Gpsr Accuracy Games

I've seen reference to GPSr accuracy games at events. Never saw a description. I can think of a way to devise such a game - but would like to hear about games others have played or seen. Thanks. Will be co hosting an event soon. I've checked and the closest benchmark is over a mile away, so games based on a benchmark are not an option.

I put together a game like this at my Finger Lake'n Good Event.

A week earlier I went out and marked a spot in a large open area. The key for me was marking the spot FIRST (before using my GPS). Some people place a small item at the spot, but I was able to use string attached to two trees to locate the exact spot we used.

Then I set my GPS down and allowed it to hold on the spot for as long as possible then marked the waypoint.

A week later, at the event, I had those little red marking flags available for all the participants. They would take a flag (write their name on it), and using the coordinates I provided they tried to get as close to my original mark as possible.

The picture below shows how spread out the flags were (and that's not all the flags). In the end, the closest GPS was an old Magellan. I was using an eTrex Legend.

So what did we learn? Well...mostly...that GPS's are screwy. If we can have that kind of variety in an open area on a clear day, what's our accuracy going to be like out in the woods under tree cover.

All in all, it's just a fun little exercise.

Bret

86b76454-9de4-4dc3-823a-920c19549749.jpg

Im not sure if this is the kind of thing you are referring too, but theres a favorite game played at local events here called "The 100 Yard Cache Dash".

Heres how it works. The organizer of the game hides a cache 100 yards away from a starting point. Noone knows where. He unfurls a piece of paper with coordinates written on them. From there its basically a race. Whoever gets their hands on the cache first can keep it plus all the contents therein.

Intersting ideas.

That reminds me of the one feature my Foretrex lacks that my G12 had. Waypoint averaging. When marking it gave you an option to average. If you let it set there and do it's thing for a good little while you could get a fairly accurate plot, all other things being equal.

If someone was really on the ball mathematically, they wouldn't need to waste time plugging coords for the 100 yard game. Just figure out which general direction it is in and sprint. You could look over a pretty good size area by them time most got their numbers plugged. Not that I'm that on the ball, but in theory.... <_<

One of the events we attended last year had a game based on Scrabble - the event was held over a long weekend, so this might not work for a day event.

A series of waypoints are scattered over a wide area, the coordinates marked and made available to players on a sheet. Each waypoint has a film cannister containing paper squares with letters on them. Players can chose which waypoints they find, and they remove a square of paper from each cannister. When they think they're done (or they've had enough), the teams return to the start point and their "time taken" is recorded.

Now the scrabble board comes into play. Team with the shortest "time taken" gets first go at the board with the tokens they've collected, and makes a word. Team with the next shortest "time taken" then gets to make a word, and so on.

As an added twist, this game was done at night at our event - so everyone was wandering around with torches trying to find the little film cannisters, so you had to be very accurate!!! The game was well accepted by those attending the event - YMMV.

Edited by Slider & Smurf