Mismatched Coordinates

camp chaos clan

The other day we became very frustrated trying to find a cache, and when I checked, the coords on my Palm were different than on my GPSr. I changed teh GPS coords - but never did finsd the cache (it was a micro container).

Has anyone else noticed a difference when they download teh coords in the 2 different formats??

thanks, Camp Chaos Clan

I'm a little unsure of what you mean. Do you mean that you had a Palm-based GPS rcvr as well as your hand-held and that you had downloaded the co-ords into both and they were different, or that you had sent them to an application such as "Cachemate" on your palm and they were different?

What application were you using to send them to your GPS?

Betcha they weren't in a different datum, but just displaying in a different format.

More likely than not one of the units (the palm) is set to either H DD.DDDDD° (decimal degrees) or H DD° MM' SS.S" (degrees/minutes/decimal seconds). Geocaching.com and many of the out-of-the-box-defaults on the units use H DD° MM.MMM' (degrees/decimal minutes).

The difference would be

Geocaching.com: N 43° 12.453 W 124° 23.126

or the other two formats: N 43.20755° W 124.38543° and N 43° 12' 27.2", W 124° 23' 07.6"

Since the coordinates were downloaded, directly from the site for Cachemate, and GSAK for your GPS, they should have matched completely.

However, if one unit were set to display either a different format (what I'm suggesting) or a different datum (what others are suggesting), the downloaded coordinates would not LOOK the same on the units.

Edited by Markwell

Yesterday I had the same problem. GPS had one set of coords for the waypoint, Cachemate had another (slightly different). I typed the Cachemate coords into the GPS and it brought to me the correct area (about 75 m away).

Unfortunately, I can remember which data came from which software package (sometimes I use the PocketQuery, other times I use GeoToad). In this case, I _think_ the PDA data was collected via GeoToad while the GPS was via PocketQuery->Mapsource 6.5. Oddly enough, the coords for the other waypoint which was d/l'd at the same time were identical on both devices.

GeoBC