Cache Adoption

Phideo

I'm just curious how long I need to wait to hear back from gc regarding my request to adopt, because I can't seem to find any formal policies regarding cache adoption. That's not to say they don't exist - I just couldn't find any. I sent an email to geocaching.com and recieved an email back from general inquiries with a tracking number included. Not sure what to do with the number or where to even enter it to track my request. I have left a note on the cache page and contacted the owner who has moved out of state. So for all that have gone before me, may be you could let me know how long this process takes.

How long is reasonable? That depends. Did the cache owner also send an email saying you had offered to adopt the cache? That's a lot quicker than if the cache owner is MIA and the site is going to make a reasonable effort to contact them and give them a chance to respond and allow for the fact they they could of just started a one month vacation...

May I suggest emailing your local approver. It did the trick for me :huh: Super-fast service with a smile :lol:

Well Jeff I like this idea. I didn't want to bother my local approver for fear of not knowing this was 'allowed'. Again, I couldn't find any published procedure for adopting caches. But I guess if you did it then I can.....

There was a local cache that was archived recently because the owner was not responding to inquiries about finds. I emailed the moderator who archived the cache and was able to adopt in within 3 days!

In that case, adoption's not necessary. Once the cache was archived, you were free to place your own cache there.

But when placing a cache where a previous cache was archived, it's a good idea to investigate why the other cache was archived.