Calgary - Nose Hill Info

Gonzo-YT

Hi All,

I'll be down in Calgary in the first week of February. I plan to find the Who Knows? cache.

It seems like there are like 15 more caches in that park. I normally don't try to find a lot of caches -- I like to pick a few that interest me. Anyone have recommendations for other caches in the area that I might want to check out? Preferably ones with longer hikes or more challenging terrain, and I don't do puzzles or any of that stuff.

Also, is there a good topo map of Nose Hill park? Something that shows all the trails and has a UTM grid, preferably. I realize that I wouldn't need one, but I like doing map and compass work and I also like to collect maps from places I cache.

Regards,

Anthony

My suggestion for a good Nose Hill cache is this one.

Tres cool... I don't normally do those oddball caches, but this one is a really cool one to do using a compass. I would use the GPS to find my starting point and then try to do the rest of it with compass headings and counting paces, then check to see how close I was to the actual waypoints. That one is on the list.

I would use the GPS to find my starting point and then try to do the rest of it with compass headings and counting paces, then check to see how close I was to the actual waypoints.

That would be really cool. The cache hasn't had any really oddball attempts in a while, but then again maybe my definition of oddball has changed since j2d2 posted his maze results. :huh:

Anyone have recommendations for other caches in the area that I might want to check out?

I have fallen behind the number of caches placed up there, so these recommendations are just *my* favorites.

The best part of Nose Hill for me is the view of Calgary city centre. I think you can take this in from Cat Nose Hill, but even if you can't the cache has some nice aesthetics.

The Nose Hill Animal Colouring Cache has some nice aesthetics too: It's fun! It might be a little difficult to colour a card in -20C weather, but anything warmer than that is worth the effort.

There are also a couple of Brass Caps on Nose Hill, some of which have a view of the city. One is near the old quarry which might be of interest, but it is a fair ways under frozen soil right now so you really *gotta* want that one.

Right Under Dave's Nose! is a virtual, but it is near a glacial erratic that was used as a rubbing stone by the buffalo. I think it is worth a visit, and I think it is near Who Knows.

Advanced Triangulation 3 is near a slightly interesting piece of history. Although it is a stage in a multicache it is still worthwhile if you're at this end of the park (and it counts as a find).

And finally, the one I miss the most: Half of PI(e)!

To be fair, my compass work wasn't exactly top-notch, but you'll definitely never get the accuracy of GPS when doing something like that. It was lots of fun to do it that way, I really liked that cache.

Remember the compass is abother good one for me to put my skills into action. I'm actually quite close by and had thought of trying it, but three caches here is enough for this trip. I'll leave it for next time, especially since I skied 55 km yesterday and am feeling a bit tired. :D

I am quite pleased that I found both Calgary and Edmonton's oldest active caches. That was a lot of fun. So far, I've been very impressed with Alberta caching. Congratulations, and keep it up everyone.

Regards,

Anthony

Try Maptown

I've been on the 'hunt' for a decent map of Nose Hill myself. Not much out there. Here's what I've come up with:

I've checked Map Town and all they have is the usual 1:50,000 topo's. I've checked their software (which is just all the Alberta Topo's scanned), and I've spoken with two of their staff, they don't have anything smaller then a 1:50,000. No 1:10000 or 1:20000.

So don't waste your time looking for a map of Nose Hill at Map Town. They don't have anything that would suffice.

I HAVE NOT checked pilot sectionals or the Mining sector.

I've checked with various City of Calgary depts. and they will do an ariel photo of any area you want, but it starts around like $213.oo. Way too much and their are not topos.

I've tried using google earth standard, but any res. you try to increase (by taking many screenshots and piecing them together) doesn't seem to want to fit, and trying to add any Long or lat is quite a process (Unless you know something I don't)

Orienteering Alberta will just refer you to Orienteering Calgary. So anyone reading don't bother and just skip to Orienteering Calgary.

If you email Orienteering Calgary (info@orienteeringcalgary.ca) they have maps of Nose hill, but it ain't much. There's no declination, true north, etc. just basic meg. north and the map has several markings for their 'fake' trail head markers for practice.

Here's one map they offer

http://orienteeringcalgary.ca/events/permanent-courses/

click on "Download Seven Summits Map (1MB TIF)" It's Nose hill.

What you'll get is a Pic of Nose hill in relief, with some markings. this is basically the same map that Orient. Calgary will sell you, but in better res. they have a printer at a member's home (you have to contact to set up an appointment) and they will print you off (for $5) a map that's twice as big as your standard legal sized sheet of paper.

That's all I could find at this point.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ for the topographic info and roads.

http://www.calgarycachers.net/trailmaps/maps.htm for all of the official trail.

Both maps work together on a GPS. 95% of the trails are based on GPS tracklogs and are thus exact.

Note that the map you reference above is stated as being 15 years old. The entire trail system was revised two years ago. In addition, the rules for off trail use were changed. Only certain areas allow for off trail use. In all other areas, you must stay on the designated trails as shown on the city map. These are NOT signed well in the field and using the Southern Alberta trail maps is the only easy way to ensure you are following the rules....

The official trail map is here: http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/parks_...se_hill_map.pdf In all brown areas, you are meant to only travel on the trails shown.

Edited by Red90

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ for the topographic info and roads.

http://www.calgarycachers.net/trailmaps/maps.htm for all of the official trail.

Both maps work together on a GPS. 95% of the trails are based on GPS tracklogs and are thus exact.

Note that the map you reference above is stated as being 15 years old. The entire trail system was revised two years ago. In addition, the rules for off trail use were changed. Only certain areas allow for off trail use. In all other areas, you must stay on the designated trails as shown on the city map. These are NOT signed well in the field and using the Southern Alberta trail maps is the only easy way to ensure you are following the rules....

The official trail map is here: http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/parks_...se_hill_map.pdf In all brown areas, you are meant to only travel on the trails shown.

Yeah, I know it's 15 years old - they warned me about that.

btw, I'm not looking for a trail map, or something for a GPS. So that's no help to me either. I was looking for a TOPO map, but as I'm finding out, one for Nose hill is hard to get.

I gave you a link for free topo maps above. These can be used on a computer and can be printed in addition to on a GPS. All the country's topo maps are also available in scanned versions on the federal government website for free. Or you could go a nd buy the printed federal or provincial maps...

Maybe if you explain exactly what you want, we can help. We have access sources for a lot of different data.

Edited by Red90

I gave you a link for free topo maps above. These can be used on a computer and can be printed in addition to on a GPS. All the country's topo maps are also available in scanned versions on the federal government website for free. Or you could go a nd buy the printed federal or provincial maps...

Maybe if you explain exactly what you want, we can help. We have access sources for a lot of different data.

I have two nephews (age 11 and 12) and I want to teach them basic map reading and travel with a basic compass.

(I'm not using - Nor do I have, Nor am I going to go out and buy a GPS. So I would like someone to be able to look past this, and offer old School help.). I thought Nose Hill would be a good place for them to start off on. Now, if off-trail use has become a no-no, then I will have to rethink this, and find another close and 'safe area' for them to practice.

So what I'm looking for is a map of Nose hill - Just Nose Hill. I was hoping for 1:10,000 or close to that scale. Something with relief (contour lines) showing elevation and some basic land marks. An example would be like the major intersections that border the hill and/or treed areas to teach them triangulation.

Usually federal or Provincial maps typically are scaled at 1:50,000, right? That isn't any good to me. it's not gonna be detailed enough, besides, you can get those pretty much anywhere. I've been to Map Town, and even their computer software is the same - Scanned 1:50,000 topo's. I've even tried the Mining sector.

I've looked at the links you provided, and I'm trying to download the torrents - No peers showing yet. But I'm guessing these downloads are also the typical 1:50,000's. I know you can zoom in, but they still won't show the detail I was hoping for.

Thank you, and I appreciate the help.

Edited by whuntmore

Topographic data in Canada is all based on 1:50000 aerial photographs made in the 1960s. The Toporama data is exactly the same 1:50000 data. The current maps and online data is ALL from those same aerial photographs which were hand contoured by some government employee 40 years ago......

All of it.....except places that have been done later by private organizations. Some Provinces like Ontario and BC have done higher scale stuff, but not Alberta.

The Ibycus maps use the same topographic data but include modern roads and points of interest.

The orienteering club has a good map for Edworthy park at better scale that might suit your needs.

Now, I've been navigating by map and compass for 35 years. the 1:50000 federal maps worked fine when I learned how to navigate those many years back and they still work fine today. I suggest heading out to the mountains where locating landmarks is an easier task. Plus it makes a nice day out with the kids....

Topographic data in Canada is all based on 1:50000 aerial photographs made in the 1960s. The Toporama data is exactly the same 1:50000 data. The current maps and online data is ALL from those same aerial photographs which were hand contoured by some government employee 40 years ago......

All of it.....except places that have been done later by private organizations. Some Provinces like Ontario and BC have done higher scale stuff, but not Alberta.

The Ibycus maps use the same topographic data but include modern roads and points of interest.

The orienteering club has a good map for Edworthy park at better scale that might suit your needs.

Now, I've been navigating by map and compass for 35 years. the 1:50000 federal maps worked fine when I learned how to navigate those many years back and they still work fine today. I suggest heading out to the mountains where locating landmarks is an easier task. Plus it makes a nice day out with the kids....

Not trying to sound rude here, but first you ask me what I'm looking for, then you tell me I should just use the typical topo's and head to the mountains.

First off, these are not my kids - So I can't dictate where I can take them - and I'm not going to debate this point. Those are the rules set down by the children's parents.

I've learned on the 1:50000 topo's too. So what's your point? You asked me what I'm looking for (specifically) and I explained why. If you don't know, or can't help that's perfectly alright, but suggesting something different, isn't what I was looking for. I am looking for a small, detailed topo map of Nose Hill.

Glad you have that much experience - My sister and brother in law don't. They have Zero years. And they don't have that kind of time to pack up and head to the Mountains for the day. This is supposed to be simple, easy, close, and fun for the kids. That's what I have to work with, So It's nose hill or somewhere else close that's inside the city. Those are my choices.

I've been in contact with Orienteering Calgary, and I'll have to stick with that.

Thank you to everyone who offered the help and suggestions. I will search those sites posted, and see if I can find what I'm looking for.