Waypoint Coordinates For Non Cache Locations.

Hello,

I've been browzing around the net hunting sites that list waypoints to cool places or special locations (boat ramps, camping areas, etc). SO far I've not found many that are actually functional for the GPS aspect of finding them.

Do any of you know any sites similar to what I'm looking for? Do you mind sharing?

Thanks,

Rocky

Not sure what your trying to do in the long run, but GC.com does not allow the creation of NEW locationless caches. Also to claim or log a locationless cache you have to physically go to the sight and take a picture, with your GPSr in the picture and then get the coordinates. But internet pictures and all don't count.

Any way Mapsource list locations of points of interest (POI) and stuff so you could get coordinates of boat ramps campgrounds etc from there.

cheers

In the U.S., the best site that I know of for cemetery locations is USGS Geographical Names Information System at http://geonames.usgs.gov/gnishome.html

It has a LOT more than cemeteries and is one of the sources of the POI databases in many mapping programs, including Mapsend and Mapsource, and is the root of the Waypoint database with ExpertGPS.

The two items listed, however, are not in GNIS as they arent' really geographical in nature or permanent/institutional fixtures. Magellan licenses their campsite info from Woodalls http://www.woodalls.com so they're probably worth a peek.

Not sure what your trying to do in the long run, but GC.com does not allow the creation of NEW locationless caches.

We're actively working on a replacement that will address the OP and locationless caches. I don't normally give out dates, so the best I can say is it will definitely happen this year.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

To clear things up....

I'm looking for coordinates to places that really have nothing to do with a geocache or a virtual cache.

Like....coordinates for landmarks, attractions, parks, wal-marts, yada yada yada.

Mainly for the purpose of being able to type in the coordinates and go there.

If I've violated TOS of the site.....I apologize.

Nice to hear GC.Com hasn't given up on locationless caches. I have been having fun doing them kind of like going to flea markets and summer boot sales. You never know what your find so you always got to be ready. My caching partners will one day get use to me yelling PULL OVER NOW as we drive by a LC so I can snap a picture and get the coordinates.

cheers

I'm looking for coordinates to places that really have nothing to do with a geocache or a virtual cache.

Like....coordinates for landmarks, attractions, parks, wal-marts, yada yada yada.

Mainly for the purpose of being able to type in the coordinates and go there.

That's pretty much what locationless caches are, and the general problem with implementing them. A locationless cache was something you look for and log the coordinates for, which the site wasn't designed for.

There really isn't a web site that gives you exactly what you want. Google has the closest (and before that, Mapblast that was acquired by Microsoft), which has their own location-based search engine. You can do keyword searches there along with coordinates to find stuff.

http://local.google.com/

There are other sites that have location-specific web searches (like http://www.geourl.info) that may provide some features you like.

If I've violated TOS of the site.....I apologize.

Not sure where you're going with this, but it is somewhat on-topic as locationless and virtual caches relate to your question.

In the U.S., the best site that I know of for cemetery locations is USGS Geographical Names Information System at  http://geonames.usgs.gov/gnishome.html

It has a LOT more than cemeteries and is one of the sources  of the POI databases in many mapping programs, including Mapsend and Mapsource, and is the root of the Waypoint database with ExpertGPS.

The two items listed, however, are not in GNIS as they arent' really geographical in nature or permanent/institutional fixtures.    Magellan licenses their campsite info from Woodalls http://www.woodalls.com so they're probably worth a peek.

I would echo Robert's comments about the Name Server. Back in early days of GC, before Virts became a thing of derision, I had a virtual at a very remote cemetary called Forgotten Family. The question for the virtual was to provide the name of the family buried there. The cemetary was located on a dirt road in the middle of a corn field in the middle of nowhere, so I THOUGHT it was suitably challengined. That is, until I plugged the coords into the Name Server and it gave me the answer in seconds. I pulled the cache myself before anyone registered a find.

DeLorme's Street Atlas 2005 does a great job showing coordinates for locations.

Edited by Beowulf83

There is an amazing amount of information available on the internet. For instance, a list of all the oil and gas production platforms in the Gulf of Mexico is here. You can also find the coordinates for every airport, radio navigation aid, and intersection in the US. The USGS has a lot of information available. If you know the right search terms and the URL to Google, you can find almost anything.