Locationless Rant

Uno Mas

OK, this is probably not your normal locationless rant, but I just have to say it. I "found" a locationless cache, sometime around March of 2004. Sometime around Oct or Nov my entry got deleted because it "was a duplicate." I KNOW I checked to make sure there was not another log for this item. I search on the state, state abbreviation and town name. The town name is fairly unusal and was (is) included in the log that was not deleted, but I did not find it during my search.

Now, I guess I could have missed it, but I also know that you can backdate entries and the only way that I know of (not an expert on this) to be certain of when the cache was actually entered into geocaching is by the e-mail that was sent to the owner (or watchers of the cache). Obviously, the owner was not keeping up with this since it took months to delete my entry.

It's not a big deal, only one find and although I do pay attention to my numbers I am certainly not obsessed. I go out of my way to verify, to the best of my ability without hours of work, that my find IS unique. It just aggravates me that it showed up so long after the fact and I'm not convinced it wasn't back-dated before my entry. Ok... so there it is. I'm sure I'll get some messages relating to the complete lameness of locationless caches and that this is another reason we shouldn't have the at all, but that's OK. I just needed to have my say.

When I did my locationless caches GC.com really, really, really wanted me to have rule of only one location per customer. Personally I never cared and I changed the rule after it was approved. Some guy in PA won't log the same thing as a guy in ID, but both will have to figure it out. True you could read the old logs and find the local item of interest, but then you could just as easily make it so you can't see the logs until you have logged it so everyone can enjoy the locationless.

By way of example I found the ONLY FRIGGING Frank Lloyd Wright house in Idaho. But someone beat me too it. I did the work, I put in my time, and I'm screwed. I'd rather see it the other way around where I can't see what anyone logged until I log my find.

That's my rant. Thanks for the excuse.

By way of example I found the ONLY FRIGGING Frank Lloyd Wright house in Idaho. But someone beat me too it. I did the work, I put in my time, and I'm screwed. I'd rather see it the other way around where I can't see what anyone logged until I log my find.

Funny you should mention that one because it is the only cache I have really had any issues with. I found a relatively well know FLW house near my home and had numerous book references, photos and pictures with the plaques in it and he disallowed because it was not in some obscure incomplete reference material he used.

Oh well, guess you own yomake the rules.

Inhale.

Hold your breath.

Keep holding.

Keep holding.

Exhale.

Now go caching again.

I think this is pretty darn good advice! B)

I will add though, have you tried emailing the owner and explaining? I would hope that a reasonable person would look at it and allow the find if it is likely that the duplicate was backdated. Of course they might not be reasonable, at which point you can do one of two things: (1) log your find on one of your archived caches (or a friend's archived cache with permission if you don't have any, I didn't look to see there) to keep your stats striaght. Just explain it in the log. (2) take Fly's advice and just let it slide. Sometimes things happen. Personally I would write the owner and then just let it go if they said no. But the other option has been done before.

Inhale.

Hold your breath.

Keep holding.

Keep holding.

Exhale.

Now go caching again.

I think this is pretty darn good advice! :rolleyes:

I will add though, have you tried emailing the owner and explaining? I would hope that a reasonable person would look at it and allow the find if it is likely that the duplicate was backdated. Of course they might not be reasonable, at which point you can do one of two things: (1) log your find on one of your archived caches (or a friend's archived cache with permission if you don't have any, I didn't look to see there) to keep your stats striaght. Just explain it in the log. (2) take Fly's advice and just let it slide. Sometimes things happen. Personally I would write the owner and then just let it go if they said no. But the other option has been done before.

It is good advice.

I considered contacting the owner but was concerned I come across as whiny. I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'm not so concerned about numbers to log an archived cache, so I'll just let it rest but appreciate the advice.

I just needed to get this off my chest and am glad to have the venue to do it! Ironically, someone in my area had his log deleted at the same time on the same cache. Guess he was just doing some house cleaning. :rolleyes:

I'm going to check out the analyzer, a little help never hurts!

Thanks for the input!