Breeder Caches

Yerocrg

I have noticed that everyone talks about breeder caches like there are several hundred or even several thousand, but when I ran a keyword search and forum search, there seemed to be no more than ten (edit: 24) globally. :rolleyes: So how many breeder caches are there? (They are also known as seed caches, nursery caches, or momma caches)

Known breeder caches:

Attack of the Clones

The Centauri series

Drip Drop

Nobscot Breeder Cache

Oh No! Not another Seed Cache!

The Geo-Family Tree

Viridian Queen

Third Time's a Charm BREEDER II

One Degree of Separation

South Side Seed Cache

Oh No! Not another seed cache!

Poor Mother Goose

Central Ark. Geo. depot supply cache

Welcome to the Machine

Goosey Cinnamon - New Mom

Spawner

Purdue Parasite

BREEDER (archived)

An Eye For An Eye

Twisted

Geocaching Starter Kit

The Mothership

DLD Cache

The Amazing Stupid Rules Cache!

Yerocrg

Edited by Yerocrg

I think this concept is a very interesting one and a good idea for the sport. A local cacher has started what i guess you could call a breeder cache here in AR. The goal is to keep stuff stocked in the cache so others can come and take some of the swag for use in their own caches. The available swag is free and there is no need to trade for it, but it can only be take to use for stock in new caches. There is also an occasional mini-cache, a ready made cache so you can take it and go.

Central Ark. Geo. depot supply cache

I think this concept is a very interesting one and a good idea for the sport.

There are good sides as well as bad sides in that concept. Without concentrating to other bad ones, IMO the hiding a new cache should never be a condition to log a find to a breeder cache. If I find the cache, and sign the log, that should entitle me to log the find. Note: I'm glad to hide new caches if I'm motivated and know good spots, but making finders jump through hoops after finding & signing is not how I see this hobby.

IMO the hiding a new cache should never be a condition to log a find to a breeder cache.

Agreed. I don't think an approver will allow that anymore. That's why I like to call them seed caches. Some take root and some just blow away..... I expect about 50% of the pods and micros at my event to just go AWOL.

If I find the cache, and sign the log, that should entitle me to log the find. Note: I'm glad to hide new caches if I'm motivated and know good spots, but making finders jump through hoops after finding & signing is not how I see this hobby.

Also agreed. It can be as hoopy as you want (or people will put up with) BEFORE the find, but a hider has issues if they insist on some control AFTER the find.

I'm glad to see the term 'seed/mother' caches being used. In some alternative lifestyle groups the term 'breeder' has negative connotations. We must strive to keep geocaching as PC squeaky clean as possible.

Please refrain from using the term "breeder" caches from now on.

I hope your joking.

If not then maybe you can start by changing the title of your profile picture and avatar. Some of the geocachers up here in the PA mountains may become offended.

Myself, being a fisheries biologist, use the term "breeder" all the time and it has a legitimate professional meaning. Since "PC" means nothing to me, I will continue to use the term where appropriate.

On topic:

There are a few of these types of caches in Central PA:

Spawner

Purdue Parasite

Drip Drop

I liked how my "Spawner" cache was set up. I did it to get the new local cachers involved in finding cool cache locations without having the responsibility of having to take care of the cache. That was left to me. It seemed to work well until the late summer hurricanes wiped it out. The other two had a limited number of caches they produced...so the area was not flooded with new caches placed willy nilly.

Salvelinus

So how many breeder caches are there?

In some places, too many. They can jumpstart geocaching in some areas where there are few caches, but if the "spawn" is little more than film canisters with a slip of paper inside, pretty soon that's all an area is going to have.

They can also force, or encourage a person to hide a cache who really shouldn't be doing so.

:rolleyes:

Not always true, Briansnat.

My cache from the 'breeder' that I snagged near my house (first in the list below) was put on Nashville's top cache list. It's a full sized container (9"x4") out in the woods somewhere.

An Eye For An Eye

Twisted - read the page on this one.. If you have more than 1000 finds, it requires 3 caches with 2.5 difficulty to be placed to log it. If you have less than 1000 you can just log it.

Geocaching Starter Kit

Those three are the only ones I've found. I have about 230 cache finds in Nashville.

I recently placed one of these types of caches called DLD Cache in my area. My thinking at the time was to help get a few caches in the area. It has worked out pretty well and some of them are not close so it can be used as an excuse to go somewhere new. My kids usually don’t care for micro caches but they do enjoy finding one that they helped put together a few months ago.

Edited by still searching
I'm glad to see the term 'seed/mother' caches being used. In some alternative lifestyle groups the term 'breeder' has negative connotations. We must strive to keep geocaching as PC squeaky clean as possible.

I hope your joking.

If not then maybe you can start by changing the title of your profile picture and avatar. Some of the geocachers up here in the PA mountains may become offended.

Salvelinus

flask, may I borrow you irony meter please? See what happens to me without the smileys? :ph34r:

Um yes it was a joke. I have no plans to change either. Busch is my family name. I like cats, I like them a lot. I like beer too ( but better stuff than my namesake).

My cats get into every box I open in the house. And after your bred fish, go to market I cook 'em up for my customers. So, no changes for you! :)

Back OT-Twisted-as listed by fly, is an excellent example of a seed cache. :rolleyes: It is actually the anti-Cache of the Titans.

We do not have any of these around here, but it might be an interesting concept to try.

Breeder, breeder, breeder. So there! :huh:

I have one called the The Incubator The only people who hatch out caches from this one are those who choose to. The rest just sign the log/trade items just like any other cache. If they choose to hatch out a new cache it has to be large enough to hold the egg they took to start their cache with so the hatching can continue. ~ Tudles

Edit: Oooops I said breed :o

Edited by Patudles
One Idea I had was one called Breeder Reactor, but...there are not enough film canisters in the world to cover more than a few iterations of the cache, so I will spare everyone.

Please explain <_<:huh::huh:;):P:huh::huh:;):P

Well....

When I was a kid they were trying to explan a nuclear reaction to us 4th graders. So they had a room full of mouse traps. Each one had two ping pong balls on it. Then they tossed in one ping pong ball and it set off a trap. That send two more balls flying along with the original, which in turn sent 6 more balls flying and in no time at all the room was white with ping pong balls. That's how they simulated 'the bomb' for us.

The cache would be the same the first cacher gets to place one cache, the second well they have to do two... I figured I'd have to stop at about 4, and start over to be humane. I was also going to have pre-set coordinates for each cache so you didn't have to think, and 'saturate' an area with maximum cache density.

It had more to do with having fun with a local thief than anything else. He could spend as much time as he liked stealing caches like a ping pong ball as they were set more or less at randome in an area.

Instead of requiring a placement of a cache, can you require an alternate logging requirement of posting a GC code that has been placed after the breeder cache? It would not REQUIRE the finder to make their own just learn how to find new caches. What do you guys think?

Instead of requiring a placement of a cache, can you require an alternate logging requirement of posting a GC code that has been placed after the breeder cache? It would not REQUIRE the finder to make their own just learn how to find new caches. What do you guys think?

What's the point? They've already demonstrated that they could find your cache. If they want to find more caches, they will. Why do you want to make them do something?

What's the point? They've already demonstrated that they could find your cache. If they want to find more caches, they will. Why do you want to make them do something?

This thread was posted back in 2005. Breeder/Seed/Pay it forward caches haven't been approved for quite some time now.

Perhaps a reviewer can enlighten us when the un-official change occurred.

I would not ask anyone to find another cache to log mine. Just post the GC code of one placed with in a certain area AFTER mine was placed. It would be to promote cache placement in my area and may educate some on how to use the pocket query tools on the website. Example- If some one wanted to find mine they could go right to it find it sign the log and wait until a new cache pops up and then they may log it using that new caches GC code. If no new caches are created for a long time they may place their own cache and use that GC code.

I have read all about breeder caches causing a lot of crappy micros and film canisters under lamp post skirts. But isn't there hundreds of people placing crappy caches anyway? It doesn't matter; some people are bad at hiding. So I am not asking for that.

When working on a puzzle cache (such as the one I am thinking about placing) one could spend hours over solving a complex code or adjusting the levels of a photo in Photoshop to find coordinates. My puzzle cache could redirect that time and energy toward placing a quality cache. If its too hard for some they have the option of waiting for some one else to make a cache and use that GC code, or not logging it at all.

Edited by JohnE5