Ramapo Map

briansnat

The currently available maps for the Ramapo County Reservation/Glen Grey/Camp Yaw Paw area are hopelessly out of date. New trails have been added and old ones re-routed and re-blazed in different colors. The NYNJTC is working on a new edition, but that could be months or more away.

I took the clam by the horns and made this. Its freehand, so will not be 100 pct accurate, but its been checked by several people very familiar with the area and their corrections have been incorporated. Its about as close as I could get without GPSing all the trails. E-mail me if you want the JPG or TPO file. They are a lot more readable.

894e1546-cea1-4362-a917-99089e532c51.jpg

Edited by briansnat

You might want to check out the link below. I do the same type of mapping and the freehand is tough. I find that maxing out the magnification makes it easier.

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/Parks/Parks/MAPS/Ramapo.jpg

may meet your needs. Rod Johnson Cartography is available at Ramsey Outdoor Store in Paramus, should you find yourself in the area. His Ramapough Mountains 2 map set is 8.95, but it has a split (imo) right where I don't want it. I generally use the National Geographic Topo series for all my mapping.

For those interested in another local map, there is an Allamuchy State Park Map on the Patriots Path Boy Scout Council website.

I find that I can down load some of these things save them as JPEG, whatever that may be and take the disk to Staples and they print them on 11 X 17 waterproof stock on a lazer printer for about $6 total.

How about overlaying the caches (don't know how difficult this is)

]How about overlaying the caches (don't know how difficult this is)

Download the cache waypoints from Geocaching.com, to something like EASYGPS (free) just check the boxes and then when they are on EasyGPS move them over to GPS and when they are on your machine then download them into the TOPO program and then just print the map on your own printer or save them to disk or CD and have Staples print them. You can hide labels. When you download to EASY GPS is gives cache name which will go into the Waypoint list.

For anyone who is interested in the Allamuchy area a good hiking map is at

http://www.ppbsa.org/

click on camping and click on Mt. Allamuchy Reservation and then USGS Map. This is a great hiking area. There are some caches there too. Great rail trail biking on the Sussex Rail Trail in the immediate vicinity.

For a free trail map of High Mountain, which NYNJTC.org is no longer mapping go to Wayne Township Parks and REcreation on Wayne Township Website.

Pyramid Moutain has a map put out by the County, that is good. NYNJTC used to have it as one of their maps, no longer.

Now about Passaic County--There are no maps, except from TC and those you make yourself. In Passaic County no one even knows that some of these places exist. Briansnat has educated more people to the existence of places in 6 months than the county has in 20 years I've lived here. Burnt Meadow Brook Cache, you know that Passaic County did not even know that the STate had added that parcel-- That is because we in Passaic County have almost no Parks and REcreation forethought. We are very content to allow the State to carry the weight. For that reason we have no bike paths. 12 years in the making the West Milford Bikeway and not a thing done. Bike Path from Mountainview Wayne to Riverdale --8 years in the making and not athing.

You might want to check out the link below.  I do the same type of mapping and the freehand is tough. I find that maxing out the magnification makes it easier.

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/Parks/Parks/MAPS/Ramapo.jpg

may  meet your needs. Rod Johnson Cartography is available at Ramsey Outdoor Store in Paramus, should you find yourself in the area.  His Ramapough Mountains 2 map set is 8.95, but it has a split (imo) right where I don't want it.  I generally use the National Geographic Topo series for all my mapping.

For those interested in another local map, there is an Allamuchy State Park Map on the Patriots Path Boy Scout Council website.

I find that I can down load some of these things save them as JPEG, whatever that may be and take the disk to Staples and they print them on 11 X 17 waterproof stock on a lazer printer for about $6 total.

This is one of the maps I'm attempting to replace. The Rod Johnson maps have their good points, but they are inaccurate in spots and as out of date if not more out of date than the 2002 TC Northern NJ map set.

The nice thing, but sometimes confusing thing about the Johnson maps is that he includes unmarked woods and trails, while the TC maps (and my map) only show trails maintained by the NYNJTC.

Also, since he GPSed all the trails himself, some are incomplete. If he only walked part of a trail, only part of the trail shows on the map.

I also don't like where he chose to split his Ramapo and Wyanokie maps.

PS, the map shown above may may soon be the one you will see that the Bergen County link that Packanack provided.

Edited by briansnat

Check with Hudson Valley Orienteering for great maps of some local parks. The rock the cache is under will often be on the map. Really!!! I don't have their website handy but it is easy to locate from the United States Orienteering Federation site.. Google will give it up easily.... They have Allamuchy, Ramapo, most of Harriman, and a bunch more done.

I joined Hudson Valley Orienteering primarily to get their maps, and bought all the available ones for our area. I was somewhat dissapointed, although the terrain features are obviously more detailed, sometimes they are so busy as to be confusing, and their trail data is very limited, with no marking of trails shown, and in most instances more out of date than Trail Conference maps.

What they are very good for is showing parks that no one else has mapped, such as Jockey Hollow, South Mountain, Lewis Morris Park and Eagle Rock Reservation in New Jersey. In New York, they have Tallman Mt, Blauvelt Parks, Saxon Woods, Cranberry Lake, Winding Hills, Ward Pound Ridge and others.

Edited by jonboy

The website for Hudson Valley Orienteering is here. Their maps can be found here. Ed Hicks, "The 'O' Guy", who, I believe, is an officer of HVO was an active geocacher back in 2002 and was kind enough to send me a bunch of HVO's maps. They are far superior to most of the hand-drawn approximations passing as maps that are distributed by parks and preserves in Westchester and environs. Although you need an electron microscope to read the Ward Pound Ridge map, I have found their maps of other parks (Saxon Woods, Muscoot Farm, Cranberry Lake) to be very good. And, no, I do not get a kickback from sales of HVO's maps.

[ the trails weren't GPSed. ]

Sounds like the makings of a cache event. I would sign up for that one. I would certainly do the Scarlet Oak Circular. Everybody gets a trail. If memory serves, which now a days that is hit or miss, there was info on NYNJTC viewpoint about a project dealing with mapping and gps where people could sign up to assist.

there was info on NYNJTC viewpoint about a project dealing with mapping and gps where people could sign up to assist.

That isn't getting very far. I volunteered via e-mai early last year and heard nothing. In October I met the guy in charge personally and told him I was interested and we traded business cards. He emailed me in early November asking what areas I'd be interested in, but I haven't heard from him since. This is the time of year to do this because the leaves are off the trees!

Edited by briansnat
[ the trails weren't GPSed. ]

Sounds like the makings of a cache event. I would sign up for that one. I would certainly do the Scarlet Oak Circular. Everybody gets a trail. If memory serves, which now a days that is hit or miss, there was info on NYNJTC viewpoint about a project dealing with mapping and gps where people could sign up to assist.

Sounds like a great idea! I'd be interested in helping too.

BTW, I hope that the newer maps that the TC puts out have at least some GPS info included. How hard can it be to give coods for parking areas and trail heads? Even the recently published books fail here. Most unfortunate.