Optimal Geocaching Container?

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

3. Non-toxic or biodegradable.

4. Large enough to handle several items the size of a disposable camera.

Heh. After looking at the list it seems a Nalgene bottle would do the trick, but they're pretty small.

As a "kit" I suppose a logbook and pen/pencil combo would be necessary too.

Any ideas? Pelican cases are pretty cool but are pricey. But that's what I'm going for.

Jeremy

Guest Robereno

Just what do you mean by ,?(in the spirit of the sport)? ? I think we need to discuss this!!!!

No, no, please. I?m just kidding. Really! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Actually, I am interested in this Pelican case thing. What is that? Are there any links to info on it. I?ve been using ammo boxes and have found them ideal for my purposes though, they are a bit heavy.

Guest Robereno

Just what do you mean by ,?(in the spirit of the sport)? ? I think we need to discuss this!!!!

No, no, please. I?m just kidding. Really! icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Actually, I am interested in this Pelican case thing. What is that? Are there any links to info on it. I?ve been using ammo boxes and have found them ideal for my purposes though, they are a bit heavy.

Guest brokenwing

Yea, I think pelican cases would be way too expensive, even before customization. Maybe there are similar cases that are cheaper?

brokenwing

Guest tnunnery

Some of the fun/mystery for me is to see what kind of interesting container the hider has used. I have seen plastic jars and bottles, ammo boxes (the perfect container IMHO - transparent schmansparent), boxes, tubes, tupperware and a large plastic bear. I'm just waiting for someone to cut a trap door in one of those pink yard flamingos. Hmmm...

It seems that a "generic" geocaching container would remove one of the creative elements from the hiding and the hunting perspective.

Guest Snowtrail

This is I think similar to the discussion on marking a cache box (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000595.html).

Buying in bulk is a nice idea, but would the shipping bump up the price so it wouldn't be worth getting? Is it possible for a particular area to order in bulk? For instance, could Charlotte and Atlanta order in bulk to warrant to discount? We are close enough and have cacher gatherings that we could distribute the boxes without the added cost of shipping.

I have enough of a problem coming up with things to prime the cache with. Decorating the box isn't on my list of enjoyable things to do.

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

... I'm just waiting for someone to cut a trap door in one of those pink yard flamingos. Hmmm...

I never thought of that, and I have one in my garage with a broken stake (long story about WHY I actually own a plastic pink flamingo- let's just say it went with the 'picture view of Walmart' icon_wink.gif

Now where oh where could I place it? ummmm... lol!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

... I'm just waiting for someone to cut a trap door in one of those pink yard flamingos. Hmmm...

I never thought of that, and I have one in my garage with a broken stake (long story about WHY I actually own a plastic pink flamingo- let's just say it went with the 'picture view of Walmart' icon_wink.gif

Now where oh where could I place it? ummmm... lol!

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

Guest navdog

Jeremy,

I might suggest contacting a manufacturer or wholesale distributor of plastic containers. I would think that they would have many different options of sizes and shapes to choose from. Hopefully they would sell in smaller bulk quantities.

Also, what about those heavy duty clear plastic waterproof pouches that are used for rafting and other water sports?

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

I have a Pelican case for my digital camera. It has the little foam blocks that can be removed to give a custom fit for what ever equipment you want to house. It's water tight (heck, it's even air tight - there's a little pressure release valve to be used in case you have trouble opening it). I got mine at REI. It looks like this:

671122.jpg

And you can read about it HERE.

But I wouldn't use one for geocaching. It's too expensive, and is really overkill for most situations. It would be an invitation for someone to walk off with it.

Guest BigDoggie

I think putting an expensive pelican case out as a container would almost guarantee that it would be stolen.

One can resist the temptation to steal a $3 ammo box with $10 worth of trinkets in it... I don't know about a super-nice, $100 plus, waterproof camera/tool case.

Guest cache_ninja

its not a bad idea. i feel, like a lot of people: that its always more fun to use different containers for different situations (and with 40+ caches, ive had alot of situations) enviroments and such..also im broke so i tend to use what i find..

its just as fun to see what people have some up with when you visit a cache..however, i think a good deal of people would purchase a standard container, and it wouldn't prevent others from using other stuff, so if its not a pain for you and it can generate some $, go for it..

i _do_ think, initially, you would do well printing out some simple durable stickers of some sort..i think people would buy tons of these, ie, geocaching logo(perhaps domain name, but maybe this would create controversy), place to write the name of the cache, coordinates, other info etc. w/ a sharpie. i think alot of people would buy these to stick on their caches...and they can still be creative with the container etc. and just slap on the sticker. if you want to get fancy maybe it can come with an additinal protective clear sticker to put over it once its written on, to protect the writing a bit. but it doesnt matter that much... these stickers would be cheap to make and would sell well i bet.

c/n

ps, maybe it would be nice to put, in small writing, somewhere in the bottom of the sticker, the geocaching.doc info "ie what the hell is this doing here with all this stuff"...? maybe not.

Guest Markwell

I, too, agree with the idea that creating the cache container is half the fun. I've seen MANY ammo boxes, and I've used rubbermaid 9 quart transparent boxes, PVC tubes and one custom job that has the folks laughing. I suggest that we not offer a standard any more than a vague description of how big a "standard" cache container is. Takes the creativity out of it. icon_frown.gif

Guest Markwell

I, too, agree with the idea that creating the cache container is half the fun. I've seen MANY ammo boxes, and I've used rubbermaid 9 quart transparent boxes, PVC tubes and one custom job that has the folks laughing. I suggest that we not offer a standard any more than a vague description of how big a "standard" cache container is. Takes the creativity out of it. icon_frown.gif

Guest gcoughran

Creativity is half the fun, but crumbling or biodegraded caches that leak are NO FUN. I've been using acrylic containers purchased from Bed Bath & Beyond:

You can buy these with stanless steel sides, or with clear acrylic sides. They don't leak and are virtually crush-proof.

Cheap caches got to go, and those placed around poison ivy too!

Guest wildman

I'm new to the sport, but I thought I'd offer an opinion. I'd like to not see widespread use of a standard container. Too commercialized. Nice to see a grassroots approach where caches are as different as the cachers. I think the ammo boxes are ok, but they can rust unless maintained over time. Plastic seems to be the better material, less maintenance, and lighter. Just my .02 worth.

quote:
Originally posted by Team JackQuest:

Saw this while surfing for another use.

http://www.viewtainer.com/

I don't think these are waterproof.

I've been using ammo boxes and really like them. I can see why some people might be nervous to open one up without being able to see into it, but, at least around here, if it's marked "geocache" then I feel pretty safe opening it. I'm not sure if you can get them bulk but at the local army surplus store I've seen them sold a whole pallet at a time.

Guest jeremy

Ammo boxes are excellent. I had one I placed in September and was under about 10 feet of snow all winter. After the snow melted I opened the container and not one drop of water leeched in.

Jeremy

Guest Lou C

Does anybody know of a good source for ammo boxes? I really like them too. They are extremely durable, have a nice seal, and are rather inconspicuous. But where is a nice place to get them? I have seen them at gun shows and army surplus stores. Any good places on the web? Gosh, maybe we could get a high-volume discount from somewhere.

Lou

Guest gstrong1

ey work great.First one I placed was back in early April, in the snow,& have been back to check on it as recently as two weeks ago.Cache & container are in the same condition as when placed. No rust on box & cache contents bone dry.I usually just give the ammo boxes a quick coat of black Rustoleum paint (to cover up the military type lettering) & white lettering labeling it as a geocache. I've purchased 18 50 cal. ammo boxes from www.cheaperthandirt.com. They only run about $4.00/pc. I order 6 at a time. 6 boxes + $8.00 shipping (via UPS from Texas to New York) = about $32.00. Have not gotten a bad box yet, and don't have to drive around looking for a surplus store that has them in stock.The few places I have been to that had them in stock, the price was $6 to $8 /pc & they were in worse shape than any I've received from cheaperthandirt.The last order I got was in the middle of June, so prices may have changed since then, but definitely worth a look. icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 30 July 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

ey work great.First one I placed was back in early April, in the snow,& have been back to check on it as recently as two weeks ago.Cache & container are in the same condition as when placed. No rust on box & cache contents bone dry.I usually just give the ammo boxes a quick coat of black Rustoleum paint (to cover up the military type lettering) & white lettering labeling it as a geocache. I've purchased 18 50 cal. ammo boxes from www.cheaperthandirt.com. They only run about $4.00/pc. I order 6 at a time. 6 boxes + $8.00 shipping (via UPS from Texas to New York) = about $32.00. Have not gotten a bad box yet, and don't have to drive around looking for a surplus store that has them in stock.The few places I have been to that had them in stock, the price was $6 to $8 /pc & they were in worse shape than any I've received from cheaperthandirt.The last order I got was in the middle of June, so prices may have changed since then, but definitely worth a look. icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 30 July 2001).]