Alberta Night Caches

nickelcachers

I am in the process of setting one up right now (in Edmonton). I just had the idea a couple of days ago and am still working out the details, such that you will be able to solve and find the cache only at night.

I too am working on a night cache in the Cold Lake area. I'm going to use Firetacks so cachers have to find their way to a cache with the coordinates in the dark using the reflectors. They then have to traverse in the dark to the actual cache, OR they can come back during the day. Perhaps I could add a stipulation that that cache by evidenced by a photo of the cache taken at night too!

There's a cache I came across in New Zealand that CAN only be done at night - I can't find the link right now but will post it if I come across it. As I recall it requires you to line up two lights that are obviously only on at night in order to find the cache itself. I think one of the lights was some considerable distance away from the other, possibly across water, and hence the object on which the light was located was not visible/identifiable during daylight hours.

Edited by Geofellas

We have a good night time only cache in Winnipeg. It is the BLACKOUT CACHE: GCMOKX The reflectors are an off white and are fastened to Poplar trees which are also kind of white so they can’t be seen during the day. It’s very effective. Once you find the first one you shine your flashlight around until you spot the next one, and so on, and so on, until you make it to the last one.

The reflectors are an off white and are fastened to Poplar trees which are also kind of white so they can’t be seen during the day.  It’s very effective.  Once you find the first one you shine your flashlight around until you spot the next one, and so on, and so on, until you make it to the last one.

That's a smart idea. <_< I would be worried that red reflectors would attract the attention of muggles.