Geocaching Backpacks

I'm looking to purchase a good hydration pack and I want to know what some of the more experienced Geocachers use? I will be using it for short day hikes?

Does anybody use a Camelbak Lobo? I am looking for something to hold the basics: first aid, flashlight, windbreaker, etc...

Any help would be appreciated!

There are many out there. The key is to look for the features you want. I stayed away from the Camelbak line only because I couldn't find a pack of theirs with all the features I was looking for in a pack. After a lot of searching I wound up getting a Mountainsmith Guide.

Features that were important to me:

-Hydration system compatible

-Medium size (2,200 - 2,800 ci)

-side mesh pockets

-large front pocket or panel for holding things like wet raincoats, tools or garbage being CITOed.

-wide hip strap/belt

-one or two outside zippered pockets

-rugged construction

-padded shouder straps

-sternum strap

The Guide had all of those.

Other features it has that I like:

internal organization panel for holding pens, spare batteries, PDA and notebook.

internal clip for car keys

internal zippered pouch designed for MP3 or CD player. I converted it into a built in first aid kit.

Since you're looking for something smaller, the Guide is probably not for you, but don't be limited to one brand. Look for a pack with the features that are important to you from a quality pack maker. Some quality pack mfrs. are: Lowe, Mountainsmith, Camelbak, Dana Design, Gregory, Arc'teryx, Kelty, Jansport, Deuter, North Face, Marmot, LL Bean and REI. The latter two are only available from their respective website or stores, but are often excellent values.

Edited by briansnat

Here's a recent similar topic where I explained my hydration pack. I decided for something larger since I could decide whether to bring less water or more, depending on the hike. I just got used to the size after a while.

In addition to the RimRunner I also have a CamelBak SnoBound that I got for my birthday, but I (will) use it primarily as a snowboarding backpack. Most situations will not require insulation to keep the water from freezing.

Hi

I suggest you also take a look at the Test Reports and Owner Reviews on BackpackGearTest.org. These reports and Owner Reviews are written by hikers. Hydration packs can be found at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hy...0Systems/Packs/ and generaly day packs at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Pa...%20Day%20Packs/.

Hope you get something that works good for you.

Andrew

I could only find one pic on the net of my brand/model of backpack

everyt1.jpg

It has room for a hyrdation system, the bottom can be detached to used as a fanny pack. Plenty of space for everything. After 2 years of beating on it, I've only had to make one small repair on a seam.

My wife has access to industerial sewing machines, and I 've had her sew webbing to accept 'add-ons' using ALICE clips. I constantly tinker with my pack, basically making it mine.

She always tells me to work up a pack design and she would sew it for me. Who knows, maybe I'll set up my own line of Cache-Packs <_<

Lynx

I have an Outdoor Products Ripcord, it;s kind of a knock off of the Camelbak Mule, but only costs around $29 at www.target.com.

Here's a link to see what it looks like:

Ripcord pack

Ihave the same pack its very comftable and the price is right.In fact ill be buying another one as Buck ate the straps off of this one <_<

Edited by blackbuck

I carry a Dakine Heli-Pro pack. This pack is designed as a backcountry ski/snowboard pack. I carry it on the slopes as well as when I'm out geocaching.

It has an insulated sleeve for a hydration bladder sold seperately. I like all the little pockets and clips it has for attatching things. It's rugged built and has just the right amount of room for geocaching accessories and swag.

Just my 2 cents.

It has room for a hyrdation system, the bottom can be detached to used as a fanny pack. Plenty of space for everything. After 2 years of beating on it, I've only had to make one small repair on a seam.

Lynx

Very nice. Is it waterproof? Where did you buy it? Thanks.

There are many out there. The key is to look for the features you want. I stayed away from the Camelbak line only because I couldn't find a pack of theirs with all the features I was looking for in a pack. After a lot of searching I wound up getting a Mountainsmith Guide.

Features that were important to me:

-Hydration system compatible

-Medium size (2,200 - 2,800 ci)

-side mesh pockets

-large front pocket or panel for holding things like wet raincoats, tools or garbage being CITOed.

-wide hip strap/belt

-one or two outside zippered pockets

-rugged construction

-padded shouder straps

-sternum strap

The Guide had all of those.

Other features it has that I like:

internal organization panel for holding pens, spare batteries, PDA and notebook.

internal clip for car keys

internal zippered pouch designed for MP3 or CD player. I converted it into a built in first aid kit.

Since you're looking for something smaller, the Guide is probably not for you, but don't be limited to one brand. Look for a pack with the features that are important to you from a quality pack maker. Some quality pack mfrs. are: Lowe, Mountainsmith, Camelbak, Dana Design, Gregory, Arc'teryx, Kelty, Jansport, Deuter, North Face, Marmot, LL Bean and REI. The latter two are only available from their respective website or stores, but are often excellent values.

:D Why did you stay away from Camelbak? I don't remember which one, but I have a Camelbak with everything you describe to a tee. And it holds 100oz (3 liters) of water.

It also has outside attachments I have hooked rope, carabiners, ascenders, etc.

All this for $60 on sale. B)

_Intrepid,Jan 14 2005, 02:25 PM]

Lynx

Very nice. Is it waterproof? Where did you buy it? Thanks.

Got mine at wal-mart, cost me $20 (ok actually I got it for christmas, and it cost my wife $20) Its not water proof, but is water resistant (been in enough storms with it) And is very comfortable. Quite modifiable if your handy with a needle and thread. Mine's real-tree camo (I have the most eclectic camo collection of clothes and gear), I don't know if it comes in any other color. You wouldn't be disappointed in it, not at that price anyways :D

Lynx

EDIT: Doh! I forgot to say that the company that makes my pack is called FieldLine. I don't know the model. Here the Url I took the pic from, seems like the guy had the same experience I did getting it. No I did write it.

http://www.bowhuntingnorthamerica.com/Ever...chen%20Sink.htm

Edited by SilverLynx
Why did you stay away from Camelbak? I don't remember which one, but I have a Camelbak with everything you describe to a tee. And it holds 100oz (3 liters) of water.

I looked at the HAWG and Raley (way too small) , the Rim Runner (too small and no 'shovel pocket' or panel on the front) and several others and all lacked one thing or another that I wanted. The only one that came close was the Peak Bagger, but my Mountainsmith was $40 less.

From my experience, specifically designed hydration paks always tend to be somewhat lacking in the size of the storage space. I bought one this summer and ended up spending far too long stuffing my stuff into it and getting stuff out. Look for a decent sized pack with a external pocket to put a separately sourced hydration bladder in.

I have a Mountainsmith Wraith. It's incredibly comfortable to wear and is designed to be easily converted into a hydration pack. Its size is perfect for day hikes and I use one of the little elastic loops on the shoulder straps (meant to hold the drinking tube) as a hands-free skyward-facing GPS-holding apparatus/device-type thingy 9000.

I think it's important for you to go store hopping and try on many different packs. A pack may have all of the features you want, have the perfect internal capacity, and look great, but the moment you load it up and put it on your back, there may be some little, annoying, plastic thing that pokes you in your side every time you walk.

The Camelback Commander is a very practical pack. At 42 liters (2500+ cu. in.) there is ample storage space, even for winter hiking. Plenty of pockets, compression straps and loops. 3 liter reservoir included and a nice beefy waist belt. It fits my 20-21 inch torso great. I'm not all that crazy about the color, but it's not so bad. I'm an earthtone kind of guy. :D

pm_60171.jpg

I managed to pick it up for $81.

Edited by Team Perrito Blanco
You guys really need so big backpacks and hydration systems for short day hikes? I use a school backpack I bought in Wal-Mart for $5 and as for hydration, I take a 17 to 24 oz. bottle with me.

Depends on what you mean by a short day hike. Outside Seattle that can be a +1,000 ft elevation gain over 3 miles.

8b866fbf-d3ab-4261-9ce6-e3f745ee729c.jpg

This is also a good time to recommend that you should always have your 10 essentials. If you're going to go into the woods you should always make sure you have water and supplies.