Geostorm In A Teacup

Effrem

If Jeremy re-approves - unarchives the cache, you will all likely complain about him breaking the rules.

I dont generally get involved in this stuff but a fun hobby doesnt need to be beat and thrashed like this is.

If you dont like where a movie is going, what do you do?....

I love this sport and cant wait to go caching again. As soon as I can afford Premium membership I will be upgrading. Myself, I'm not going to let such a stupid issue ruin this for me, nor should any of you.

I guess some people get a "high" out of conflict.

"Help Support Tsunami Relief Efforts" get top billing on the front page of Geocaching.com already. It is the top single viewed page on the web site. I'm not sure how much better it gets for visibility on the web site.

There's a place for extreme situations like these and it doesn't go on individual cache listings. Don't make this activity more complicated than it needs to be.

Perhaps "Groundspeaks Policy" is wrong.

Its threads like this one that prove just how right they are.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right, of the democratic people of the west, yet the biggest power on this earth are restricting that right!

Waait a second here. I know I was asleep for a while this afternoon, but when did Groundspeak become the biggest power on this earth?

Waait a second here.  I know I was asleep for a while this afternoon, but when did Groundspeak become the biggest power on this earth?

Oh, man. I hate to be the first one to tell you, but...Jeremy got the bomb. No, seriously. Now it's "follow the guidelines or smoking hole in the ground."

Geez, Hoover, pay attention, why don't you?

Let us not be so arrogant to assume that any more than 0.10% of the members of gc.com have any clue of what goes on behind the scenes here in the forums. I wouldn't even go so far as to say the opinions in the forums represent the caching society at large because I suspect certain personality types are drawn to the forums and certain ones just aren't.

Speak for yourself and move on. TPTB will read it and digest it. Doesn't mean they'll agree, but it is their company after all. True, we're the customers, but again...99.9% of those customers are out there GEOCACHING...not READING and POSTING about geocaching.

MOPAR's reply on the original post hit it square on the head.

Let us not be so arrogant to assume that any more than 0.10% of the members of gc.com have any clue of what goes on behind the scenes here in the forums. I wouldn't even go so far as to say the opinions in the forums represent the caching society at large because I suspect certain personality types are drawn to the forums and certain ones just aren't.

Speak for yourself and move on. TPTB will read it and digest it. Doesn't mean they'll agree, but it is their company after all. True, we're the customers, but again...99.9% of those customers are out there GEOCACHING...not READING and POSTING about geocaching.

MOPAR's reply on the original post hit it square on the head.

If it was just about posting and moving on, then they could do with just an email address for suggestions. As it is, this is a discussion forum so we're free to talk about it all we want (within the guidelines, of course)

HOBBY

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural hobbies

Etymology: short for hobbyhorse

: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

GOOD GOD THIS IS RELAXING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize if GC.com has taken over the world then we are in pretty good shape.....

X

Remember, all that is wrong is my fault. I am the new whipping boy.

I made a joke about this earlier. But that was wrong. If an Admin feels that way, we have done something wrong.

mtn-man is a lone soldier...behind him stands an entire army. When you whip on him the army is comng. Trust me...I'll be leading the charge.

I'm getting tired of hearing about this. :huh: There are probably hundreds if not thousands of cachers around the world that have come to the aid of the tsumani victims. I don't know what else you people want...unless it's a smiley face...well give your self one.

Put this to rest. GC has done their part...now do yours.

El Diablo

mtn-man is a lone soldier...behind him stands an entire army. When you whip on him the army is comng. Trust me...I'll be leading the charge.

El Diablo

ah, yep

There are people who want to help the needy and will do whatever it takes to reach that goal. Then there are others who aren't doing much else. They are happy to be critical of what ever is in front of them.

It's easier to blame the stone than to walk the road.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Waait a second here.  I know I was asleep for a while this afternoon, but when did Groundspeak become the biggest power on this earth?

Oh, man. I hate to be the first one to tell you, but...Jeremy got the bomb. No, seriously. Now it's "follow the guidelines or smoking hole in the ground."

Geez, Hoover, pay attention, why don't you?

Man, that is so cool. I hope each of the reviewers gets one.

Jeremy has been holding out on us. :laughing:

Remember, all that is wrong is my fault.  I am the new whipping boy.

I made a joke about this earlier. But that was wrong. If an Admin feels that way, we have done something wrong.

Thanks El Diablo.

I made the "whipping boy" comment for one reason. Everyone seems to want to blame someone. Heck, why not blame me. If it makes everyone feel better and if we can just move on and learn from this then feel free to blame me. It won't bother me that much. I think we are on the downside of the argument anyway. How much more can people say about this. I'm not saying I am the sacrificial lamb either -- I am just tired of it all.

I am not a lone soldier out here. I am a member of a team. I am backed by the greatest people I have ever worked with in the group from Groundspeak. The reviewers that I share these responsibilities with are the nicest people. After all, we are playing a game that is so very fun. The reviewer team has lost a few members today. This is a sad day. It is a shame that the bickering is making it worse.

I do know that there is a vast army of cachers out there behind the team. We appreciate your support more than you can ever know. Though mistakes have compounded into the mess we are in at this time I have nothing but the highest respect for the people at Groundspeak. There is a reason why this web site is such a good one... Jeremy, Hydee, Elias, Rothstafari, the other administrators that work for Jeremy, the reviewers and all of the cachers out there. Let's come together people. We can all be on the same team.

I know the discussion is not over yet. Let's turn the geostorm into a bright new day... and then let's go enjoy it and do a little geocaching.

Please don't make this an issue of nationality.

Groundspeak is a (fairly small) company in the US.

The caches in this particular case are just caches. They aren't nations, or representatives of nations. They're just boxes in the woods, and one of them isn't even that.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with the action taken, be sure that it has nothing to do with where somebody happens to live.

Agreed 100%.

We in the UK have just lost our two moderators/approvers?

Why, because they tried to do something for the victims in the Asain disaster which they and a great deal of people supported.

Since then the cache has been archived, threads have been closed and locked and people have been upset by the heavy handed approach of U.S moderators.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right, of the democratic people of the west, yet the biggest power on this earth are restricting that right!

I have seen a lot of people switching away from geocaching.com and a lot of caches beeing archived in protest.

You have been quick enough to stop free speech, be quick enough now to stop the rot and put things right on the UK Forum.

Perhaps an explanation would go some way to easing the rift that you have caused between a very active community of British cachers. (although it seems to be more farspread than just the UK)

Explain yourselves please.

Please don't make this an issue of nationality.

Groundspeak is a (fairly small) company in the US.

The caches in this particular case are just caches. They aren't nations, or representatives of nations. They're just boxes in the woods, and one of them isn't even that.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with the action taken, be sure that it has nothing to do with where somebody happens to live.

Jamie

Jamie, it was'nt meant to come across as nationalist, however when someone from your end, closes about 8 threads on the UK board how else are we meant to view it.

People this end are going across to Geocachinguk and other caching sites in droves because of the way it has been handled.

An appology goes a long way, and it means a lot when someone realises that they have actually handled something wrongly.

Best wishes

Wadders

This is called conflict resolution.

You put yourself in some else shoes.

And when you understand their point of view, try to find suitable compromise.

I asked for flexiblity not infexibility.

I just want to respond to a couple of points (above). It seems to me your "suitable compromise" is to agree with you. And the "flexibility" you want is to bend to your way.

I find it hard to see the point of your arguement that Groundspeak/gc.com doesn't care and won't do anything to help. All they did was move the caring/helping off of caches (where it doesn't belong) and moved it to a notice/link on the main page. They have said this sport is not about raising money for worth casuses, you have a worth cause you are passionate about, the compromise is the mentioned link. Are you satisfied? No, you still want your way. Where is the flexibility you speak of? Is it only the other guy (from your point of view) that compromises/flexes? How about showing some yourself.

Jamie, it was'nt meant to come across as nationalist, however when someone from your end, closes about 8 threads on the UK board how else are we meant to view it.

People this end are going across to Geocachinguk and other caching sites in droves because of the way it has been handled.

An appology goes a long way, and it means a lot when someone realises that they have actually handled something wrongly.

Best wishes

Wadders

Wow! It's gone from 4 threads to 8 threads! When you say "people from your end" and people on this end" you are still making it nationalistic. The person the closed the FOUR threads is on the end of Groundspeak, the same end your 2 mods are supposed to be on. No this side or that side.

BTW, from what I can see, all 4 threads (as well as a handful locked by "your side") were just bashing people and rehashing a topic that had already gone to hell and been locked here, as well as a half dozen other places. Most of the people posting in those 4 threads did so with full knowledge of the previous locked posts, and that the situation had already been addressed by Groundspeak.

As a matter of fact the 2 mods "on your side" made many pleas and explainations themselves, that were all ignored.

After much discussion with the owners of the website and other reviewers this cache has now been archived by Groundspeak. The archive log gives details.

Please note that no exceptions for any charity appeal in the future are likely to be made.

I think the powers that be have stated there point of view very clearly on the archived cache page here.

In our intepretation of the guidelines we thought we were within them, but obviously were not.

to try to ensure that OUR forum returns to its former relatively peaceful status can we try to avoid, for the time being at least, subjects that may upset TPTB, and try not to deliberatly irritate.

Thanyou for your co-operation.

The last few days have been difficult and unpleasant for the UK and wider Geocaching communities. Things have been said the shouldn't have and things have been done that maybe in quieter moments might not have been, I don't know.

However can we make today the first day of our collective Geocaching lives? Can we all please remember why we are here - "hunting lunchboxes" 

Can we please end the nationalistic stereotyping, name calling and other accusations that have been flying around lately? Can we return both to the serious and light hearted "discussions" that have characterised this forum over the past couple of years?

Eckington and I remain here to serve UK (and Irish  ) geocachers by reviewing your cache submissions, moderating this forum and generally helping where we can.

Where possible we will leave existing threads open but I would urge you not to continue any unhelpful arguments.

Many thanks.

Apparently people don't listen to the mods from "your side" and better then they listen to the ones on "our side", huh?

Threads like this one appear to have been posted purely to see if they could get locked.

If you're gonna keep dragging on and on about this, at least keep to the facts.

You dont have to agree with me.

Infact I wouldnt expect you to.

But the lack of respect shown to others point of view is the heart of the matter.

I dont denigrate your right to free speech, nor have I attacked people personally.

Yet some members of this site seem to think that its ok to attack me.

I respect opposing points of view, I understand why people are upset that someone changed the staus quo.

But it still stands thus.

My opinion is that they should stand as is and not be archived.

The backlash originates from selfish people who are more worried about thier own agendas.

This is a one off event, Tsunamis dont occur (in such a destructive manner) everyday.

Most charities are an ongoing effort and require a long term comitment.

This cache only had to be active for a month at max ( to achive its maximum effect).

That is why I think this cache should have been let stand.

Its easier to oppose something sometimes, than to find a way to make it work.

Damian

Once again I find myself drawn to comment.........

The original site contravened the guidelines, and so was archived.

In it's place was a home-page link to charities collecting for victims of the Tsunami.

What's the difference?

Oh ........ I know ........ one gets a smiley and the other doesn't!!!!

Here ....... have a smiley ...... :laughing:

Happy?

Now get outside, GPSr in hand and GO PLAY THE GAME!!!!!

See here for how much this has disruppted the GC community:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=88308

Read the thread and see if you still think that those in the GC homeland are correct.

From what I've read things may get even worse in Aus.

Goodbye GC.COM for the time being I'm off to GCUK for the foreseeable future, along with a sizeable chunk cachers it seems

Edited by ashoofak
See here for how much this has disruppted the GC community:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=88308

Read the thread and see if you still think that those in the GC homeland are correct.

From what I've read things may get even worse in Aus.

Interestingly, those who have departed have not slammed Groundspeak, and are not interested in persuing an 'us vs. them' approach...

Of course I do. I don't decide what's right or wrong based on whether someone gets upset with my decision. Do you?

Or, to put it another way, does the fact that many in this thread are getting crabby and sick to death of your whinging make you wonder if we're right and you're wrong? If not, why did you think suasion would work the other way?

In it's place was a home-page link to charities collecting for victims of the Tsunami.

Which will be seen by far more people than a local cache page or two. A cache page will be seen by what, a few hundred people, while thousands see the home page every day.

If the real point of this was to help tsunami victims, the present solution is far better than a cache page promoting donations.

This obviously isn't about helping people, its about a silly little smiley face in their profile and an extra number next to their name. I've rarely seen a bigger load of sanctimony than has been coming from this bunch lately.

If you dont like Groundspeak policies, go register www.tsunamireliefcaching.com and you can list all the charity caches that your heart desires.

:::::::::Walks away shaking his head:::::::::::::

Which will be seen by far more people than a local cache page or two. A cache page will be seen by what, a few hundred people, while thousands see the home page every day. 

If the real point of this was to help tsunami victims, the present solution is far better than a cache page promoting donations.

This obviously isn't about helping people, its about a silly little smiley face in their profile and an extra number next to their name. I've rarely seen a bigger load of sanctimony than has been coming from this bunch lately.

:::::::::Walks back in::::::::::::

Dont ever check for new caches?

I know I do

and guess what I see.

But I dont check the front page very often, I'd guess that a lot of others dont either.

So Thousands of people would see it where as only hundreds would see it on the front page.

Other side of the coin you see.

Why do people always assume the worst of others (but never of themselves)?

Its not about smileys , and those who claim that all its about are santimonious fools

Why would you pay money (in some cases hundreds of dollars) for a find?

You are kidding right

I am certain there easier ways the get a find.........

::::::::::::::Walks away laughing at the stupidity of people:::::::::::::::::

Edited by Effrem
Why do people always assume the worst of others (but never of themselves)?

Its not about smileys , and those who claim that all its about are santimonious fools

Why would you pay money (in some cases hundreds of dollars) for a find?

You are kidding right

I am certain there easier ways the get a find.........

You are now stepping close to a line that will result, I'm sure in closure.

But before that happens .......

If the issue is NOT the smiley, then I fail to see your reasoning.

When accessing the GC site, the home page is the first page to be presented.

The appeal link has been generously placed about as high as it possibly could be.

VERY VISIBLE to EVERYONE who enters the site.

Living in South Africa, I would not be informed of new caches outside my country. Therefore, if it wasn't for this insidious flame war, the cache in question would, in all probablility, never have been seen by me, or many others.

Your reasoning is flawed, and, imho, your attitude requires a good deal of adjustment.

Edited by Azaruk

:::::::::Walks back in::::::::::::

I know I do

and guess what I see.

But I dont check the front page very often, I'd guess that a lot of others dont either.

So Thousands of people would see it where as only hundreds would see it on the front page.

When I check for new caches, I do it from my home coordinates. The search only goes out to 100 miles. I wouldn't see a new cache in California, let alone Indonesia, India, or any other country affected by the tsunamis

I came late to this party late so I had to go through and read the whole topic (whew!!). I noticed that Effrem lists a personal web site so I went to see how much space he gave to the relief effort on his own site. Welllllll whadya know --- ZIP - NADA - ZILCH - as in NOTHING.... He only feels strongly about the subject here. So it seems to me ( I could be wrong, I've been wronger before about much more important things) that our dear brother Effrem cares about GC guidlines interpretations much more than he actually cares about the relief effort.

Did I read that right or did I miss something???

KyHilltopper

Clint

I know I do and guess what I see.

No offense man - but your logic is... well wrong.

The main GC.com page: www.geocaching.com : is THE most viewed page on this website. I'd wager that it's the most viewed by FAR.

I actually am sitting here doing the same thing. :laughing:

sd

I know I do and guess what I see.]

Yep and I only look at the first few pages. If its more than 20 miles or so from my house I probably won't see it. If its more than 100 miles then it won't even show up on my search.

I noticed that Effrem lists a personal web site so I went to see how much space he gave to the relief effort on his own site. Welllllll whadya know --- ZIP - NADA - ZILCH - as in NOTHING.... He only feels strongly about the subject here

Well isn't that so! How telling!

Edited by briansnat
The main GC.com page: www.geocaching.com : is THE most viewed page on this website.

That is probably true and can be proven with the server logs. However, I practically never look at the main page. I always start at www.geocaching.com/my

Edited by as77
The main GC.com page: www.geocaching.com : is THE most viewed page on this website.

That is probably true and can be proven with the server logs. However, I practically never look at the main page. I always start at www.geocaching.com/my

So you never would have heard about the tsunami then?

So you never would have heard about the tsunami then?

Come on...

I'm at a catch 22. I don't want to lock the thread but I don't think its right that you would call people stupid and not allow people to respond. My only personal response is that you're lack of empathy amuses me. if you wish to take the higher ground I suggest you act with a certain respect of other people's opinions.

A cache listing for tsunami relief is forcing a round peg in a square hole, isn't very effective due to its lack of availability to a wide audience, and there already is a rather large link on the front page which I guarantee dwarfs any individual cache listing on the site.

I won't try to convince you anything because you first must keep an open mind before trying to see the other side. I do see your side and have already marked you as idealistic with blinders on about this issue. It seems pointless to continue this debate since you prefer to stoop to childish actions like calling people stoopid.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."

I prefer this one:

How wondrous familiar is a fool!