Outrageous Cachers

sept1c_tank

What is the most outrageous (geocaching related) thing you have done?

This is not about caches, specifically; it is about you, the cacher, or anyone else you care to expose. Have you quit your job or been fired for a caching issue? Maybe you divorced your wife (been done, I think) because she thinks caching is stupid. Maybe you have a new, bloody tattoo incorporating the GC.com logo (definitely been done).

Have you spent a large sum of money to hide or seek a cache? Maybe you have been a little (or a lot) devious in order to achieve a FTF.

The most outrageous thing I have done is to plan a 3-week, multi-state, international geocaching foray for the sole reason of caching and meeting cachers. (BTW, no regrets here.) B):D

Outrageous or just plain stupid, but ...

Since MOCs are being discussed, it reminds me of why I subscribed. Actually, MOC makes no sense since we are all members. They should be SOCs (subscriber only caches)

I read about them and they made me curious. They were not listed on my nearest cache list and my curiosity got the best of me. So I paid so I could have them on my list. But, wait .... they're still not there. Turns out I had not searched out far enough to see one. There weren't many in Kansas back when I joined.

But I have to say it was the most intelligent stupid act I have performed since I became a cacher.

I found a super tiny micro cache that had been attached to a string and tossed over a wall. Unfortunately the pill container became unscrewed and the log and half of the container fell about 30 feet down into a very very very thick patch of thorny bushes. I hiked down, crawled through a couple hundred feet of these prickly bushes to search for the cache.

i actually found it and was able to restore the cache.

I guess it is not all that outrageous, but I sure went through a lot to sign the log.

Here is a log posted from one of my caches.

January 11 by Doug Mathieson (177 found)

My 177th Cache

Sixth in this Series

Six of Six in this Series today

Now this was a memborable cache

I had just finished the five caches on the other side of the river and this one was only showing about 300 metres away

Problem was it was on the other side of the creek with no steeping stones to get across

Took off my shoes and waded across the creek. I had some wool socks on so I hoped this would give me enough padding on the ground to get to the cache and back across the river

Managed to find the cache in a few minutes and back into the creek I went. I got across and into some dry socks I had in my bag and then into my nice relatively toasty shoes

Pictures

Let's see... during my early cache days... I set out to find a new cache on my day off. I quickly skimmed over the cache listing and set off to find the cache. I was also motivated to get the FTF. I got to the site with only minimal info: go to the coordinates and look for a micro cache with coordinates to the cache container.

I should have brought a printout.

When I got to the cache site. I followed my trusty GPS and when I got within 350 feet of WP1, my climb started to get pretty steep. When I got to 50 feet of WP1, the climb was almost completely verticle.

That is when I decided it was time to look for another route. I started to look for where I can climb up to the trail I needed to get to and found what I thought was walkable...

I found a set of concrete stairs, but there were series of signs that sent mixed messages... "Do Not Climb" and "Proceed at your own risk"... At the top of the steps, the route was walkable, however it involved quiet a bit of bushwacking - there was no clear path.

I finally got to the right path and found the cache, but that was only after an hour and a half of finding the right path and bushwacking to and back to where I started.

That pretty much taught me... always bring a the cache printout.

Elden Johnson, RLTW, and I (Daddy Ladybug of the Ladybug Kids) have had back to back backcountry ski treks to infrequently visited caches that are accessible only by canoe/raft in the summer and ski, snowshoe, or snowmobile in the winter. Both trips involved hard trail breaking due to the high snow year we're having, dodging open water, dealing with overflow frozen to our skis, and one member of our party getting partially wet in ice water. Once we found the cache at Between a Rock and Hard Place, one member of our party commented how nice it was to be in the backcountry and that "the cache provided a mission, even if it was a silly mission <_<."

Here are the logs complete with photos for Mammoth Tusk and Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

The day my addiction battled my phobias.

I am deathly afraid of "open heights". Flying and 4 wheeling at heights are not a problem because I'm inside something. However, when I'm not inside something, the vertigo is so bad I can hardly think.

So here I go after a cache that is about 50 feet down a 45-50 degree angle; with another 100 feet or so drop off just beyond the cache. I stood there for quite awhile contemplating if there was a non threatening way to approach the cache. NOPE!!

So down I went using my hands, feet and hiking stick to full advantage. I literally slid down on my side..a foot or so at a time. With the GPSr in my left hand and hiking stick in my right, I finally reached the area of the cache. Unfortunately, the cache was in a hole under a large rock. I had to reach into the hole for about 18 inches with spider webs everywhere. God, I hate spiders. As I was reaching for the cache, it dawned on me that my addiction to geocaching had overcome (barely) both of my phobias. I did a quick log, crawled back up the hill (left some skin) , and said lots of "thank you" to God for a safe adventure.

Edited by e3brown

At Iron Alliance, I did the following in order to score an FTF back in the days when such things were important to me:

• Ignored the nearby stray gunfire that turned away another geocacher
  • Bravely walked down the trail past a group of locals with chainsaws who looked like they all belonged on "America's Most Wanted"
  • Took off my jeans and boots to cross a frigid thigh-deep stream during the height of spring runoff (much to the amusement of the passing ATV riders, who fortunately had not seen the movie "Deliverance")
  • Repeated the strip tease act to return from the cache to my car

After hearing a rumor that one of my hides may have been compromised after a truck knocked over a highway light pole which fell across the adjacent bike path, I did a cache maintenance trip at -48° F ambient (no wind chill) two nights ago :huh:. I'm not sure what I was thinking...why would any cacher be looking for a cache at that temperature :huh:? Turned out that the cache was fine.

I went diving last January in 48° water to score a fire truck locationless, does that count?

How about leaving my pants on the truck while scaling across a ricketly bridge (the cache name WAS "naked in the wind")? :D

Hmmm.... I'll have to think on it!

Joefrog, you divers are crazy anyway!

B)

I haven't done anything too outrageous yet, but I have only been doing this for about 3 months, but. . .

I paddle a kayak 7 miles down the Flat River in Michigan in early December, go to the Island, got the cache, signed the log, another 3 miles on the river. 22 degrees by the way.

Then I landed in the middle of know where, dragged my yak .56 miles through bush, then 1.8 miles down a two track to a road. Unlocked my mountain bike from a tree, lock by kayak to the tree, camo'ed it. Rode the mountain bike 12 miles back to my truck, went back for the kayak, then headed home. Only about 4 hours for one cache, but I'm looking foward to kayaking to Rock Island in the Middle of Lake Michigan with my team and getting a FTF for a cache that has been there for about a year and a half. (Unless someone has found it by now).

B):D