Cannonball Race 2005

CBR2005

Incredibly silly question (and yet I seem to have missed the answer): What is the deadline for sending in TBs and entry fees? Thanks.

Rules page

"8. All entrants MUST be received by April 25th, 2005. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED."

In other words, WELCH :laughing: and all the other slackers who haven't mailled their racers need to do so tommorrow (or yesterday if possiable).

Incredibly silly question (and yet I seem to have missed the answer): What is the deadline for sending in TBs and entry fees? Thanks.

Rules page

"8. All entrants MUST be received by April 25th, 2005. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED." See below Edited by CBR2005

In other words, WELCH :laughing: and all the other slackers who haven't mailed their racers need to do so tommorrow (or yesterday if possiable).

OK, I’m “Officially Postponing” the start date until around June 15th.

The “NEW Postmark Deadline” will be May 31 2005.

Reason being, we have only received 6 TB’s as of today.

Hopefully, this will give others time to enter.

Note : BTW We can now (04/19/05) take credit cards, for an additional $0.50 per entry, via PayPal !

I added a "NOTE" and the Logo to the Rules Page section 5C.

Thanks again Welch, for the assist! :laughing:

Race On!

CBR2005

Edited by CBR2005
You mean I built that time machine for nothing?  :lol:  I mailed mine Monday morning after a mad scramble to get it ready.  At least I don't have to worry now.

Yeah, kinda had you rushing! :D

I thought for sure, we would have had more entries by now, with the deadline quickly approaching.. ;)

Hope we can get some more listed soon. :lol:

CBR2005

You mean I built that time machine for nothing?  B)  I mailed mine Monday morning after a mad scramble to get it ready.  At least I don't have to worry now.

Yeah, kinda had you rushing! B)

I thought for sure, we would have had more entries by now, with the deadline quickly approaching.. :o

Hope we can get some more listed soon. :(

CBR2005

Maybe I will get another on its way. ;)

Here's a question that I believe I know the answer to, but I'm going to ask anyway just to be sure.

The rules state that we should start with a NEW TB. We should then attach a wheel to it, and mail it with money.

Should this NEW TB be activated before it is mailed?

I suspect that it should be, so it can be, "grabbed by CBR2005," instead of being 'activated by CBR2005." However, I just wanted to make sure this was clear before activating a new TB.

Here's a question that I believe I know the answer to, but I'm going to ask anyway just to be sure.

The rules state that we should start with a NEW TB. We should then attach a wheel to it, and mail it with money.

Should this NEW TB be activated before it is mailed?

I suspect that it should be, so it can be, "grabbed by CBR2005," instead of being 'activated by CBR2005." However, I just wanted to make sure this was clear before activating a new TB.

Yes it should be activated. If you were to let CBR2005 activate it, it would be seen by the system as 'their' traveler. It would be linked that account, they would automatically receive email notices for it, etc.

Greetings Racers and Fans,

Here is the latest news to date.

I was hoping to offer a GPSr or a PDA, (est. value $200,00), as the first place prize in the 2005 Cannon Ball Race.

We need to have a minimum total of 40 paid entries to reach this goal, and cover costs.

As the number of entries increase, so does the prize value. We will leave the first place prize selection up to the winner as to what they want.

Having only 13 paid entries so far, it’s undetermined what will be offered at this time.

Keeping in the theme of geo-caching, we will find appropriate prizes.

Hopefully, we will have a flurry of entries in the next few weeks.

Remember, the final **postmark** entry date is May 31, 2005.

Here are the links to get you started.

Welcome

Rules

Entry Form

Good Luck one and all,

CBR2005

I was hoping to offer a GPSr or a PDA, (est. value $200,00), as the first place prize in the 2005 Cannon Ball Race.

We need to have a minimum total of 40 paid entries to reach this goal, and cover costs.

Why haven’t more people entered, already!

Is there a prize for procrastination   :unsure: .

Hopefully, we will have a flurry of entries in the next few weeks.

Remember, the final **postmark** entry date is May 31, 2005.

There is still time to enter!

Here are the links to get you started.

Welcome

Rules

Entry Form

Good Luck one and all,

CBR2005

Holy cow, what a prize to win.

I should get a bug or two entered, too. :)

SF1

Greetings All,

Just letting you all know, that the deadline is fast approaching.

Remember the new deadline is MAY 31 2005

When we hit 40 paid entries, the *Grand Prize* will be "your choice of a PDA or GPS" with an approximate retail value of $200.00.

Good Luck one and all.

CBR2005

I'm interested in the race. I've got a question or two.

I know you don't want to give the start line away but where is the start line? Maine, New England? San Francisco? West Coast? And/or about how long is the race? 2000 miles? 200 miles? 20 miles?

Thanks for you time.

I know you don't want to give the start line away but where is the start line? Maine, New England? San Francisco? West Coast? And/or about how long is the race? 2000 miles? 200 miles? 20 miles?

Thanks for you time.

From the site linked above

"Release point and date will be kept SECRET until the start of the race.

They will then travel cross country to **Checkpoint Charlies** Nature Walk GCGG3R in Bangor Maine,

then travel to the Finish Line Cache GCN68N in Buffalo NY, to conclude the race and reap your bounty!

Good luck racers! "

The previous races were from NY to CA and CA to NY. I would guess the race will follow a similar 'across the country' route again.

And/or about how long is the race? 2000 miles? 200 miles? 20 miles?

Thanks for you time.

From the site linked above

"Release point and date will be kept SECRET until the start of the race.

They will then travel cross country to **Checkpoint Charlies** Nature Walk GCGG3R in Bangor Maine,

then travel to the Finish Line Cache GCN68N in Buffalo NY, to conclude the race and reap your bounty!

Good luck racers! "

The previous races were from NY to CA and CA to NY. I would guess the race will follow a similar 'across the country' route again.

Yes, Welch is correct as usual. :o

I think from the wording you can deduct you'lll be traveling from West to East, being Bangor Maine is on the East coast. But, I didn't tell anyone, did I.

Milage is up to which route your tb travels. Some from last years race are still within 200 miles of the starting line.

Thanks once again, for the assist, Welch :D .

ps: there are ONLY 16 Days Left to get me your CBR TB

Good Luck one and all

CBR2005

Edited by CBR2005

(Jason and Christian changed name to Husker and Christian is opening his own account)

I tried to figure out the answers to my questions. We only started geocaching last fall so I have no knowledge of previous races.

Cross country means little to me. When I go cross country skiing, I don't leave the 4000-acre park. Our high school cross country team runs only a few miles.

Typically there is a check point near the mid point of a race. This check point is only about 400 miles from the finish line. It also appears the bugs may go past the finish line to the check point and then return.

I tried to find some information on the 2004 race. The link on the CBR Welcome page linking to the 2004 race leaders but it doesn't work. It points right back to the CBR Welcome page.

I think our four travel bugs will sit this one out.

Good luck to the racers!

Cross country means little to me. When I go cross country skiing, I don't leave the 4000-acre park. Our high school cross country team runs only a few miles.

"Cross country" is pretty self-explanatory. If someone told me they were planning a cross country trip, I wouldn't think they were driving 3.5 miles. Cross country skiing and running refer to the style, not the distance.

;)

"Cross country" is pretty self-explanatory. If someone told me they were planning a cross country trip, I wouldn't think they were driving 3.5 miles. Cross country skiing and running refer to the style, not the distance.

Thanks for making my point. Cross country means something entirely different to you than it does to me. That's why I asked the question.

Hmmmm...

Now that Cannonball 2005 is starting, when do the finishers of Cannonball 2004 get out of Winner's Circle?  They have been there a long time.

Hey there NWscout1,

I'll find out from "last years Race Official" as to the status.

I don't believe we / NYGO, were mailing them back to the owners, automatically. I thought the owner was to contact the race official as to how they wanted their tb released. Back into the wild ( with a different goal card) or to make arrangements to have them snail-mailed back to the owner at the owners expense.

Give me some time to follow up on this. I’ll try to email you directly within a week. If you don’t here back by then, nudge me again, via cannonballrace2005@yahoo.com or you can use the 2005 entry form – using “2004 Winners” instead of “entry”.

CBR2005

Hey guys...

I am interested in entering.. 

Ya better get moving on it, the deadline (May 31) is fast approaching.

i was wondering if the tb has to have 4 wheels..

No- it has to have wheels. At least “two” to qualify. Motorcycles / planes/ roller skates - …. are legal. The wheels don’t even have to turn, just be there.

and does it have to have a fuel tank...

Nope, rechargeable batteries work, just as well. :P

Also... i am guessing we will not know the strating location until the start of the race...-ryan

Starting point is being kept secret. Only the tb owners will get a 48 hr heads up that the race will start. And if I’m paid enough, I just might include the gc waypoint that will commence the race in that email. I’m not going to give away too much, just yet.

CBR2005

Typically there is a check point near the mid point of a race. This check point is only about 400 miles from the finish line. It also appears the bugs may go past the finish line to the check point and then return.

Yes, this check point is past the finish line, going west to east. It was created to include part of the North East US, that wouldn’t get much race action due to NYGO being in NY state. That leaves anything East or North/South pretty much out of the race. Who knows next year it might be Florida or Southern California or Washington State where we start or have a checkpoint. Ya never know, what might be in the works.

I tried to find some information on the 2004 race. The link on the CBR Welcome page linking to the 2004 race leaders but it doesn't work. It points right back to the CBR Welcome page.

Oooopppppppps! Someone "burped"! Thanks I'll fix it asap

Try this link CBR 2004 Race Rules instead, sorry.

I think our four travel bugs will sit this one out.

Ya still have time to enter.

Good luck to the racers!

Come join the fun!

A new GPS or PDA ( $200.00value ) will be up for grabs when we hit 40 paid entries.

CBR2005

You mean I can't enter my unicycle?  :P  :D  B)  :D  :D  B)

If you can ride it, I'll allow it ! :D

I didn't think of that one, not the norm, but.. it is legal.

I'll have to figure out how to refuel that one. :D

Maybe you'll just have to hop on it and ride it cross-country.

My legs, surely won't make that one go. B) Hehehe

You better get that peddling on, to the starting gate very soon.. :P

CBR2005

Sent a TB in for the race a few days ago... 'Captiv8ed Racer'. It should arrive via snail mail (USPS 2 or 3 day priority) by tomorrow. Paypal was sent last weekend. I hadn't seen any updates showing my car on the official unofficial CBR2005 pre-site site.

Sent a TB in for the race a few days ago... 'Captiv8ed Racer'. It should arrive via snail mail (USPS 2 or 3 day priority) by tomorrow. Paypal was sent last weekend. I hadn't seen any updates showing my car on the official unofficial CBR2005 pre-site site.

Guess what showed up in today's snail-mail.

I'll update the roster page tomorrow, along with a few other ones.

Seems like I won't be re-fueling this one. LOL

CBR2005

Greetings Racers and Fans,

Last Call to Enter the 2005 CannonBall Run Race.

You only have ten (10) days left to get Racing TB to the starting line.

Remember: Once we get 40 paid entries the Grand Prize will be a choice of a $200.00 GPS or PDA.

The winner will have their choice of the prize.

Hurry up, the deadline is fast approaching.

Good Luck one and all.

CBR2005

I'll start by saying I'm too lazy today to read back through this entire topic. I'll also say, I have read it all previously, and don't think that my question has been addressed yet.

Has anyone looked into getting the "Unofficial Cannonball Race 200x" sanctioned by Groundspeak, so that it could be made into an "Official" event? Perhaps that would help to get it made more public, and get the number of entrants back up. Not that I'm not excited about running against so few competitors... still, there's something more fun in competing with the masses. Honestly, I don't read the forums, except for this one topic (which I find a link directly to through google, so I don't bother seeing other topics), so I feel like I'm part of the many people who geocache, but would have NO idea there is a race if it weren't for stumbling across it by dumb luck.

I'll start by saying I'm too lazy today to read back through this entire topic. I'll also say, I have read it all previously, and don't think that my question has been addressed yet.

Has anyone looked into getting the "Unofficial Cannonball Race 200x" sanctioned by Groundspeak, so that it could be made into an "Official" event? Perhaps that would help to get it made more public, and get the number of entrants back up. Not that I'm not excited about running against so few competitors... still, there's something more fun in competing with the masses. Honestly, I don't read the forums, except for this one topic (which I find a link directly to through google, so I don't bother seeing other topics), so I feel like I'm part of the many people who geocache, but would have NO idea there is a race if it weren't for stumbling across it by dumb luck.

What would you mean by 'offical'?

I'm not in any way involved with organizing this thing, but I'm not sure what it is you want to see done differntly :P .

one of the requirements for the race is that each racer have a Groundspeak traveler tag . In the past two races the begining, ending, (and this year check point) were all gc.com listed caches, the starting point has been an event cache. Why this year has only like 20 entries (so far :D ), and the past ones have had 70+, I don't know.

(HappyFrog (& gang) Posted on May 24 2005, 04:56 AM)
(NWscout1 @ May 18 2005, 04:32 PM)

Hmmmm...

Now that Cannonball 2005 is starting, when do the finishers of Cannonball 2004 get out of Winner's Circle? They have been there a long time. 

Are you going to enter last years racer into this years race? That would be interesting to see. Since your racer almost got 1st place.

No, I've got a new racer for this year (Moon Unit #1).

I hadn't considered entering my last years racers because I had already decided to enter Moon Unit and my 2004 racers seemed to have gotten stuck in Winner's Circle. Thinking about it now, it would have been interesting to see how they would have done in 2005.