Winter Caching

colonelby

Hey, colonelby here.

I've just been wondering how geocachers are going about finding caches in the winter snow. Personally I enjoy skiing and there are several decent looking caches along the trail. (nice)

Do you have any unique winter caching methods or stories? Lets hear 'em.

Yazoo!

colonelby

Caching in Columbia, SC today. Temps were in the lower 70's. I just rolled up my sleeves and followed the GPS'r.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I've never tried caching in the snow. Sounds REALLY challenging. I imagine a good sturdy hiking stick would help and maybe a small axe to break up thick ice. I'm no expert on the matter, but I do love snowboarding.

We went cachin' Saturday with about five inches of snow on the ground. It's definitely more challenging, and we only had time for six (had planned nine). I was frozen by the end.....and on the last one, I could barely sign the log. :o

I just made sure I had my trusty walking stick with me......comes in handy when that snow-covered, slippery trail suddenly goes downhill! And you can use it to poke around in the snow too!

A ski or trekking pole comes in handy for poking around in snow. One of the keys is to look at or above the snow for clues. Since caches are often hidden at the base of trees, those are the first spots I check. Then look for the telltale mound in the snow that might be covering a boulder or down tree and check around those, particularly at the base of a down tree, or at any splits in the branches.

Finally be sure to make misleading tracks around the area so the next person doesn't have a trail right to the cache.