Night Caches

ccm352

Quite frankly, I don't think there's much of a "market" per se. I mean, there's probably no more than 100-300 true night caches in the world. And I don't really see it being very economical to create a whole new cache type for something there's so few of.

I have to say that they ARE really fun though...

Instead of knocking this geocacher's enthusiasm and ideas, I don't see why no one has pointed to the cache attributes discussion which has been ongoing for quite some time. It would seem to me that the "Recommended at Night" attribute and the "Available 24/7" attribute would be just what this night cacher is looking for.

Sheesh.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Instead of knocking this geocacher's enthusiasm and ideas, I don't see why no one has pointed to the cache attributes discussion which has been ongoing for quite some time. It would seem to me that the "Recommended at Night" attribute and the "Available 24/7" attribute would be just what this night cacher is looking for.

Sheesh.

Well I did point him to the right forum...I thought.

El Diablo

Im talking about finding caches using like fire tacks or bright eyes and make them only findable by using a flashlight. I think it would be a fun twist on the game.  We have a few out here in southeast PA.

I have one night cache using Trail Tacks. My next venture is UV light and invisible paint. You'll need a UV light to illuminate the coords, and the trail.

Numerous links to night cache threads.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...374&hl=uv+light

Edited by Kit Fox

"Recommended at night" is not the same as "Can only be found at night", which real night caches are.

I mean, there's probably no more than 100-300 true night caches in the world.

There are at least 100 in Germany:

http://nightcaching.org/v_cachelist.htm

"Recommended at night" is not the same as "Can only be found at night", which real night caches are.
That's a good point but I don't think it's real problem. If you try to find a cache "Recommended at night" and you DNF it you shouldn't wonder about it.
I'd love to learn how to make night geocaches, since im positive there aren't any within 40 mile radius of my house. If anyone has any info on the materials, or where and how to  hide such caches, send me a quick note in the pms or i can be found on AIM under Voncachstein

thanks  -Baron Voncachstein

The most popular method is to use small reflective tacks that are nearly invisible during the day and create a trail to follow using the tacks. The coordinates bring you to one end of the trail and you have to use a flashlight to find the beginning of the tack trail which leads to the cache.

Now the where is an issue in some areas. I've been trying to find a place for one for a year. In some areas its difficult to find a place that is both open at night and far enough from homes that people wandering around with flashlights at 2 in the morning won't prompt a call to the police.

In my area at least, most prime caching land (state parks and wildlife areas and county parks) are closed at sunset.

Edited by briansnat

The trouble with most of the 'night caches' that I've done or seen listed is that they're really just "follow the light" exercises. You need a GPS to find the first one, then to find your way back to your car, but that's all.

There are several other ideas for _real_ night caches, and they've been covered in older threads.

There are several other ideas for _real_ night caches, and they've been covered in older threads.

I'd even go so far and don't call the "follow the light exercise" a geocache. I think "GPS Stash hunt" should have something to do with a GPSr.

Anyway: The basic idea of a _real_ nightcache is that you have to go to certain coords and from there you have to search for a reflector. At the reflector you'll get some new coords and so on.

btw. until now the largest distance between the coords and the belonging reflector I know is 800 m (~ 0.5 miles).

I'd even go so far and don't call the "follow the light exercise" a geocache. I think "GPS Stash hunt" should have something to do with a GPSr.

Here's an offset two-stage multi-cache we put out a few weeks ago as a night cache. A bearing and distance to the second cache are provided at the first cache where the last reflectors are located. Operation Arctic Knights

We have a leg of a multi in the works that will have to be done "only after dark".

Due to where the find is going to be for that particular leg.

In other words, it will "only be visible after dark".

If you go during daylight hours it will be right there in your face, but it will not be able to be seen.

Plus, also for the find on this leg you will not even have to get out of your vehicle if you don't want to!!

<_<:P:huh:

An ALL NIGHTER sounds really cool!!

:huh::huh:

D-man ;)

Edited by gridlox