New To Caching Need Help In Picking A Gps

Hello guys I can't wait tell spring is here so I can get the horse out and do some of the caches around here that are on horse trails. My problim is i need help in deciding wich gps i need. iam a new to using a gps and i do know that i dont want a whole bunch of features ill never use so here is the two iam tryin to decid on.

Magellan eXplorist Series GPS Units and Accessories

When you first see the new Explorist series, you'll probably wonder how Magellan could get that many features and that much high-end technology into a unit so small. Weighing only 4 oz., these rugged, waterproof units are some of the smallest on the market at 4.6" x 2.1" x 1.3" and are priced for even the most budget-minded outdoor enthusiast.

With the eXplorist 100 you can navigate through three information screens with the use of miniature joystick and keyboard screen display. 14 parallel channels acquire satellite signals with maximum efficiency, while the WAAS-enabled receiver delivers accuracy to 3 meters. Saves up to 500 waypoints and 20 routes with 2,000 log points. 2.3" LCD screen.

Or the Explorist 200With the same powerful 14-parallel-channel, WAAS-enabled receiver as the eXplorist 100, the eXplorist 200 has an 8MB built-in basemap for even easier navigation. Map includes major roads, parks, waterways and airports.

Any help would be much obliged. Thanks and have a good day

G'day

First up I recommend reading the advice pages at http://gpsinformation.net/ which provides some good advice on GPSr features for first-time users.

Second with the eXplorist 100 as I understand it there is no data input/output, i.e., can't connect to your computer. So unless you plan on manually entering all those geocache coordinates, it is pretty dadgum useless for geocaching. This may also apply to the eXplorist 200 as the specs suggest no data input/output.

Regards

Andrew

I agree that data in/out is a very important feature! Not only does it make things easier as far as getting waypoints into the GPSr, it's also part of the fun to download your tracks and see where you've been (and when you were there). I have tracks saved on my computer from all of my major trips - Ecuador, Las Vegas, New York (found my GPSr was pretty much useless in Manhattan with all of the tall buildings blocking the view of the sky). I save ALL of my tracks to the computer - just for the heck of it.

There are free programs like USAPhotoMaps which allow you to view your tracks on aerial photos and topographic maps.

But if you can't connect a computer cable to your GPSr, you're gonna miss out on the whole realm of transfering data! Having checked their Web site, apparently the Explorist 100, 200 and 300 models DO NOT HAVE data in/out! It looks like the 400 and above will.

Edited by Neo_Geo

yes but in retrospec like i was saying i dont really need all that stuff i just want to input them my self. i was wanting somthing simple easy that i could enjoy and not somthing i cuss every time it says welcome LOL. Iam starting to lean towards the explorist 100 cause it has just the basics that i want wich is to input waypoints go to them mark were i shot a elk in the mountains back track to it and so forth. If any one has used them explorist 100 or the 200 or has any knowladge about them would be greatly apricated. Thanks to those who have responded.

Seriously the lack of a data cable is a deal killer. If you key in a coordiate wrong and start looking where there is no cache to find, you will learn the value of the cable. Also it's not if you will miskey, it's when.

I'd remove the entire explorist line from your consideration. While you are at it don't get a Gecko 101 either for the same reason.

If you are seriouse about no frills, go for an Etrex, a Gecko 201, or a Sport Track Map.

The eXplorist models will work fine. But so will a number of other units that do provide a computer interface such as the Magellan 315($80 eBay), 330($125 eBay), basic SporTrak($143 Focus Cam.), SporTrakMap ($168), Garmin eTrex ($90 assorted), eTrex Legend ($142 Etronics), and Lowrance iFinder ($121 Boatfix). All of these are in the same price range as the eXplorist 100 & 200, so why only look at the ones that lack a PC interface?

There was recently a survey conducted in this forum asking participants to judge various features and rate them as Must Have, Nice to Have, or Don't Care. Having a computer interface got the most Must Have votes of any of the 25 or so features. So even if you don't think you'll want it right now, it seems likely you'll miss it later as you use the GPS more and find additional applications.

yes that is possibly true but for my first gps i think i would rather just get to know how to use it and then later upgrade to the more expensive ones cause i dont have access to a computer all the time with internet so printing them and keeping them in my saddle bags would be fine. How hard is it to manually enter the lat and lon on the unit plus ill have them wrote down. But keep the sudjestions coming

Edited by MountainMan00

Both an eTrex and a Magellan 315 would be cheaper than any prices I've seen for the eXplorist 100. And the other models mentioned are also in the same ballpark. Having the interface doesn't make the unit any harder to operate or more complicated - afterall, you don't have to use that feature if you don't want to. But you'll probably find that downloading waypoints, routes, etc. is much easier and reliable than doing it by hand.

But if you really want an eXplorist 100 or 200 just wait a little while. I expect lots of them to appear on eBay as the initial buyers discover the limitations.

It depends how often you enter coordinates. If you get into geocaching heavy, you might enter 10, 20, or more a day. It gets tedious pretty quickly.

OTOH, you might be quite satisfied with an Explorist 100 or 200...I would agree with the comments above that for someone halfway serious about geocaching, the computer connection is must-have. But if you're pretty sure that's not something you care about for the immediate future, Magellan is marketing those 100 and 200 Explorists to you. I don't have one, but those on these forums who have them and haven't been frustrated by the lack of a direct computer hookup have been quite pleased with them.

I also think your basic strategy of starting simple (and cheap) and then upgrading to something more full-featured when you want the bells and whistles. Still, I would tend to favor Renegade Knight's advice to spend a comparable amount of money on units that you are less likely to outgrow in a short period of time. Even with something that has a lot of features beyond the basics in which you are interested in, it's pretty easy to ignore those options and just use the GPS in its essential functions and ignore the rest.

i am serious about this spot its my time i have to do it is limted. so if i sit here on a friday night before work on saturday and enter four or five places to take the horse and try to find iam happy as a lark. thanks for all the support i have gotten in such short notice iam very happy with the community so far :huh: but ya i can see the benifets of have in the computer to link to is a plus but for now just being able to find a few cachs over the weekend is great and being able to find my way back to camp at night. but what ever unit i chose i chose it with full knowlage of the pros and cons of each unit. the one nice thing i have seen with the explorist is that the 14 parrell channels vs 12 and the size of the screen the controlls are niec with the etrex i dont really like the location of the controlls i am looking towards the etrex Venture

It appears that you have already limited you choice to two the Explorist 100 or the 200, if those are the only ones you are interested in, get the 100, When you realize how easy it is to make a mistake when entering a waypoint, you might not be as disapointed. As others have said, being able to load a waypoint from a web page is a big plus. Also, with the data port you have the option of upgrading the firmware, magellan and garmin have both offered firmware updates over the years as they have made changes.

I might be chiming in a bit late on this thread, but I thought I would add my two cents worth anyway, in case someone has similar questions in the future while searching through these threads.

I own the eXplorist 100. I've used it since last summer. Before that, I owned a yellow eTrex. I am very happy with the eXplorist 100. It is very user-friendly, accurate and holds a signal very well.

There are many who wouldn't consider buying any of the eXplorist units (the series 100-300) because of the lack of a computer interface, which is understandable. That being said, there are some who really don't require it. I've never had any use for a GPS with advanced mapping software, an altimeter or any number of other bells and whistles. I needed a GPSr strictly for geocaching and didn't have a lot of money to spend.

Now that I've had some experience with the eXplorist 100, here is an admittedly-subjective view of the type of person that I think might be quite happy with this unit:

- Has less than $100 to spend.

- Has no need for advanced mapping capabilities.

- Doesn't typically enter more than 5-10 waypoints at a time.

- Is an "occasional" geocacher; hasn't a lot of spare time to devote to the sport, cannot possibly hit 20-30 caches in a weekend, but can get out for a few hours here and there every other week or so (that's me).

- Wants a simple to use, intuitive and user-friendly interface.

- Wants an "extra" GPSr for the kids or for use as a spare.

- Wants a GPSr that you won't be too sad over if it gets lost, crushed or drowned.

Most of my geocaching buds have receivers like the Garmin 76 and 60CS units. These guys have more time to devote to geocaching than I do and often do two dozen or more caches in a single weekend. They require being able to download many waypoints at once. For me, an average month of caching sees me visiting maybe 5-6 caches every other weekend. I can always print out maps to the cache area from Mapquest. I just couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars more for a GPS that has a computer interface, when I don't have a need for it.

If you can be happy with fewer features yet still want an accurate GPSr for very little money, the eXplorist series is one to consider. YMMV.