Appropriate Language For Forums

WxGuesser

Yea, if we can't have a banned topics topic, can we at least have a banned word list? :D:rolleyes:

But seriously, if you feel a word is too harsh, don't use it. The filter will repunctuate the really bad stuff anyway so no one can tell what it really means.

If you do want to test it, just post a reply to any thread listing the words in question, check out how many ****'s have been inserted, and then edit/delete what you typed so no one calls you a potty mouth.

Hmm, should the 'testing' htread pinned at the top of getting started be used for this? :ph34r:

edited for spelling, not profanity. Really. :D:)

Edited by wimseyguy

Most people try to use non offensive words in the forums, and I don't find the words "Kick a**" to be offensive usually. But keep in mind it will be censored. Also keep in mind that kids sometimes read the forums and will see that you wrote the words "Kick a**". But that is some mild language when you look at what goes on at the back of the bus.

Type how you speak. It is the only way to have your personality show.

Joe Smith, a kick a** geocacher

(link removed)

Don't read it if you are easily offended.

(I may not be moderating regarding the tsunami, but I will remove links to profanity. This is a family friendly forum. mtn-man (your friendly whipping boy))

Edited by mtn-man

I have a border collie. She is a bitch. That's an ok usage of that word. And it's ok to bitch about what words you can't say. However I've been modded for using the male and female counterparts to the word, and I've been moded for answering the question before straight forward and honestly about those two words not being acceptable. Strangly enough they do slip through the **** generating forum censor bot.

Please remember this is a family friendly forum. One thing we don't want is for the forums to be banned by family internet providers such as AOL, etc.

Express your opinion, but do it as if you are talking to your grandparents, great grandparents or, as joefrog says, like you would talk to yours or someone else's 5 year old child.

If you can't say it in front of a 5 year old, try not to say it here, since some forum posters seem to share that maturity level!

which five year old would that be?

would that be the five-year old who beat on the teacher with both fists while shouting repeatedly "i'm gonna f*&*%in' blow your f%&*&$in' g*&% D$% head right off, you f*$%*#$& son-of-a-b&**#" and then broke my nose?

'cause i think he may have heard the language somewhere before.

Why would anybody need to use profanity to express themselves in the first place.  Profanity adds nothing to the meaning of a sentence except crudeness.

I think you answered your own questions. Sometimes when one is expressing themselves, they want to come across as crude or crass or rude or hip or offensive or whatnot. Profanity is a part of our language, and all other languages I am aware of, quite precicely because it does allow an shade of expression that is not otherwise available if one uses socially acceptable terms.

One could argue that if foul language were accceptable everywhere, it would loose its impact and thus its value. Thus to maintain the integrity of our profanity, we should fully support its sensorship wherever possible. :rolleyes:

I find a**, f**k, s**t, a**hole, etc. to be just as offensive as the words without asterixes. We all know what those words are. Anybody with a third grade reading level knows what those words are. If you're going to go through the trouble of censoring letters, you might as well take the extra two seconds to find a way of saying it without cursing.

Eg.

"This guy who logged my cache was an a**hole"

turns in to

"This guy who logged my cache was a creep"

Not all that difficult. :huh:

turns in to

Not all that difficult.

And frankly, the second version makes the guy who logged the cache sound bad, instead of like the first version, where the guy posting the critisism sounds just as bad as the logger.

This all brings back memories of riding with my mother, a very sweet, gentle, and genteel woman when I was young. But sometimes the actions of another driver would cause one of the milder curse words to slip out of her mouth. :huh:

She would then take one or even both hands off the wheel for a moment and cover my ears, as if the words were still floating towards my then innocent ears but could be blocked. :lol::lol:

Let's face it-it ain't Ozzie and Harriet world out there any more.

Being a wiseguy and a wisea** are not the same thing. :lol:

Oh and it's nice to see Mr. Snazz back in the forums again! Where ya been dude?

Please remember this is a family friendly forum. One thing we don't want is for the forums to be banned by family internet providers such as AOL, etc.

Express your opinion, but do it as if you are talking to your grandparents, great grandparents or, as joefrog says, like you would talk to yours or someone else's 5 year old child.

People still use AOL?? :huh:

Why would anybody need to use profanity to express themselves in the first place. Profanity adds nothing to the meaning of a sentence except crudeness.

While not appropriate in these forums, a **** or **** OR ************ can get your point across with certain ******* people.

SELF CENSORED! :huh:

Just kidding geezer. I agree with what you said though I don't always follow the sentiment.

X

I felt kind of bad for some reason when i used the phrase "kick a**"  is that too harsh language for this place?

Well, I'm offended. Why not use the more family friendly "pat a**" or "scratch a**"?

Auntie: You are a trip!!!

I wasn't aware that there was a filter on this thing. I thought you all were typing those asterisks yourselves!! (that's a hard word to type: asterisks - is it even spelled right?)

My kids do read the forums occasionally over my shoulder but I have never had to censor anything from their sight.

Well, except for Stunod's last post to me in off-topic, but that's another story....

(Edited for spelling not involving asterisks or other forms of punctuation.)

Edited by Morgan's Marauders
I wasn't aware that there was a filter on this thing.  I thought you all were typing those asterisks yourselves!!  (that's a hard word to type:  asterisks - is it even spelled write?)

Filter? Oh, man...there's a filter? I was typing in the asterisks myself. And, yes, you spelled it just right -- but try saying it five times fast.

Hang on. Poopies. Doody-face. Shazbot. No, my filter doesn't seem to be working.

And, yes, you spelled it just right -- but try saying it five times fast.

Hang on. Poopies. Doody-face. Shazbot. No, my filter doesn't seem to be working.

Ha!! That's funny - you caught my post before I edited the spelling of "right." I used the wrong "write" instead of the right "right."

And I love Mork and Mindy.

Oops... we're not in off-topic! Um...

sorry!

turns in to

Not all that difficult.  :huh:

This guy who logged my cache was the kind who gives women the heebie jeebies when he thinks about them in an idle moment.

That's not it.

The guy who logged my cache is the kind who would feed antifreeze to kittens and think he was doing the world a favor.

The guy who logged my cache was the kind who would grind out his cigarette in the palm of Michelangelo's David. I'd like to grind out the smug look on his face the same way. He was that kind of cacher.

That works.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Oh if only profanity was as simple as getting a bot to blindly remove all the nasty words...

But life isn;t that simple. For a word to be a profanity it needs to be said in the right context, in the right place.

A word in one place might be deeply offensive to the locals, whereas in another place it may mean something quite different and not rude at all. To give one favourite example of mine, take the three letter word which begins with F, ends with G and has an A in the middle. (I spell it here so you can see what it is in case it actually is on the filter list!)

Now I understand this word in the US (at least in some parts if not all) to be quite an offensive term for a gay male prostitute, and going up to someone in a street in San Francisco and asking a guy if he wants a f*g is likely to get you beaten up in a dark alley or something.

Ask the same question in a British pub, and everyone will know you are simply offering the stranger a cigarette, as a polite gesture of friendship. In the UK the word f*g is totally harmless, and *never* a profanity. To bleep it out without regard to context would be crass and smacks of cultural imperialism. I can think of at least one example which is the other way round; ie a word which we find offensive in the UK which in the US is quite readily used and harmless.

All across the world different cultures have different words for swearing with. Please don't be naive enough to come on a global forum such as this one and start lecturing people with suggestions like "if you wouldn't say it to a 5 year old, then don't say it here", or "there is never any reason to use profanity on here". Who the hell are you to judge for everyone else in the world cultures just what is profanity and what is not? I'm sure each of us has a list of words which they regard as beyond the pail but frankly, why is your list right and someone elses wrong?

I detest the use of robotic filters. We have moderators that are human, and they should be aware of cultural differences and be able to gently point out when one culture may be accidentally treading on another one's toes in verbal terms, and try and make plain what the word is meant to mean in that particular context.

OTOH, I'm not a supporter of online swearing, and operate the rule that if the word was meant by the author to be swearing, then it really should not have been used.

I can think of at least one example which is the other way round; ie a word which we find offensive in the UK which in the US is quite readily used and harmless.

:):laughing:

I have a REAL GOOD example of that one!

I have a friend that lives in Mississppi.

He married a girl he met in college that was from the UK.

All of her family came to the states for the wedding.

On the night of the rehersal her mom, 2 aunts, and 2 sisters were sitting on one of the pews of the church together.

His dad wanted to talk to her mom but there wasn't room on the end of the pew because they were all bunched to one side.

Not knowing any difference, he shouts out "OK all you purty ladies. Slide those cute fannies over so I can talk to mom here!"

:wub:

I'd love to seen the looks on their faces!! :)

My friend said his dad couldn't quit apologizing when they told him why they had got offended. :D:D

It's so funny(not Ha Ha) the difference in our English and the Queens English.

When we talk globally, we can offend people and not even realize it.

D-man :)

Edited by gridlox