Magellan 315 Averaging?

aronburn

My Magellan Says "Averaging" and a timmer comes up is this Corrdinate averaging or is this averaging the error ratting?

P.S. I hope this makes sense It sure doesent to me.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Its averaging the co-ords, watch the last 3 numbers, they will change some. With the latest version, 3.15, averaging starts when you slow down below .2meters/sec. To get it out of averaging, do the magellan hula. Or turn it on and back off for a quick check of position.

As you probably know the GPS works by receiving signals from various satellites. The signals that are received are computed in the receiver as time units (how long the signal bounce was). The GPS takes those signals from multiple sources and is able to plot your location on earth.

When you move the unit constantly has to recompute where it's at and guesses how far off it's displayed position is from it's actual location in EPE or Estimated Position Error.

When you're not moving the unit can "concentrate" on the signals received without compensating for constant position changes. The averaging that you see is the GPS getting a tighter fix on where it's at. The longer the average the more accurate the position displayed.