I love it

Shadow's

Ok, now I know Im going to regret asking this icon_biggrin.gif but what type of GPS would you recomend? I would like one that could mark a number of sites and one I could use those marks,or what ever thay are called, and make a map on my computer.

Ok now shoot, but be gentle I have never did this before. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by RiL:

Ok, now I know Im going to regret asking this icon_biggrin.gif but what type of GPS would you recomend?

Ok now shoot, but be gentle I have never did this before. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rick

Welcome to the real world! icon_smile.gifI'm going to risk imitating and irritating Markwell here icon_wink.gif, and recommend that you check the following threads:

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=2016058331&m=64260175&r=82360175#82360175

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=38160985&r=66460985#66460985

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=5726007311&result_detail=3&x_as=&findw=gpsr+and+recommend&f=&sis=&dt=&author_name=&sort_order=2&action=simplesearch&search=Search

If the multiplicity of opinions and facts here doesn't confuse you too badly it should help you sort through the pros and cons. Also OffRoute.com (see home page) has a page which does a pretty good job of comparing features between brands and models. I just wish I could have printed the whole thing when I was deciding what to buy. I ended up with only half of it printed out. However, it was enough to go on. I recommend going with the higher resolution screens, that has been a big help to us. Another point in favor of Offroute.com is that part of the proceeds go to help maintain this excellent website. My experience with the transaction when I purchased our unit was very positive.

We went with the Garmin Etrex Legend and have not regretted it. Many who have used Magellans have also been happy. It's a little bit like the old "Dos" vs "Windows" and "Mac" vs "PC" issues. There are pros and cons to both, if you start with something that meets all your criteria without requiring you to refinance your home you can always use it to learn the ropes and determine what you will finally want to do. In the meantime, you can be saving your pennies toward the "mega GPSr" while you're having fun using the affordable version and having experiences that may play a pivotal role in your later decision. Personally, given the current pricing structure, I decide it would be silly for me not to get a unit with downloadable map capability and WAAS compatibility. we've never used either (we've been at this for six whole weeks now icon_biggrin.gif ), but that doesn't mean we won't. We've just been too busy having fun using the equipment and hunting caches to get into the next phases. Probably in the next month or so we'll take the next step.

Good luck and best wishes. Hope to meet you on the trail someday.

(MiTuCats - best half)

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

quote:
Originally posted by RiL:

Ok, now I know Im going to regret asking this icon_biggrin.gif but what type of GPS would you recomend? I would like one that could mark a number of sites and one I could use those marks,or what ever thay are called, and make a map on my computer.

Ok now shoot, but be gentle I have never did this before. icon_redface.gificon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif Rick

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend. I was going to buy the Garmin Etrex Venture, but decided to spend a few extra bucks. I am glad I did. The Ledend is a great one to start with, it takes a couple of weeks to get used to all the settings. After 148 finds I still don't feel I have to upgrade any time soon. I wish I could make this comment about my PC.

i have an etrex venture, and i'm very happy with it. some day it'll wear out and i'll upgrade, but i don't feel i'm missing anything. it has what i need.

then again, i keep all my records longhand.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by MiTuCats:

It's a little bit like the old "Dos" vs "Windows" and "Mac" vs "PC" issues.

LINUX!

Speaking of which, does anyone know of good mapping software that will run on Redhat? I'd love to use my laptop with my Garmin GPS V, but my laptop is running Redhat, and I AINT gonna change it!

DrMemory

quote:
Originally posted by DrMemory:

quote:
Originally posted by MiTuCats:

It's a little bit like the old "Dos" vs "Windows" and "Mac" vs "PC" issues.

LINUX!

Speaking of which, does anyone know of good mapping software that will run on Redhat? I'd love to use my laptop with my Garmin GPS V, but my laptop is running Redhat, and I AINT gonna change it!

Your post above is quite amusing! I use SCO System V at work. I use Microsloth Windoze at home. Your comment is why. The software available under the various "less mainstream" op systems is less than inspiring.

Like it or not, and argue as you will, but Microsloth has the software support to make it the obvious, if not the best, choice for most users. And along with that, with the above statement still... the PC is the obvious choice for most users.

Yes, there are other systems. Yes, they are better. Beta was better than VHS too!

Thanks for the smile! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

If you really must keep Linux on your system. I did see Windows layerd on top of it with success.

I personally didn't set it up, but there were no real problems from what I saw with that kind of setup. You just need the additional disk space and memory to run both at the same time.

The flavor was W2K. I can't speak for the earlier versions.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by DrMemory:

LINUX!

DrMemory

Yes, there's (at least) one very good (my opinion, clearly) mapping soft running under Linux, is a Tcl/TK code called gpsman, written by a guy of the University of Porto, look at the homepage:

GPSmanager homepage

Is more or less similar to Ozi, less powerful on the "mapping" side, far superior if you use it to manage-edit-file tracks, routes and WP, due to its capability to organize them into "groups" and to its extended track editing functions. Of course is free, updated VERY frequently, supports garmin, magellan and lowrance. Being a Tcl/Tk code, you need to have Tcl/Tk installed on your linux box. Tcl/Tk is distributedas a RPM self installing package for RedHat, and you probably have it on your Linux installation disks, or maybe it's already installed. I like it (probably is clear from what I said...), but as any other thing, has good things and bad things, compared, say, with ozi... give a look to the page, maybe it's OK for your need.

But give a look to the net about GPS-related linux softs, maybe you find something better...

BTW: if you are capable to run wine (the linux win emulator) you may try to put Win codes on your laptop... I never succeded with it, but I never tried for more than 25 secs...

Cheers

L.

quote:
Originally posted by Acaro:

Yes, there's (at least) one very good (my opinion, clearly) mapping soft running under Linux, is a Tcl/TK code called gpsman, written by a guy of the University of Porto, look at the homepage:

http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/

Excellent! Thanks!

That's the beauty of Linux. Although you are likely to miss out on BIG mainstream game packages, when it comes to simple utility software, almost every time some geek somewhere has recognized the need and written something to do it.

And it's free too.

DrMemory

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Like it or not, and argue as you will, but Microsloth has the software support to make it the obvious, if not the best, choice for most users. And along with that, with the above statement still... the PC is the obvious choice for most users.

Absolutely true. I'm a Net Admin, a professional geek. I LIKE computer games, and have played several. (One of the reasons I jumped on Geocaching was to get my too large and white flesh out in the sun once in awhile!) For these purposes, I have my main box, either bought or built, running Win98.

All of my OLD boxes though, my old p133 laptop, my p200, my p75, my pII-350, THEY run Linux.

Microsloth's market share is based on faith. As long as people BELIEVE they are the only option, then software companies will compile for them and them only, and they WILL be the only option.

Therefore, we must do our best to get an established base of alternatives out there. I will buy ONE Win system, the rest will be Linux.

We're making headway in the corporate market. With all of Microsoft's posturing about XP, it STILL isn't as stable as Linux, and the companies know it. Those that have enough local expertise are starting to use Linux.

In any event, I've found that Linux is like the old DOS. It may take more work to get it to do what you want (since the software for it isn't commercial, and so isn't advertised, you have to LOOK for it), but it WILL do everything you need it to do.

DrMemory

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

i have an etrex venture, and i'm very happy with it. some day it'll wear out and i'll upgrade, but i don't feel i'm missing anything. it has what i need.

then again, i keep all my records longhand.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Did not mean to down the Venture. I guess it just depends on what works for you.