Do micros need logbooks?

ChiefPig

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

There was a time when a 34mm or smaller didn't need a log. That time came and went. Now you need a log book in all caches unless it's physically to small to write on the paper. I'm not even sure about that right now.

Most people cut paper strips and staple them together. It's a kludge but it works.

I thought that a log book was not required in micros. When did this change? Or did it? Someone who knows for sure let me know cause I'm thinking of putting a micro out soon.

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

...I thought that a log book was not required in micros. When did this change? Or did it? Someone who knows for sure let me know cause I'm thinking of putting a micro out soon....

Caches always needed log books. However in the 'days of old' micros were considered too small. Then pioneering people proved you could make one simply enough and normal micro containers like altoids tins and film canisters started to have the log book rule enforced.

Containers smaller than that may still be exempted due to limitations of the ability to write on the paper that will fit...

This cache has a log (not pictured; I should go take some pictures of it in place.) It's just a strip of paper rolled tightly around a toothpick (for support, and to make it easier to extract the log from the container.)

By way of explanation: The nut on the left is sealed at the bottom with a magnet embedded in epoxy. The part on the top screws into the nut and sticks on a convenient metal item. The "nut" on the right is actually the head of the bolt, drilled out and with a magnet inserted. That part goes on the opposite side of the convenient metal object, so as not to arouse suspicion. When it's all assembled, it just looks like any other bolt holding something together. The yellow dot is wood glue filling the hole I'd need to remove the magnet if this hadn't worked. In the wild, the bolt has been painted so the glue isn't obvious.

scale.jpg

open.jpg

pirate.cgi.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on September 10, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]