Legend/vista: Are Differences Worth The $?

tjmack05

I'm brand new to GPS, so it's yet to be seen how much I will use it. But, I would like to have the option of using it in the car as well as in the out doors. I use Mapquest to get my directions, so I'm not looking to have my GPS replace that. I just want to know exactly where I am and get myself un-lost if I ever need to while driving. For these purposes, are there any major differences between the Legend and the Vista, that make the Vista worth the extra $? Is is just the memory?

Thanks!

I recently bought the Legend C as opposed to the Vista C mainly due to price and battery life. Garmin's documentation has the Legend C's battery lasting about 30% longer than the Vista C. The new C (color) models in the Legend and Vista both have 24 MB memory so the only difference appears to be the compas and baro altimeter on the Vista. These models also both support auto navigation and it works great with CitySelect.

I backpack often and always have a compass so that feature wasn't a big selling point for me.

Not sure if you are talking about the color models or the grayscale models but when I 1st started geocaching I had a (greyscale) Legend and my caching friend had the (greyscale) Vista. After a while we both agreed that the compass on the Vista was more annoying than helpful and he turned it off. We kept forgetting we had to recalibrate the compass every time he changed batteries. And the way the needle always swung around on the compass page due to the electronic compass was annoying also.

He almost never used the altimeter so for me I would have to decide if the extra memory alone is worth the extra expense of a Vista.