Cannonball Race 2005

CBR2005

Greetings CannonBall Racers and Fans,

We are still working on the final tid-bits of the Race.

Soon, we will be posting all the necessary:

1) Links you will need, for the stats and map.

2) What the rule changes are.

3) What the prizes and categories are. We’re still waiting on some responses.

4) Where you will mail you TB to.

5) And most importantly the starting and finish cache.

NOTE If you haven’t ordered your TB tags yet, you may want to do so now!

Good Luck and Race On!

I think I just might pass on this one if there is an entry fee again.

I didn't much like the curve that was thrown last year causing many racer's info cards to be wrong. :unsure:

The huge race medallion attached at the starting line defeated the purpose of some bugs limiting the size of a cache they could be placed in. The two that I moved didn't retain theirs before I got to them. <_<

Can't wait.  I have read about the other Cannonball races and am looking forward to participating in this one!

Glad to here you want to enter!

Will the race start sometime in March or April again?

Hoping to start the race sometime in April or early May.

I think I just might pass on this one if there is an entry fee again.

Maybe I can persuade you to enter this one.

I’ve thought about two types of entries:

1) with entry fee – eligible for prizes

The 1st finisher will get first choice, 2nd finisher get second choice, and so on.

a ) Premium Membership for one yr.

b ) 2- mapping software’s retail value $50.00 ea

c ) travel bugs

d ) still waiting on some other stuff – all prizes will be listed prior, so you can decide if you want to enter the fee race.

2) non-entry fee – “certificates only” for finishing.

I didn't much like the curve that was thrown last year causing many racer's info cards to be wrong. :D

If you recall, in the first race, there were some major problems with racers being captured.

Therefore, last year a twist was thrown in, to eliminate that problem.

The huge race medallion attached at the starting line defeated the purpose of some bugs limiting the size of a cache they could be placed in. The two that I moved didn't retain theirs before I got to them. B)

You will make up your own goal tag with the starting and end caches listed.

You will attach your own tag as you wish. “Race Officials” will not tamper with it in any way. Note: This also means, if you forgot to put your goal tag on the tb, it will be released, as is.

We can discuss more issues as they come up.

CBR2005

I was just wondering if you have a website up with the details for this new race?  Also I was wondering how often you update the website during the race so that we can see current results for the race.

Thanks

Jeremy

Yes, we will have the NYGO website up with all the details for the 2005 race.

We will be updating it, as we get notices of tb movement, up to twice a day.

I’m guessing the first few days will be the busiest. I we can automate everything, it may be done more frequently. We are still working on the details.

They will look just like the following links: 2004 Race

Stats - http://www.ny-geocaching.org/cannonballrun/stats.php

Map - http://www.ny-geocaching.org/cannonballrun/maps.php

Can they be mailed between caches?  I see there are couple travel bugs out there that have specifically written that is what they do.  Does this make sense?

Absolutely not!

That would be an illegal move, and would cause the bug to be DisQualified . We'll be watching and verifying movements B) .

Travel bugs should never be mailed, anyway! :D

CBR2005

Will the 'new' rules be written out in full and posted on a website and/or here in the forums?

Will announcements be made other than in the TB forum?

will there be a cap on the number of race enteries?

I'll wait for the full details on the race before I decide, but I'm sure I'll go the non-entry fee rout if I join.

Am I clear on this from a previous post; I pick the start and finish points for my bugs this time????? :o That doesn't seem right......

Will the 'new' rules be written out in full and posted on a website and/or here in the forums?

Yes, both. They will be posted here and again on the CannonBall Race Page, just like in the past. As soon as the final details and prizes are worked out, we will be posting them.

Really the only "new" rule is that any wheeled item is allowed! :o

will there be a cap on the number of race enteries?

No, not that I can see as, we speak. The more the better! :P

CBR2005

Am I clear on this from a previous post; I pick the start and finish points for my bugs this time????? :o 

No No No! .We will let you know the end cache, once we finish the details.

This should allow each owner to make their own tag, and attach it the way they want.

It will be run just like the past races.

CBR2005

I enjoyed watching the 2003 race and even got to move a few racers along. Thanks to frequent updates on the race web pages. I was also watching the 2004 race and noticed that the map web page was not updated very often. When I looked at it today, I see it was last updated Nov. 29, 2004. So now to my question. Will the 2005 race have frequently updated stats and maps?

I enjoyed watching the 2003 race and even got to move a few racers along.  Thanks to frequent updates on the race web pages.  I was also watching the 2004 race and noticed that the map web page was not updated very often.  When I looked at it today, I see it was last updated Nov. 29, 2004.  So now to my question.  Will the 2005 race have frequently updated stats and maps?

1) On behalf of all racers, thanks for helping to move them across the country and making the race entertaining and fun. Thank You! :D

2) We had some problems, when GC updated parts of their system. It hurt our auto updaters. We then had to manually update everything. Yes, this means cut and paste several pieces of info and then upload info into a spreadsheet and a separate mapping system. By the time we were able to get the program back on track, the race was over.

3) That’s because the race is over. The race was “Officially Closed”. Yes, we have a Winner! Link – Close of Race

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1205643

4) Yes, we will have the NYGO website up with all the details for the 2005 race.

5) We will be updating it, as we get notices of tb movement, up to twice a day. I’m guessing, the first few days will be the busiest. If we can automate everything, it may be done more frequently. We are still working on the details and prizes.

CBR2005

Can we attach a TB tag to a yellow jeep TB and enter it? :ph34r:

No, you cannot attach a TB to a Yellow Jeep TB. It already has a TB number. Jeep owns the Yellow Jeep Travel Bug Tags, and they want to see their bugs travel as any normal TB would travel. No hoarding, no souvenir collecting, it's just a travel bug. If you want your own travel bug to enter the race you can get one at www.Groundspeak.com (or pay more on ebay) and send it out. You cannot hijack another person's bug, and Jeep counts as a person, they own the bug. Get your own. Any questions? Ask me.

Can we attach a TB tag to a yellow jeep TB and enter it? :ph34r:

I would stay away from the "Jeep idea" !

It might not last more than a move or two!

That would also, hinder your chance on finishing the race.

A Jeep type vehicle, itself, would be legal to enter - per say!

If you were to remove, the “Original TB tag” – that would be considered harming/destroying a tb.

That is a two-fold big mistake!

1) TPTB can and should “ban” your account”!

2) The Race Officials, in no uncertain terms, will make every effort,

to apprehend and confiscate the tb, and return it to GC.

Therefore, rendering the tb disqualified.

Simply put, DO NOT - DO IT!

This Race is to be a fun competition. In no way, would “We” ever condone or allow someone to harm another players game piece.

A diversion is totally different, from defacing / hijacking a tb.

Thanks Eartha and Welch for the assists. :D

CBR2005

So when do the details come out? Is there a web page to read the rules? When does the race start? All I know right now is that my TB must have wheels and it cannot be a stolen Jeep. :mad: I am interested in entering.

I'm thinking about entering. I really like the no fee idea, as last year my two TB's did not even make it close to the finish line. One was stolen and the other one is now hanging out in Montana. Can my racer from 2004 still get to the finish line? Is the 2004 finishline still there? I know that my 2004 racer is still headed east. Please send let us know about more details.

Greetings CannonBall Racers and Fans,

Sorry for the long absence. We have been progressing, with the details on the race. As things look now, we should be starting the race in April.

I’m sure you’re all well aware of the weather out west (major rains), and back east (snow storms), we haven’t been able to place the end cache or starting cache, yet. Hopefully in the next two weeks, everything will be ready to go.

At that time, we will post the necessary links (stats and map pages), the CannonBall Race 2005 logo to include on your goal tag, the end cache waypoint, and where to ship your tb to start the race.

Sorry for the late response

CBR2005

CBR2005

So racers,

which type do you prefer,

I’m listening!

CBR2005

type two

I think the moreing interesting part is just watching the enteres move.

I didn't really care about the medals attached in the last race, I didn't see that they helped move the racers along any better. OTOH, having a small fee could help speed getting a tracking/stats site set up.

CBR2005

So racers,

I’m listening!

CBR2005

I'd prefer the Non-entry fee option. I don't care about winning any prizes.

Hi Mortaine and Other Race Fans,

I thought you were going to have it both ways-- folks could pay an entry fee if they wanted to compete for prizes, or race for free for a certificate.

I would probably pay the entry fee; I know there's overhead involved in something like this.

My comment was I’ve thought about two types of entries:

CBR2005

I wasn’t sure what type of response we would get by mixing them.

Yes, there is an overhead, for the prizes.

We don’t want to confuse anyone, with the “two flavors”. But, we still want to have a massive field of entries. Only having a few entries, wouldn’t be as entertaining.

To have it both ways, we would need to have a minimum of racers paying a $5.00 registration fee, to cover the prizes. That should give us some decent prizes down to about 5th place. Separating the field, into two classes, should be no problem.

I’ll start counting, the number of racers wanting the fee/prize based.

I just checked past race entries, the first race (2003 / no-fee) had 71 entries, and the second race (2004 / fee based) has 77 entries.

Special Note #1: To Team GeoDillo – 2004 Winner, last years race official informed me, your fee is paid for this years entry, shall you choose to enter that side. If not, contact me via pm or email.

Note #2: Any and all former racers, may continue to direct their car to the 2004 Winner’s Circle end cache GCJ271. We will be keeping it in place to allow other racers to finish , shall they choose. Or you may choose, to redirect your car, via contacting the present handler, and changing your goal card.

CBR2005

A $5 entry fee is fine-- that's about what I paid for my TB tag.

I don't know that comparing 2003 and 2004 stats is all that effective-- I think geocaching as a sport has had tremendous growth between 2003 and today, and people who would have joined the race in 2003 would have been around for a while. I think you would get a lot more people participating today.

I wasn’t sure what type of response we would get by mixing them.

It seems to me that you would have a lot of people signing up if you offered both flavors, because there are some who wouldn't consider it worth the entry fee, and then there are some who would see the entry fee like a lottery ticket-- pay it to get into the running for a prize! [since the actual task that results in the prize is outside the owner's control...]

At least, that's how I see it.

Oh, more rules questions: Can the TB owner pick up the bug, if it ends up in a nearby cache, to move it?

CBR2005

So racers,

I’m listening!

CBR2005

I'll race for the glory - - but if there is overhead costs, I'd be happy to pay a fee.

Greetings All,

It’s great to see those responses.

Seeing you’ve been posting you want two flavors, we will be setting things up for the two categories.

How about the Pro / Am.

Pro as in Professional for fee paid.

Armature for the certificate – non fee.

Here are some answers to your questions.

Can the TB owner pick up the bug, if it ends up in a nearby cache, to move it?

Yes, the owner can move their own or anyone else’s (friend and foe) tb.

You are ONLY asked to treat it respectfully, like your own.

One should not damage or deface any part of another racers tb.

Results would be your racer being DQ’ed.

I would do this, even with an entry fee of $5.  What the heck, right?

Too bad I only started cruising the forums this week - no time to get a TB!

But I'll be watching this race to see what the outcomes are for sure. :D

There’s still time to order your tb. Just do it soon, in case of back order.

Sorry to ask so many questions....

Can the TB travel by air, as long as it logs into a cache in the next state?

Ask at will! No tb’s must travel by ground.

And before anyone asks – no they can’t be mailed or fed-ex’ed, no commercial transportation what so ever!.

They must travel in typical fashion, from cache to cache.

Can the TB owner offer small "bribes" (thank you postcards, not gold doubloons) to anyone moving their bug along?

Yes, and my acceptable starting bribe is $100.00 for pole position.

That just means, I leave it at the first lightpole I see.

You may not get far, though.

Yes, if you choose to, it your choice how you get your racer to move.

I’ve been hesitant on posting, the rules, starting and end cache,

and where to mail them to until we get the final cache listed and in place.

This year owners will be making their own goal tags,

and attaching them to their own tb.

We will give you plenty of notice before starting the race.

You've got your 45 day notice.(+ or -). :)

CBR2005

We will give you plenty of notice before starting the race.

You've got your 45 day notice.(+ or -). :D

Are you joking in that it will be in the next two months? or actually saying the date will be in mid to late April??? (even thought thats almost the same thing :) )

No Joking!

Basically, the answer is yes.

I just got another piece of email about the game in today’s am emails.

I’m hoping to get the last two pieces by next Wednesday, one being the final cache placed and set to go.

I’m aiming to start the race between April 15 and the end of the month.

If everyone plans to mail out their tb on or about April 1st, there should be no problem receiving the travel bugs on time.

Worst case scenario, would be to delay the start by one weekend, if and only if, there were that many late entries.

Otherwise, get ready to race!

Who will be this years winner?

It may be you.

CBR2005