Lets Move On....

Friends,

I heartfully request that we all move on and forget the entrenched positions people have found themselves in over the last few days. Lets put the debarcle behind us, the UK mods have made it clear to TPTB the strength of feeling in this forum so lets put down our keyboards and pick up our GPSs and get on with what this game is all about.

For every time you feel like flaming and arguing on here why not give a pound to the tsunami relife instead. THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE - THATS WHAT REALLY MATTERS. I have been here long enough to see a lot of big fights between people who should really be friends, everyone has saddened me. Yet still the UK GC community has moved from strength to strength.

Having just had my ban lifted (thanks lacto) I have more reason to be agreved then most but I feel now is not the time to sweet the small stuff but to concentrate on the important things. A few mistakes by a mod sre not the end of the world and it is only a hunt for a lunchbox.

Chill people - its only a game.

(A particullarly mellow) Chris

(special thanks Mr Green King and his IPA for his help with this post) hic!

Edited by Chris n Maria

I've got a few posts invested into the topic, meanwhile I've got 3 or 4 times as many answering questions newbies pose. I've also shoveled a foot of snow off all our cars, helped with the driveway, delivered a newspaper to my sister in law who didn't want to leave her house in this storm, took apart the screen door that was broken in last nights 50mph winds and bought the parts I need to fix it.

Meanwhile the snow keeps on falling. 6" more today, and it's looking like another 6" tonight. I'm going to have a beer and if I should post again on the topic, for me it's part of the bigger picture, but it's not the only part. If the topic was left alone it would last what, 3 days? Then everyone would move on with their system purged. 3 days is how long this storm is supposed to last. Good thing I've got that much beer.

Yes let us please move on.

I have met with several cachers today where we have disscussed this.

Some people may stay away in protest, I am sure they will be back when they are ready.

Our mods, Lactodorum and Eckington have worked hard at trying to move us away from this and leaving people free to ventilate.

Lets just get out and have some fun ( or stay in and have some).

That's there and here's here.

Now lets move on to caching! I went out yesterday and did 3 local (West Midlands,UK) caches all involving pleasant walks, two next to a pretty canal, thanks Stu and Sarah and Jilly and Gray.

My old Garmin 12 usually gives between 3 and 6m error message but yesterday it was consistently 10m. So much so that the last cache involved a good hunt for a easy hide. Has anyone else experienced this during stormy weather? Or should I put it down to coincidence?

Alan

My old Garmin 12 usually gives between 3 and 6m error message but yesterday it was consistently 10m. So much so that the last cache involved a good hunt for a easy hide. Has anyone else experienced this during stormy weather? Or should I put it down to coincidence?

It might have been a coincidence, but very thick cloud which is producing a lot of precipitation, particularly wintry showers, most certainly does attenuate the GPS signal.

The UHF radio frequency which our GPSrs use (1,575.42MHz) has the natural charateristic that it cannot penetrate water. Remember that the signal is transmitted from the satellites with only 50 watts of power. Imagine how dim a 50 watt lightbulb would be if you were to try to see it from 20,000 miles away.

The GPS signal just doesn't have enough energy to get through the heaviest of thick clouds. In a very heavy snowshower you can even lose the signals altogether.

My guess is that you were observing a weather effect.

Cheers, The Forester