Cannonball Race 2005

CBR2005

[Yes, I *am* full of questions!]

Also, is it OK to very liberally interpret the word "wheeled," or is the race going to be like last year, where "wheeled vehicle" was the criteria? As in: a lot of things have wheels that aren't vehicles. Wheelchairs, steering wheels, Mayan calendars, and spinning wheels all come to mind.

Hey mortaine,

Maybe, I can answer this, or recommend something.

In last years race and other times, I’ve seen that some photo copied the ID Tag #’s and laminate them. Others have engraved the # on the bottom, some rivet the tag to the item.

I recommend that you make it look like a real tb tag so cachers can recognize it as a tb. I’ve seen owners alter the tag to look different, and cachers visiting the cache, just overlook the tb.

I don’t see a need to make it “micro ready”, but that’s your choice. Just make sure it has wheels. I’d think, anything that had wheels, would eliminate micros.

Good luck

SF1

[Yes, I *am* full of questions!] .

No problem! We will be posting the rule real soon!

Also, is it OK to very liberally interpret the word "wheeled," or is the race going to be like last year, where "wheeled vehicle" was the criteria? As in: a lot of things have wheels that aren't vehicles. Wheelchairs, steering wheels, Mayan calendars, and spinning wheels all come to mind.

Yes, it’s a valid interpretation. If it has wheels it’s good to enter.

It’s not a hard rule, but a photo of a car tire is a wheel, but a pretty lame one. :)

The reason we changed it to ”Any wheeled vehicle”, was because people wanted trains, tanks, cannons, roller skates and so on. I really don’t think we would eliminate anything if had wheels on/attached to it. Ex.. A turtle with wheels attached, qualify, but kind of ???. :D

If you have a specific question about something being legal, PM or email me thru my profile page.

I don’t want you to give away your idea “here”. :)

CBR2005

I don’t see a need to make it “micro ready”, but that’s your choice. Just make sure it has wheels. I’d think, anything that had wheels, would eliminate micros.

You'd be amazed at how small a wheeled thing can be-- I was on eBay this week and found inexpensive silver charm bracelet charms that had wheeled cars and bikes and such on them, which I thought would be a pretty cool micro TB item.

Hi Race Owners and Fans,

I'm just finishing up the pages, as we speak.

The temporary pages should be up later this afternoon.

This will be “off-site” from the NYGO site.

There you will have the following links :

1 ) Welcome

2 ) Rules

3 ) FAQ’s

4 ) Entry Form - that will ask for a )owners name, b ) car name,

c ) type of payment: cash, check, money order and pay-pal,

and ask for a Non-GC email address to notify “OWNERS ONLY”

just prior to the start of race, so they can put a watch on the cache.

5 ) Race Roster - those that have "officially entered" and we reciever their tb(s).

Once we close the entry part, we will then go “LIVE” on the NYGO site, like in the past.

I believe you should be able to use the same bookmarks as before.

We are also trying to see how we can still track the current race “2004” as well.

Yes, by all means, you may continue to direct your cars to the "Winners Circle" cache.

Please stay tuned for further details. :)

CBR2005

Attention Racer and Fans,

The web pages are up and running, Yahooooo! Finally.

You have links to Race Rules, FAQ’s, Welcome page, and what the Roster Page will look like. Also, there is a CBR Logo page to download and use for your goal card.

Race car OWNERS will need to go to the “Entry Form” to sign up, and if you are going to compete in the Prizes race, select which way you area going to make payment, I’ve included a pay-pal option for you as well.

All NON-Fee based racers should just leave it blank.

There is also a comments field, you can use if needed.

CannonBall Welcome Page

REMEMBER: These are Temporary Pages, until the roster is complete, then we will transfer everything over to the NYGO site.

Good luck one and all. :D

CBR2005

the logo page isn't loading for me at the temp website.

also, have you posted an last call announcement in the general and a TB forums??

also I need paypal information.

Hey Welch,

I tested the page with Netscape and the E, they both work fine.

It might have been that I was tinkering with the color coding.

Nope, no last call, yet!

Pay-pal info has been emailed.

Race On!

CBR2005

somewhere above theres a link to the temp site

heres another one because its quicker

and on the rules page it says:

5.  Send it to:

CannonBall Race 2005

64 Southcrest Ave.

Buffalo, New York 14225 USA

Make your Check/Cheque or Money Order Payable to:

S.Z. in the amout of $5.00 USD.

since this is the only address i've seen so far, thats where I'll be sending mine

hope that helps

welch

Wooohooo!  My travel bug from the 2003 Travel Bug Cannonball Run just made it to San Diego, California!  ;)  ;)

Unfortunately, the *PHEROMONE Cache* has been archived.:blink:

NOTE: The 2003 CannonBall Run racing tb owners should re-direct their tb towards a different cache.

I've sent an email to CacheNCarryMA :D

Congrads on almost reaching your goal. :D

SF1

Thanks. What are the odds that PHEROMONE is reactivated before my TB gets there? It should arrive there in another year! B)

I keep finding interesting things with "wheels"  <_<

Hey there the hermit crabs,

Your tb's are great! Nice job with the goal tag. :blink:

They arrived today safe and sound. :ph34r:

It's lunch time here and Meals on wheels looks awful tasty, right now. :)

If it makes it thru lunch, your two tb’s will be fueled up and awaiting the rest of the entries to start the race.

Congrads and Good Luck,

CBR2005

I wish these didn't have to be wheeled vehicles.  I had a really cool idea for a bug but can't use it for this.  *pouts*  I have to remember to get a hotwheels car.

fly, have we found the perfect wheeled vehicle for you! We picked this up in a cache today... if you like, we can send it to you and you should be able to turn it into a cannonball-run TB by the deadline.

check out the wheel visible under the back leg:

fly7ms.jpg

This years Cannonball Race sounds like it will be harder to finish, but I'm game. Both of my racers from last year have gotten muggled, hopefully this year they will make it farther across the country. I think that I will have the cars race against each other, because I don't think that I will win, but you know you never know, after all last year I lost both of mine.

Is there a deadline as to when the race will end? Last years race ended 9 months after it started. Will we be given 12 months or less to finish the race? Or will the end point be there forever until the last car wobbles over the finish line?

I was just wondering :laughing: .

This years Cannonball Race sounds like it will be harder to finish, but I'm game.

Yes it is just a little bit harder! We really wanted to include/involve the NorthEast past the NY borders.

This is really the only way, to get them involved, by making a checkpoint up there!

Both of my racers from last year have gotten muggled, hopefully this year they will make it farther across the country. I think that I will have the cars race against each other, because I don't think that I will win, but you know you never know, after all last year I lost both of mine.

We are always sad to here that tb's get muggled. After all they aren't cheap!

Hopefully, your tb's will have better luck this year, and arrive at the finish line cache.

Is there a deadline as to when the race will end? Last years race ended 9 months after it started. Will we be given 12 months or less to finish the race? Or will the end point be there forever until the last car wobbles over the finish line? I was just wondering  B) .

Nope there is no deadline, just as in last years race. The race is open till all the prizes are handed / awarded. Last years GCJ271 Winner's Circle is still there and active. I'll find out if/when the end cache will be physically removed. You can also re-direct any former race bug to this years final cache. The cacher depositing a former racer, will not be allowed to claim a FTF or find until after a 2005 tb' arrives. They will only be able to use a **post a note**, till then! I'm hoping this will help recover some longlost tb's.

BTW: I just herd over the weekend that we may have more prizes on the way.

And yes, you still have time to get your bug(s) registered!

CBR2005

My racer is on the way to the starting line.  Hope there is a good field for the race this year.

Hey Baxter-MD,

I recieved your tb and check.

Thanks for the extra zeros. ;)

I just hope the bank will deposit it.

If there's a problem I'll let you know via email !

CBR2005

I'm not going to ask how many extra zeros there are. :D Note to self, stop writing checks after midnight. :unsure: I'd be happy to send you another check if you think there will be any problem - - or if you think the bank will view the check as being for more than $50. :D

If there is any problem please e-mail me at baxterbox@hotmail.com.

I'm not going to ask how many extra zeros there are.  :)  Note to self, stop writing checks after midnight.  :)  Except to me! - or if you think the bank will view the check as being for more than $50.  :)

No Worry! It's just two extra zeros, LOL. :lol:

Yupp! You added an extra decimal and two more zeros.

If I have a problem depositing it for the $5.00 I'll let you know.

We can rectify it then.

NO! I won't try to do it for **$5.00.00**. I'll explain to the Bank. :lol:

CBR2005

I'm not sure I understand the "Checkpoint Charlie" portion of the race.  Is this just where the travel bugs will be logged into before they are logged into the (now secret) starting point for the race?

Checkpoint Charlie is a real cache *GCGG32R* that all tb's will have to visit.

This will allow the Upper Northeast to participate in the Race.

In the past, geographically they have been left out due to their physical location to the start or finish.

So I/we decided to put in a *checkpoint cache* to make the tb’s reach and allow that area to get involved.

The start is a secret, until 48 hrs before the start of the race.

I'll then be **emailing owners only** as to the general area ( not the exact place) of the start, stating the race will start within 48 hrs.

Your tb's will still be logged (grabbed) under *CBR2005* until the start,

when the first (handler) cacher logs it out my hands as not to disclose the location.

Welch, yes this is the only "Official Checkpoint".

There is a start, checkpoint, and finish line "ONLY".

No punches, surprises or secrets, except for the starting cache.

As explained above!

I hope, this helps explain more in detail.

CBR2005

I'm waiting on my TB tags to come in, and I'll get my entries sent to you as soon as I can.  UPS says the tags will come in on the 25th(gasp), is that going to be too late, even if I send them immediately after that?

Hey Marmulade,

I see no problem.

Don't sweat it, the Chicago Area is usually two day

service via regular USPS ground (snail mail) delivery.:unsure:

You could make your tags in the down time!

This way you won't have to rush it. :laughing:

Don't forget to fill out the entry form and which flavor race your entering.

Start here CBR Welcome Page , then the CBR Rules Page , and finally the CBR Entry Form ,

also check out the FAQ page and the CBR Logo page if you want to put the logo on your goal tag and TB's home page.

Good Luck!

CBR2005