We're Number Six!

Man that list is redundant.  The internet has to be number one.  It makes a lot of other things possible that couldn't even exist on that list.

The list was for innovations over the past 25 years. The internet became forming in the late 60's it wasn't until the early 70's that it really made headway. My guess would be the microchip

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
The list was for innovations over the past 25 years. The internet became forming in the late 60's it wasn't until the early 70's that it really made headway. My guess would be the microchip

The microchip dates to the same period.

They could properly say the Web, I suppose. That dates to 1990 and is the only part of the internet (not counting email) most people are familiar with.

Man that list is redundant.  The internet has to be number one.  It makes a lot of other things possible that couldn't even exist on that list.

El Diablo

More specifically the silicon microchip. If not for that we would have regular computers the size of rooms! :huh: If a home PC is that big, how large would a commercial sized server be? :lol:

Edited by Beta Test

El Diablo

More specifically the silicone microchip. If not for that we would have regular computers the size of rooms! :huh: If a home PC is that big, how large would a commercial sized server be? :lol:

Intel shipped their first microprocessor, the 4004, in 1971 if I remember correctly. And multi-transistor integrated circuits had been around for a few years before that.

Nick

PS: Pedantic point: it's silicon (the chemical element), not silicone (the polymer best known from, um, bathroom tile seals).

El Diablo

The microchip came out of the space program. It was a wonder invention but I think it's too old. I also recall that the internet was invented out of a need for communications after a nuclear war since it was expected the EMP would pretty much destroy our communications system. I could be all washed up on that, the memory is fuzzy, but it's what I recall from somewhere.

That does leave the WWW. part of the internet which is the invention/innovation that really caused it to take off. That doesn't have the same 'ta da' value as the entire internet though.

The list was for innovations over the past 25 years. The internet became forming in the late 60's it wasn't until the early 70's that it really made headway.

But the World Wide Web wasn't invented until '89. It's the WWW that allowed the Internet to go mainstream. I used the internet when it was just the internet.

Also, e-mail was invented in 1971 and fiber optics was invented around the 60s. So they aren't looking at when they were invented but when they became widely used.

I guessing that #1 will be the software that has enabled all of this inovative hardware to work together. To be more specific, TCP/IP, SMTP, and other networking protocol stacks.

Or maybe it will be the George Forman Grill....

Yeah, that's just a little too complex for the people who don't really know computers. You announce something like tha as #1 and people will just be corn-fused.

Internet works for me

Joe Smith

By the way, the George Foreman Grill rocks. The fat just drips right off!

Read somewhere that all the software & computer stuff on the original lunar lander could now fit in a small hand-held calculator which is even more powerful than that lander in storage & function.

There is a new chip that holds 'Terrabytes' of data coming in from China - can you imagine a dozen full length movies on your GPSr with room to spare - THAT's innovation & MY vote!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX