Can The Owner Of A Cache....

TurtleFace

Is it okay for an owner of a cache to take items from their own cache? We are new to GeoCaching and were wondering.

We had a cache that recently held a GeoCoin. We decided to take it because we have never had a GeoCoin. Is that OK? :rolleyes:

We were just wondering. ;)

Edited by TurtleFace

I dont really see any reason why not.. I mean, not every time a t-bug comes you shouldnt because it will distract others wanting to go if your taking all the booty! I have taken one t-bug from my own caches I think.. just because it was sitting and I wanted to get it moving.. I am sure you will get lots of mixed opinions....

I've only taken something from one of my own caches twice: A Marky & Joani Signature Smashed Penny and an Oregon Geocoin from Nurse Dave. I emailed Marky and Nurse Dave before going out to grab them, and they didn't have a problem with me doing that.

I think the general consensus, is it's fine to grab TB's as long as you're helping them get to their goal. I now of a few people in our area that both place and pick up TB's in caches they've already found, or ones that they own.

Definitely log a note saying what you did so that people don't go to the cache expecting to find the coin.

Edited by Touchstone
Is it okay for an owner of a cache to take items from their own cache? We are new to GeoCaching and were wondering.

We had a cache that recently held a GeoCoin. We decided to take it because we have never had a GeoCoin. Is that OK? :rolleyes:

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to take something out of your own cache. When Jeep Travel Bugs first came out, one was placed in one of my hard caches. I "borrowed" it and added some miles to it before returning to my cache.

I wrote a log note on the cache page, and wrote a note on the actual cache log so everyone knew that the Jeep was not there. I have also took a fellow geocachers signature item because I wanted to add it to my collection.

Welcome to the fun world of Geocaching!

We have taken items out of our caches...some to large...some trash...some TBs to get them moving along again.

Just remember to log the GeoCoin to get the symbol onto your stats page & also...just a reminder that the GeoCoins are like Travel Bugs...the people bought them to move from cache to cache.

Have tons of fun caching & then try benchmarking!

Shirley~

P.S. What is the name of your cache?

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)
I guess it would be ok, just log is as a note, not a find. And make sure you leave something too!  :rolleyes:

That is generally how I see it too.

You really must stop this thinking alike thing, mtn-man. You're spending waaay too much time with the puppy monster. That PM is getting to both of us.

Absolutely. It's a great way to "refresh" the cache if it has too many so-so items in it. It's also a good way to grab some of the signature items that might have meaning to you.

The only downside I see is that it may make your cache less "interesting" to those that know you will grab items like geocoins which they may have wanted to grab -- but if they already know where the cache is then it's no different from you going to it.

Geocoins are a bit of a tough topic -- they darn things are so "collectable", but they are supposed to move. I'm about to launch 10 of them into the wild and wonder how many "hops" they'll have before they are "collected"

We were just wondering. :rolleyes:

I would like to know if you have a cache at all? Your profile stats do not show anything. If you are using a 'sock puppet' account to ask about this...you must be planning on keeping said GeoCoin without anyone finding out it was you who took it.

Just curious...

Shirley~

We had a cache that recently held a GeoCoin. We decided to take it because we have never had a GeoCoin. Is that OK? :sad:

I would like to know if you have a cache at all? Your profile stats do not show anything. If you are using a 'sock puppet' account to ask about this...you must be planning on keeping said GeoCoin without anyone finding out it was you who took it.

Just curious...

Shirley~

I do have a cache under a different profile. I do not plan to keep the geocoin, the only reason I am using this account is because our real account has our picture on it and my family doesn't want that too public. ;)

TurtleFace

When I first began caching last year, I was told not to do this. I was told the contents of my caches were for other people. In fact, I was scolded for trying to do this. Since that time, I have seen other area cachers take items from their own caches often, especially travel bugs.

So now if I am doing cache maint. or I know a real cool signature item was left in one of my caches, I go trade for the item in question. Note: I have only actually done this twice though.

My caches don't get weekly visits, or even monthly (often). So, I help move things that get "stuck." Which reminds me, there may be a t.b. out in THE BIG PICTURE which has been there at least two months...I'd better check it out.

I sort of got the idea from the OP that you might be collecting that coin? If it is a signature item, then treat it as a "gift" to you/your cache. If it is a numbered coin for tracking...then don't.