Minneapolis Good/bad Areas

gridlox

I'm coming to Minneapolis in May with my wife to a nursing conference and thought I'd do some GCing while in the area while she is in class.

As with all cities (Including mine) there area good areas and bad areas that an outsider might need to know about. Especially, if they are going to be alone toteing expensive electronics out in the open.

For instance, here we have a series of caches that are for a group of related landmarks. A couple I would recommend NOT going to alone, just because of the neighborhoods they are in.

Since I will more than likely be going alone, I really do not want to go walking up into an area where I will not be welcome.

This is NOT meant to sound racist ( <_< so PLEAAASE do not take it that way!!) but I only have my safety in concern.

What areas should a lone white boy holding several $100 worth of electronics not want to go into?

Thanks for any info!

D-man :huh:

Edited by gridlox

I can't think of any caches in the Twin Cities that I would be concerned about going to alone in the day time. There are a couple of "cruising" areas that may or may not make you feel a little uncomfortable at times but I've never heard of any actual problems.

On the other hand, there was an incident last year where a cacher stumbled across a very terratorial homeless person who fired off a gun into the air. This happened in an area that would in no way be considered a "bad" part of town and I wouldn't hesitate to cache alone in that area myself.

Mainly since I've never been there before, I just don't want to be walking into or through an area that is know to locals for drug dealing, prostitution, gang activity, ...

I know "most" every city in this day and age have those areas.

Places where someone toting high dollar valuables might find themselves as targets to the unsavoury types.

:P:o Sorry, I asked for it not be taken as racist and then I go and throw the "white boy" in there.

Not to smooth on my part, huh? :P

I guess I was basing my question on my area and areas that I know I'd warn people away from if they were to ask.

Not to say that whites aren't taking part in those things mentioned above, but "around here" in our town it is much more in the public that they occur in the minorty predominate areas.

Sorry if that offended any one!! :D:D

You have my sincerest of apologies!!!

Dwayne Hays <---Signing my "Real" name to show my sincerity

Edited by gridlox

OH WELL!!! ;)

Thanks for the helps here and the emails for caching buddies that I've recieved.

But, the trip has been scuttled!!

The clinic where she works has laid down a "No Spouses Allowed" for this one since they are paying for 4 of the nurses to go. Seems they can fit 4 in one room and will not budge on splitting them apart for an extra room.

And at $186 + taxes a night for 5 nights, there is absolutely NO WAY to go "out of pocket" on this trip. ;):huh:

Maybe I'll catch you guys another time.

Was really looking forward to coming! :D

D-man :D

Related to the original post, there is a chance that my wife and I will be relocating to the Minneapolis area soon. Where's the best place to live?

:blink:<_<

What's the best GPSr to use? Who makes a better pick-up, Ford or Chevy?

Seriously, email my through my profile with mor details, like where you would be working, lifestyle, etc., and I may be able to give you some tips.

I didn't really see that as a complicated question. Around every city, there are preferred places to live. People may disagree on which areas are the preferred ones, but that just gives more than one choice.

For example, I currently work in Nashville and live about 30 miles south in Franklin. Franklin is a small, historic town with the best schools in the state. It has close shopping and entertainment. It also has easy, interstate access to the city and low crime.

I'll try...

Depending on your lifestyle I'll recommend a few places, just based off of my experiences here since July when we moved up here.

If you are looking for the younger/hip/trendy/ type of location I would recommend the downtown/uptown area. As you will discover with the Twin Cities real estate prices are insane. Why I'm not really sure, but they are in a word high!

If you are looking for the family, suburbia type feel there are quite a few nice areas. My recommendation would be if you have any idea where you might be working to post that city and we can go from there. I say this because the other crazy thing here is traffic. No sense in driving all the way across town every day if you don't have to, although I'm convinced 90% of the people who live here do just that. I personally like the southwest part of town, including Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Chaska, Shakopee. All of these areas are nice, and houses are going up faster than you can say "wasn't there a field right here last summer?"

Good luck, holler with more questions!