Why The Geeky Lingo?

GixxerUT

I have to say that the term "muggles" has been in use as every day cacher vocab in my area pretty much since I started. Which was over a year ago.

I'm not sure why that has to be refered to as "geeky". True it was pretty much ripped off from Harry Potter, but calling Harry Potter geeky is very much going against the mainstream view at the moment.

You can use other terms if you want, though. No one is forcing you to use it.

So what other terms are you having a problem with?

Consider any other "sport", hobby, or lifestyle. You can probably come up with examples of unique terminology that is understood by those who enjoy that specific pastime.

Full court press, hail mary, ringers, 18 wheeler, crotch rocket, Hog, rice burner... need I go on ?

Why would Geocachers use a simplistic/childish term such as "Muggle" ? I think when you consider all the more advanced terminology that comes with it - Latitude, Longitude, confluence, signal dispersion, etc. - it kind of was natural to interject and adopt some less harsh jingo.

After all, this is for fun isn't it ?

I believe another thread on the subject of the use of the word "Muggle" stated that in the Potter books, a Muggle was someone unaware of the secret world hidden all around, the magic out of sight to their daily world. Kind of describes ( in a poetic way ) the relationship Geocaching holds. So, adopting the term Muggle makes sense, even if in a "geeky" way.

After all, how many people, even if they DO find out Geocaching, think its geeky anyway to spend hundreds of dollars to run around finding Tupperware instead of sitting in front of the TV, watching others earn several million for playing a game ?

I'll take the geeky terms, thanks.

Why don't internet forum people use everyday terms like "onlookers", as they would if they were talking in real life with real life everyday people?

Every human endeavor has its own jargon. But, honestly, how handy do you find the word "onlooker" talking in real life with real life everyday people? It seems a bit...stiff to me.

"Ho, Mabel! Let us cease our petting in this orange grove, for yonder is an onlooker!"

....ehhhhh, I dunno.

like "muggles"????

Why don't internet forum people use everyday terms like "onlookers", as they would if they were talking in real life with real life everyday people?

Or do Geocachers talk that way when they meet in real life too? :lol:

C'mon who are you really, flask's sock puppet? :lol::huh:

We also say 'angst' in here a lot; well at least carleenp does. :huh:

How often do you say that in everyday conversation?

my sockpuppets almost NEVER post in the forums.

one of mine posted just to make a post (it's not really a secret who it is...)

one of mine posted in order to ask a question anonymously. if I'D asked, it would have raised eyebrows, but under the sockpuppet it got answered and disappeared into oblivion.

if i wanted to comment on the stupiditiy of the term "muggle" i could have derailed any other thread, thankyouverymuch.

WHY the geeky lingo? WHY, you ask? helloooooo, have you looked in a mirror lately? have you ever been to a geocaching event?

thar's geeks in them thar hills, and they're all walking around with GPSrs on their little belt clips.

that explains the geekiness. now, if you'd like to discuss the other abonination and the addlepated sheeplings that use it, i'll give everyone else a moment to clear the room. i was just thinking this morning that i hadn't had a good "muggle" rant in a few days.

if you'll excuse me, it's almost monday and as a special birthday gift i have to go kick some puppies.

I would call Harry Potter a nerd.

geek ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gk)

n. Slang

A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.

A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

nerd also nurd ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nûrd)

n. Slang

A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

dork ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dôrk)

n. Slang.

A stupid, inept, or foolish person

It would seem that the difference between geek and nerd is appearance and clumsiness, and Harry Potter isn't really unattractive. I'm not sure about his clumsiness. He's probably more of a dork then a geek or nerd, although that description probably doesn't fit well either.

However, I always associated geekiness with computer knowledge, love of gadgets, and use of scientific terminology. Using the term muggle changes geocaching from being geeky to being dorky.

All groups of people have their own terms. It ties group members together, creating a common bond between them.

you mean like Trekkies and Lan Partygoers? :ph34r:

yup, there's definitely some psychology to belongingness and having identity within a defined group, and the lingo/jargon adds to the differentiation

btw; DORK also has another whale of a meaning :rolleyes:

I find the ripped off Harry Potter terminology strangely appropriate. Onlooker to me just doesn't convey the same significance. Muggle makes refference specifically to those who aren't part of the group participating in the activity. Can you think of a non-geeky synonym that will be as widely understood that conveys the same message in as compressed a format? I can't.

I'm not sure why that has to be refered to as "geeky". True it was pretty much ripped off from Harry Potter, but calling Harry Potter geeky is very much going against the mainstream view at the moment.

Just a note about the term "muggle", although people may have adopted term from the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowlings didn't create term. She had adopted it (like most of the other items her books) from other sources.

Synonym- bystander, viewer, member of the audience, observer, witness, watcher

In my line of work we have rubber-neckers, the uh-oh squad, the oh-no squad,scanner land

I'm no fan of Potter, but I do find if funny in regards to the unknowing

C'mon, like others said, it's fun. What's the big deal

:rolleyes:

Just a note about the term "muggle", although people may have adopted term from the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowlings didn't create term. She had adopted it (like most of the other items her books) from other sources.

You sure about that?

I remember reading somewhere that someone was sueing her for stealing the term from their book, but I don't think she conceeded that she had.

It always seemed like very natural terminology for me, an extention of being muddled up or something like that, hence it wouldn't surprise me if it was 'invented' multiple times.

I think that the whole muggle thing is a little weirdish too. like he said, i would say onlookers, or walkers, hunters, whatever they are. Geocaching can be more fun than just a hike. My group of cachers, Team BSWS (Break Stuff With Sticks) for example, is a bunch of teens and we like to make the hike more "fun" than a straight walk. Next time, try hitting people, trees, or ice with sticks. it adds at least a tiny bit of fun hearing your friends yell and run after you.

I believe another thread on the subject of the use of the word "Muggle" stated that in the Potter books, a Muggle was someone unaware of the secret world hidden all around, the magic out of sight to their daily world. Kind of describes ( in a poetic way ) the relationship Geocaching holds. So, adopting the term Muggle makes sense, even if in a "geeky" way.

You brought a tear to my eye! That's just beautiful!

I like the term muggle, I like Harry Potter, I am definitely a geek, and I don't care.

Didn't these guys see Revenge of the Nerds? The Nerds won! :laughing:

Edited by bradandangela.com
like "muggles"????

Or do Geocachers talk that way when they meet in real life too? :laughing:

I work for a medical school. When my wife and I are out and meet up with someone from the medical school, she refers to them as "Borg".

I think the "muggle" term is silly and juvenile and therefore don't use it. But its the same as calling other UNMC employees Borg. A way of communicating your thoughts in a narrowcasting mode while in a public place.

I refer to geocachers as cachers and non-geocachers as "other people" or "non-cachers".