Cache *inside* A Tree?

ChicagoCanineCrew

Hello,

I was just scouting out a local park for somewhere to place a small cache. I was not finding many as it is a small park and I could see a cache getting stolen from most places I was looking at... Then I noticed a tree that looked like it might make a good hiding place in the low branches. When I got closer I realized the tree had a HUGE (but somewhat narrow) 'hole' in the side of it, starting at the ground going at least 2-2.5 ft. up the tree. Seems like it'd be a perfect place for a cache, but I figured I'd ask if there's any reason NOT to hide a cache "inside" of a live tree?

Seems like it'd be a perfect place for a cache, but I figured I'd ask if there's any reason NOT to hide a cache "inside" of a live tree?

Well, I've got one like that. So, if it's a bad idea, I'm really very sorry.

I can't see anything about my hide that would injure the tree in any way, so I'm not holding my breath :D

There are lots of caches in the Rio Grande Valley that were placed in tree hollows. Most have been muggled one or more times, then had to be replaced.

Have a look at this one.

One of the best I've seen was a micro with a tiny eye-hook screwed into a tree above eye level, and a matching hook on the lid of the camo-taped 35mm film canister. I can't imagine any damage happening to the tree from the hook.

Edited by valleyrat

One of our favorite caches was hidden inside a tree. The tree had an enormous hole in it, although the size wasn't really obvious from the outside. You have to stoop and crawl in, turn around and stand up; anyone standing outside the tree can only see you from the knees down. You're inside a pitch-dark hollow tree. You squeeze your arms up over your head into the darkness, reach up, and there it is. About 6 feet off the ground, I think. (The hole went up even higher than that; we couldn't see where it ended.)

Putting the cache back was a little more difficult that getting it out in the first place.

One of my favorite caches was hanging from a tree as well. It was about 100' off the trail in plain site, but the trick was you had to wade almost waste deep through muck and crap to get to it. Easy in the winter when everything is frozen, not easy in the summer when I visited.

I also have found a good many hides in trees as well. My first find (and all time favorite cache) was in the hollow of a tree. It wasnt difficult, but the experience is one I will never forget. My wife, kids and I had no idea what we were doing back then and looked everywhere, when my 4 year old looked up and said, "Dad, what is that?" :rolleyes:

How do you restrain the cache in a hollow? One of the few places I’ve seen to put caches in urban parks is in tree hollows. The ones I’m talking about run deep down the tree, many all the way to a hole in the base. I’ve never been able to come up with a way to restrain the cache in the hollow. Driving a nail to attach a lanyard to is considered bad form. A string wrapped around the trunk or a limb will be too conspicuous. The holes don’t taper much. Even if they did you’d have to have a carefully chosen container to go down the hole far enough but not too far that it can’t be reached – then hope it doesn’t get wedged in too tight to pull out. Etc., etc., etc.

Edited by Thot

I have one in the hollow of a tree in a NYC park about 50 feet of a fairly busy trail. The area is surrrounded by poison ivy and some cachers have found the container laying on the ground near the tree pulled there probably by a squirrel. The cachers replace it in the tree and the varmint, likely a member of the Sierra Club, keeps pulling it back out. :laughing: