) could be hazardous to your sanity"? to the main benchmark home page? :huh:

Shirley~

Rob,

"Kiss My Benchmark" would sell to surveyors, us, etc. if done right. Sounds like a good idea. This is a way we could get our vanity benchmark, if we created a fictional NGS benchmark picture with "GEOCACHING" or maybe "GEOBENCHING" as the benchmark name.

Edited by BuckBrooke

Maybe Jeremy will Design and make available such a T-shirt and market it here to all those who want one. Motto on the front and logo on the back, something like that... Ya never know, It could be a cash cow! Maybe use the proceeds to develop other cool Benchmarking products and services!

Rob

"DAD!  THIS IS FUN!  IT'S LIKE GEOCACHING.... ONLY DANGEROUS!!"

Heh.. heh.. There are plenty more unlogged marks for my son and I to find that do not involve speeding locomotives.  :D

Although I really doubt that the people who set these marks ever dreampt in their wildest dreams that people would actually have fun going out and finding them, I am glad to see it happening!

Enjoy the many marks out there!

-Casey-

Edited by caseyb
Maybe Jeremy will Design and make available such a T-shirt and market it here to all those who want one. Motto on the front and logo on the back, something like that... Ya never know, It could be a cash cow! Maybe use the proceeds to develop other cool Benchmarking products and services!

I want in. We can donate all proceeds to my child's college fund. :D

Oh, and by the way, while changing diapers, I get "Dad, can you wipe my benchmark please!" Not sure where you can go with that one though. B)

caseyb,

Maybe the NGS could do a program like the

USA FREEDOM CORPS.

USA FREEDOM CORPS

For logging the

1st 100 to the NGS you could get a bronze NGS/or USA PVSA Pin.

250 THE SILVER,

500 THE GOLD.

And of course the one elusive 4000 logged/to the NGS gets a Lifetime Award.

With the Freedom Corps it's hours logged, which could be logged by those who are doing it it the online record found at the Volunteers link at the same time.

You could earn both that way.

It was just a thought I had to encourage persons logging to the NGS.

I had kinda bounced the idea off S. Randall at the signature events.

I tried to remember while talking to Dave Doyle but there are always so many things and so little time.

Keeping it on topic...........Kids page as well.

There is a new web site at the USA Freedom Corps for Kid's too.

Might make a differece on how often you can get the younsters out there and teach them these very technological advancements.

They can also earn a PVSA(Presidents Volunteer Service Award).

USA FREEDOM CORPS YOUTH PAGE

The SW MISSOURI GEOCACHERS have just reached GOLD LEVEL as a Geocaching group.

2 individuals have earned PVSA's

1,GOLD SILVER,BRONZE

1,BRONZE.

We are over 1/2 way as a group to the LIFETIME. 4000 hrs.

The reason I bring this up is for one I am one of the recipients.

Not only of a PVSA but also 2 extra-ordinary gifts from the NGS.

Daved knows what I am talking about,it was an exchange of tokens at the Lewis and Clark signature events.St. Louis and St. Charles.

I know how proud it makes me feel and I wanted to share that with the others in this group,I have many times in many different ways tried to show this.

It is a part of that strive to perfection we all attempt.

And as a part of this group I feel proud to be a part of we have all learned to be a little more perfect everyday.

My thanks to all that volunteer their time to promote good things.

I did the same with my 27 year old kid .....................

I took him out and got him hooked on benchmarking,kinda like my Dad

did years ago before the advent of GPS..a map and compass and a few stray benchmarks.

NOW with the advent of the GPS I can't wait to get back to some of the (younger days) recoveries and add them to the list..............................I have been able to get several of them already.

Now that was 30+5+5+ + years ago,"That,that I was taught as a youth is still a part of my being".

Like today that,that we teach will be a part of someone's being in 30+15+5+++++years from now.

It sounds like you have found the perfect memory making past time. Kudos.

I just wish we had this hobby when our Daughter was little..but we did go 'mushroom hunting' along the railroad tracks (back when it was still O.K. to do such a thing). She still mentions that with fond memories. :huh:

Thank you for sharing....Great Pictures! Maybe you could include a pic of your son?

Shirley~