Automatic Coordinate Conversion?

Chalky723

Hi All,

A quick poser - I'm usting the normal lat-long coordinates on my GPS for adding waypoints. But if I want to use it in conjunction with my map, when I switch the Datum etc to comply with the map and it then shows the waypoint as a grid reference is it accurate?

It'd be nice to be able to use the map to get close which is a bit awkward using lat/long...

Cheers,

Chalky

:rolleyes:

British?!? Well I can't help! I'm still trying to figure out the Metric system. ;)

Thats ok, we are far from being completely metricated by Europe. We still order beer and milk by the pint, measure distance in miles, height in feet and inches and weight in stone.

Dan ;)

If you input the coords in Lat/ long, and WGS84 for say a cache, then switch to any other map datum, or any other format than Lat/Long, the cache coords will convert and be correct. However if you input a coordinate from another a map using another datum while in WGS84 datum and then switch to the original datum it will be off.

Inother words. You have to use the datum that the map uses to match the map. Your GPS will convert any format or datum accurately as long as it was input properly for the system your GPS was in at the time.

Edited by EraSeek

Thats ok, we are far from being completely metricated by Europe. We still order beer and milk by the pint, measure distance in miles, height in feet and inches and weight in stone.

The maps are in Kilometres though!!

I prefer metric myself - I know how heavy a Kilo is & how far a Km is, I always convert miles to metres, as for leagues, rods, chains, yards & furlongs......;)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Chalky