Garmin Gpsmap 76s Vs Vista

Moosetick

I have decided to get a GPS unit and am looking to spend $200-$250. I have found the GPSmap 76S for $239 ( after $50 rebate) and the Vista for $209 at

http://www.compuplus.com/productsBySubcat....=GPS&mfr=Garmin .

After reading many posts here and looking at the comparison charts for both on Garmin's site they seem nearly identical. Both have 24MB memory, seem to last 10-12 hours on batteries, have nearly identical screen resolution, etc. The 76s does have a "built in quad helix" antenna, whatever that is.

I am looking to do some geocacheing with it and also use it occationally when traveling. I have a few questions.

Since they seem nearly identical to my untrained self, why does the 76S have a suggested retail value of $150 more than the Vista?

Do both have USB PC connections or are they serial?

I see color really drives up the price. It seems like a nice feature but not work that extra price. Is it really that much better?

I appreciate any answers, help, or suggestions concerning these that I may not have mentioned.

Thanks,

Tom

The 76 series is sold to the marine market whereas the eTrex series is sold to the hiker market. Yachtsmen have more money than backpackers.

If you haven't looked at the two units in person you probably should. There's a big difference in overall size. You might decide that either the 76S is too bulky or the Vista's screen is too small. Or you might either really like or dislike the 'clickstick'. Some other differences are:

- the 76S has a jack for an external antenna (so if that quad-helix doesn't work well you can substitute a good patch antenna)

- the 76S has an audible beeper to signal turns, alarms, etc.

- the 76S has some additional marine features: tide charts, drag anchor alarm, etc.

- the 76S floats (but so will the Vista with a chunk of foam attached to make it bulky too)

- the 76S gets best reception when vertical, the Vista when horizontal.

For durability I'd be inclined to bet on the 76S - the clickstick and display connector have both been problem areas for the Vista.

The Vista got an increase in number of trackpoints to 10000 in recent firmware - not sure if the 76S got such an increase.

I have a Vista and it's a great unit but... the buttons are so tiny and hard to press it's quite difficult to use in cold weather. Likewise the click-stick pseudo mouse control can be quite frustrating if you don't press it just right. I've accidentally deleted things when I was trying to exit a menu I didn't want. But it's the best unit around if you want ultimate portability. It's so handy and small I never go into the woods without it. Like RK said the antenna on the 76 works better and the buttons are all on the front making them easy to use. Try them both out if you can and pick the one that feels best in your hands.

I saw these specs on each

Vista 76S

Display Size 2.1 x 1.1 2.2 x 1.6

Pixels (H x W) 288 x 160 240 x 180

Unit Weight 5.3 oz. 7.7 oz.

Unit Size (H x W x D) 4.4 x 2.0 x 1.2 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4

Yeah, the 76S has a bigger screen, but it has less resolution. Yes, it is also larger, but we are talking less that 2" longer. I have no current interest in the marine functions but can see how that can add to the value to the 76S.

Admittedly, I have not treked through the woods with either of these and that extra 2" and 2 oz. may make a difference.

Would the need for the 76S to get better reception by being in a vertical position be a hiderence when cacheing?

Thanks for all the quick responses so far!!

If you haven't actually seen and held the units I think you'll be surprised at how different they are in size. The measurements may not look that different, but just taking LxHxW for each gives 10.6 cubic inches for the Vista and over 23.4 cubic inches for the 76S. Makes a big difference in how easily it fits in your pocket.

My preference would be toward the 76s, but like others said, you really need to look at them both. You may prefer the smaller size of the vista over the generally better antenna and more features of the 76s. I will point out the the MSRP of the vista is $289.27, and the 76s is $430.75, so you can tell which one Garmin considered the better unit. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think there is anything the vista can do that the 76s cant, and the 76s has plenty of features that the vista doesn't. For me the antenna and the bigger display coupled with greater ability to customize the display makes the 76s a no-brainer. Your mileage may vary, of course.