Most "in Plain Sight" Cache You've Found?

tjmack05

The Witch Hunt sounds pretty cool. That's kinda what I was thinking of as far as creepy. There's a place in NJ known as Demon's Alley, which is basically an totally abandoned neighborhood. The houses are completely intact, toys in the front yards, furniture inside, etc. It seems as though the inhabitants simply vanished. It's reeeeally creepy. I can only imaging following the trail of a cache, only to end up in the middle of that place.

Two of them that were a blast.

The first was a micro called "In Plain Sight." It's now archived, but it was one of those round Altoids tins with a reflector glued to the front. It was magnetically attached to a street sign, right where you would expect a reflector to be found. I know this method has been used a lot since then, but this was the first time I had encountered it (over 2 years ago) and it was amazing at the time.

The other one is this one. I refuse to talk about it, lest I ruin the surprise. But it's AMAZING. Thousands of people see it every day. Only the chosen ones can log it. :laughing:

Bret

I can think of a couple of caches where I felt really exposed. There are a whole series of caches hidden on the front "porch" of Cracker Barrel restaurants - it's just plain uncomfortable to hunt for a micro under the watchful gaze of somebody eating their lunch :o .

Another cache that actually went out of its way to make the hunter look and feel ridiculous is a web cam cache that is looking out over a busy street on a university campus. The instructions are to hold your arms up in a "Y" while having your picture taken. I've seen other webcams that instructed you to assume a "Disco Fever" pose. Talk about embarassing!

White 5 gallon bucket in the palmettos, maybe 100 feet off trail. Just sitting there, this hide lasted several years, finally died in a controlled burn. Another hide, attached to the back of a park sign in a small city park. Fully exposed, just strapped to the sign. My all time favorite, a small cache mounted Jacksonville style in a pink plastic flamingo just off a user trail. Fully in view of the trail. Hide archived by the owner as trash was being dumped in the area.

Silver Dragon Tale is a good one. We just did it this past weekend. It is a clever mystery cache, but it is in very plain sight, once you know where it is. I don't want to give away how to solve the mystery so I won't say more about it. It was one of the more enjoyable ones we have done because of the challenge of knowing it was in plain sight.

Hank

I did this one yesterday. It's only a week old. It's named, appropriately enough for this thread In plain view, and it’s definitely that. Disguised, but staring you right in the face. It's by far the most in plain view cache I’ve done. I can’t explain the disguise without spoiling the cache.

Because of its ‘in your face’ location it may be the first truly wheelchair accessible cache I’ve seen.

What surprised me is how many people are finding it. Several newbies found it and no one has logged a DNF yet.

Edited by Thot
I don't think you can get more obvious than THIS cache...

That is really, really original! I love it! What was it disguised as? I see there is a white one right beside it?

What was it disguised as?

Um...a big, green laminated sheet of paper that says "GEOCACHE" on it, behind which was a CD tin and a few magnets. It's right at the corner of a major street and a freeway off-ramp so literally tens of thousands of people drive by it every day.

(If you look closely in the center of the picture, you can see the cache.) <_<

Um...a big, green laminated sheet of paper that says "GEOCACHE" on it, behind which was a CD tin and a few magnets. It's right at the corner of a major street and a freeway off-ramp so literally tens of thousands of people drive by it every day.

(If you look closely in the center of the picture, you can see the cache.) 

I can see it! I dont have a pen though. Think I can log it as a find?

(If you look closely in the center of the picture, you can see the cache.) :D

That just cries out for a link to Find the Spam, that ancient and honorable page from the Web's dim beginnings (the first time I saw the point of putting pictures with internet content).

The most "in plain sight" cache I've done undoubtedly wasn't meant to be. It was a matte black ammo can sitting in a large clearing under some powerlines in an area heavily frequented by kids. How on earth it sat that long without being vandalized or carried away, I could not say. I was afraid to move it, so I dragged a dead pine branch over it.