Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
jrohde

Aprs Gps Units

I've used my Garmin eTrex Legend with my TinyTrak3 for some time. I've been watching eBay for the Delorme Tripmates to be sold cheaply. I just bought a used Radio Shack (Delorme made) DigiTraveler. I have it modified to power off the TT3 through the data cable.

I've seen a lot of commercial GPS boards with external antenna ports on eBay lately. Has anyone figured and published information to get these working for APRS? The commercial boards I've seen have been selling for $25 and up.

I'm mostly curious as to what people are using for mobile APRS GPS equipment. Webpages and useful links are more than welcome!

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com <------- My regular site with APRS info

www.kc9axz.no-ip.com/ <------- My UI-View Webserver

I don't want to commit a channel of my dual bander to APRS, but would love to get a combined 5 watt 2 meter and GPS unit that would handle APRS as a single unit (not just a radio that has to cable to a gps).

Now that I built my first circuit board (pico keyer) project, I feel that I would be OK spending a few bucks on a project like that, and not just confident that the money I spent was wasted.

I am currently using a PocketTracker with my Legend for APRS. I have a DeLorme but I can't get it to work with the PocketTracker.

I am trying to pick up a good amp off eBay to set up with the DeLorme and my HTX-202.

The PocketTracker is a cute little thing, but 1/4 Watt doesn't go very far.

I want to get a Kenwood TM-D700A and throw a TT3 on it. I have few people I know that have those and they love them, but at 500 bucks a pop, they ain't cheap.

K5KCR

I have a tiny trak 3 built INSIDE a Delome tripmate. Then use a Kenwood TR7400a for 2 meters. I like using a junky radio for dedicated packet. I hate the thought of using a $100+ radio with 100 channels only on 1 freq.

Shane

wØnka

My APRS page

I want to get a Kenwood TM-D700A and throw a TT3 on it. I have few people I know that have those and they love them, but at 500 bucks a pop, they ain't cheap.

The D700 doesn't require a TT3 unit. The D700 has a built in TNC. The TT3 is a limited function TNC. If you have a D700 your perfectly setup for many functions of mobile APRS. The TT3 can only send beacons, it can't decode anything. The D700 on the other hand can send and receive beacons. You can also use the D700 to send and receive messages.

Speaking of rigs, I use the left side of my Yaesu FT-8800R for mobile APRS. The right side can still scan while I play APRS on the left. The home station has a old ADI rig I got for $25. The ADI is dedicated full time to APRS.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I have a Motorola Radius SM50 2ch buisness radio programmed to the APRS freq, a TinkTrack3 and a Motorola Oncore 12 GPS engine w/ serial interface that I purchased off eBay a few months ago.

The Oncore unit uses an external active antenna, purchased from a since forgotten website. Its small, like 2" square and 3/4 tall, siliconed to the top of my truck.

The radio, TT3 and GPS engine are mounted in an ammo box behind the seat. I'm using a small 1/4 wave antenna on the roof next to the gps antenna.

I'm having some programming issues with the radio as it was designed for 150-174mhz and APRS is 144.39 so It doesnt want to stay programmed. The rig minus the radio work great, just xmits on the wrong freq right now. As soon as I get around to making a cable to interface my Kenwood TH731 I'll be back on the air, but I'll be losing my main rig during APRS work so I don't know if i'll be xmitting much packet.

http://www.synergy-gps.com/M12_Oncore_Tracking.html <-- Motorola Oncore M12+

http://byonics.com/tinytrak/ <--TinkTrak3

http://www.commusa.com/catalog.aspx/Motorola_SM50 <--- Motorola Radius SM50

http://www.synergy-gps.com/actant.pdf <--- Active antenna

I found the antenna online for around $30 shipped, the radio I got for $20 at a yard sale brand new, the Oncore was from ebay for around $40 shipped and the TT3 was purchased fome the above website as a kit.

The Radius series radios come in many flavors, VHF and UHF with various freq. ranges, I just happened to get the wrong one, but any radio capable of 144.39mhz should work. Try old Taxicab radios... You only need a single channel.

73's

-Jason

Our group found 5 Radio Shack digi travelers at a RS that had them on final clearance. We all use them with TT3's and various radios depending what each of us had available. The digi travelers have worked very reliably for us for about a year so far.

The D700 doesn't require a TT3 unit. The D700 has a built in TNC. The TT3 is a limited function TNC. If you have a D700 your perfectly setup for many functions of mobile APRS. The TT3 can only send beacons, it can't decode anything. The D700 on the other hand can send and receive beacons. You can also use the D700 to send and receive messages.

Speaking of rigs, I use the left side of my Yaesu FT-8800R for mobile APRS. The right side can still scan while I play APRS on the left. The home station has a old ADI rig I got for $25. The ADI is dedicated full time to APRS.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

What TNC do you use for your FT 8800R? I have that rig in my truck. Love the radio.

The D700 doesn't require a TT3 unit. The D700 has a built in TNC. The TT3 is a limited function TNC. If you have a D700 your perfectly setup for many functions of mobile APRS.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

You are certainly correct. Actually, what my brain had in mind when my fingers misquoted me was that I would have an UnTracker. A buddy locally is using one. He said it was needed to get the GPS signals off the air back into the GPS and giving an active readout on the others running APRS in your area.

Scott here, I use a Kenwood THD7A and now Garmin 60CS. I have made up a power data cable that will run both the radio and gps from one cigarette power plug and do the data exchange. I have used this on and off road as well as hiking. I have used a Garmin GPS iii+ and a GPS V. I find the color screne to be a great addtion. <_<

Anyone tried to build a two way TNC that would send your APRS data and receive other data, like a kantronics TNC would?

Anyone tried this?

Can a GPS reporting mobile be made to work with Garmin's Mapsource software?

I'm thinking a pair of wireless modems, one plugged into the GPS receiver and radio in the mobile and the other at the base plugged directly into the computer. Using the GPS Tracking function of the Mapsource software. I think the software talks to the GPS at about 9600bps, but I'm certain that you could buffer the data and go at 1200bps.

Anyone tried this?

Can a GPS reporting mobile be made to work with Garmin's Mapsource software?

I'm thinking a pair of wireless modems, one plugged into the GPS receiver and radio in the mobile and the other at the base plugged directly into the computer. Using the GPS Tracking function of the Mapsource software. I think the software talks to the GPS at about 9600bps, but I'm certain that you could buffer the data and go at 1200bps.

Could you get a tinytrak to send your signal from an HT used as your roaming beacon back to your mobile unit connected via TNC to a laptop?

Could you get a tinytrak to send your signal from an HT used as your roaming beacon back to your mobile unit connected via TNC to a laptop?

I could be wrong, but I think the Tinytrack only talks - it doesn't listen.

That's correct... and it looks like bigredmed is taking that into account. It appears that the tinytrack is sending information back to another radio that is connected to the laptop via TNC.

A buddy of mine has what he calls an "Untracker". It takes the info from the freq and displays signals on the gps. I will try to reach him this weekend and see if he built it himself or bought it.

On my Garmin 60CS linked to my Kenwood THD7A the data cable allows for data out to send a signal as well as data in to receive a signal. if you set up the garmin as well as the radio for the data in portion you will see the call signs displayed as waypoints on the gps unit. It quickly fills up the waypoint buffer here in So Cal. :D

Interesting coming across geocaching.com (my favorite hobby) while googling for aprs and gps stuff! I've just recently begun playing around with APRS. I bought and built the TinyTrak3 kit -- fantastic, and easy to assemble. I was lucky enough to stumble across an old 2meter HT in my dad's shack that he was no longer using. The battery was bad, and it had no external source for power. I hacked at it to add a standard 12v cigarette cable. I made a custom cable to interface the standard "speaker mic" plugs on the HT to my tinytrak, but I will soon hack at that HT further to put in a cable that interfaces with the TT3 AND supplies power to it from the HT -- trying to eliminate some wire mess.

For GPS I'm currently using my "old" Magellan Sportrak Map, which is my backup geocaching GPS (although my primary at the moment since my MeriPlat took a dive)...

The ultimate plan is to have everything in a nice little box tucked in my trunk. I'm looking at some of the Oncore kits I see from time to time on eBay, as well as the TAPR GPS-25 interface, assuming I come across a GPS 25 board. Maybe I'll stumble across a tripmate or digitraveler for cheap at some point.

I have a Kenwood D700A in my rig, and found The BR-304 by GlobalSat.

It's a nice and small unit, about a box and a half of Rosebud matches, uses 90mA WAAS enabled.

What I had to overcome is the 'ps/2' adapter is for laptops to power the unit on 5V. Since I wasn't using it with a laptop, (but might want to in the future) I cut a mouse extender cable and hooked it to Anderson Power Poles. Added an Archer 12v adapter to the cig lighter to bring the voltage down to 5 and left the factory cable intact.

The adapter for my D700A was already there - 9 pin serial to 1/8"stereo and it plugged in and powered on first time. Very fast to acquire sats, beaconing APRS within 30 seconds of starting the truck.

Now my Rino can be used with my D7A(G), and I can set the D700A as a digi when I'm out of the vehicle.

OddTodd - K7PKT

I use my old Garmin GPS III Plus with my Kenwood D700 mobile in my truck. I like this Garmin line as I can mount the GPS out of the way and use and external antenna.

My geocaching GPS is a Garmin V so that at some point in time I will buy a new GPS, let the GPS V take the place of the GPS III and sell the GPS III plus if I haven't found another use for it by then.

VE4GLS uses his Garmin Etrek Venture with his Kenwood D7A HT and it works well too buy it must be on the dash of the vehicle to see the sats.

VE4MHZ

Any Garmin that supports serial comms will do bi-directional NMEA. The $GPWPL string is the waypoint string that can be sent from and received by the GPS. The D7 and D700 both have the capability to take any received packet and turn it into a $GPWPL string and send it back to the GPS. The GPS will then add this to the waypoint list and show it on the map as well.

The new firmware for the PICPAC is also capable of the $GPWPL strings. Check out the PICPAC at:

www.byonics.com/picpac (byon's site)

www.ke4nyv.com/picpac.htm (my site)

The TinyTrak is NOT a TNC. It is a transmit only, packet encoder. The term TNC is loosely used for the TinyTrak and its just dead wrong. A TNC is capable of receiving and transmitting full AX.25 packet. The TinyTrak only knows AX.25 in the APRS form, compressed MIC-E or human readable ASCII.

As for someone who asked about a simple TX/RX TNC, take look at John Hansen's KISS enabled TNC-X www.tnc-x.com I use several of these with my digi, home station and other current projects. It works like a dream with USB and UI-View.

You might also want to check out the HamHUD II for mobile APRS. I have been a long-time HamHUD user. Check out www.hamhud.net for the official info. Check out my site www.ke4nyv.com/hamhud.htm for info on mine.

Hope that helps yous guys out some.

73'