So What Happens Now?

rutson

I know Groundspeak will try and do the right thing.

In the light of all the things that have taken place since Thurday, that will be difficult for some to believe.

....a little harsh, Groundspeak, per se, have always treated myself, and I think Peter also, with respect and, even when at odds with us, with understanding.

I have read that message and regretably it, at least to those UK cachers who are not privy to the big secret some alude to, appears on the face of it to conflict with the reasons they have given in public for resigning. They may have your confidence, but it is difficult to see how, if their reputation has fallen so far in the eyes of others that they must resign, they can be trusted by those people in choosing replacements.

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand how we can move forward if the story as told in public on these boards is true.

BTW - I have just seen in another thread that you have just admitted that mistakes may have been made! If only someone from TPTB had said that on Friday this would all never had been necessary. As you said, reviewers and moderators are only human but ae expected ot do superhuman jobs. I could not agree with you more. Even Lactodorum and Eckington have been known to make mistakes! But I have never known them not admit to the fact or give a reasoned arguement to explain their actions instead of quoting rules that have been missapplied.

Your message has gone a long way towards helping me move on. The first step to solving a problem is to acknowlege that the problem exists. Regretably too many visitors to the Uk board on Thursday, Fridayand Saturday seemed incapable of understanding that.

It is just a shame that so much damage was done before we got here. I am still disgruntled about what has happened, and I wil lforever be disappointed that we have lost two excelent reviewers, but I am prepared ot give the benefit of the doubt to the three of you working together.

Edited by Learned Gerbil
Thanks for that!

I said I was being a bit thick.

Does anybody know when the book of the event is being published?  :huh:

How about only one copy gets written.....

it gets a little TB tag attached....

it gets placed in a cache....

Only joking.... I don't think I want to know what happened behind the scenes. L and E really should have the right to choose to keep things private if they choose to.

(and vice versa come to that).

Edited by kbootb

Who approves new caches in the UK now?

Do they have any understanding of local conditions in the UK?

For example, do they understand the fundamental differences between a US State Park and the UK's national parks such as the Trossachs National Park?

Are they familiar with organisations such as the Forestry Commission and the National Trust, both of which are dissimilar to any equivalents in the US?

Are they familiar with the new right to roam legislation in both Scotland and England?

How can they make good judgements about UK caches if they lack a knowledge of the basics of British life?

If they can't make good judgements, should they make judgements at all?

Cheers, The Forester

It'll be the same as it was in the time before Eckington and Lactodorum took control.... there was a similar chain of events leading to the last resignation! and in the time between new moderators US moderators did it....

and no they don't like any referance to anything against the rules/guidelines, one mention of a pub and it doesnt get approved.

On hinesight it may mean we get to plant shed loads of Virtuals now :laughing:

Edited by Ben Pid

Just a thought - but wasn't the main issue here, the moderation of the forums rather than the approving of caches? Why can't L&E carry on with cache approval and just stop being forum moderators? Do these two roles have to go together?

From the other posts I certainly think that the majority of UK cachers would prefer that to losing them altogether.

Just a thought - but wasn't the main issue here, the moderation of the forums rather than the approving of caches? Why can't L&E carry on with cache approval and just stop being forum moderators? Do these two roles have to go together?

From the other posts I certainly think that the majority of UK cachers would prefer that to losing them altogether.

That would seem a great idea! What do you think guys?

Martin

Just a thought - but wasn't the main issue here, the moderation of the forums rather than the approving of caches?  Why can't L&E carry on with cache approval and just stop being forum moderators?  Do these two roles have to go together?

I think you'll find that 'approving of caches' was very much the original issue. However, we will probably have to wait until Peter writes his autobiography (Vol II - The Lactodorum Years) to find out exactly what happened.

The question about whether a good approver necessarily makes a good moderator (or vice versa) is a good one, though...

Just a thought - but wasn't the main issue here, the moderation of the forums rather than the approving of caches?  Why can't L&E carry on with cache approval and just stop being forum moderators?  Do these two roles have to go together?

That would seem a great idea! What do you think guys?

Martin

That sounds like a very good idea one4zorro... I'm not sure if Eck & Lac ever want to come back though... :laughing:

MarcB

Edited by MarcB

I do not like to think that we have lost the moderator/approvers we have already got but I understand why they may not want to carry on. It must be very obvious the respect in which our geocaching community holds them. However I quite understand why they might have had enough and need a rest /sabbatical . Replacing them will be very difficult.If they are replaced I would hope that the lessons learnt are not forgotten and this mess is not repeated. :o;) .

......one mention of a pub and it doesnt get approved.

I've seen this mentioned before. Why? Some weird 'family' thing? Like pubs don't have play areas and the like :o

It's a cultural thing. US approvers didn't seem to grasp that pubs are part of our way of life. Mentioning a pub on a cache page was seen as a commercial plug and so not allowed.

......one mention of a pub and it doesnt get approved.

I've seen this mentioned before. Why? Some weird 'family' thing? Like pubs don't have play areas and the like :huh:

It's a cultural thing. US approvers didn't seem to grasp that pubs are part of our way of life. Mentioning a pub on a cache page was seen as a commercial plug and so not allowed.

That particular "quirk" is well understood by TPTB at Groundspeak thanks to T&J's efforts some time ago. it's really a non-issue now :huh: At least I hope it's a non-issue or I'll be drinking nothing but "Virtual" pints in Winchester at the end of the month. <_<