14 Channels Vs 12 Channels

hwyman

I've been noticing that newer units are featuring 14 channel receivers. I believe my MeriPlat can only pull signal from 12 birds. I have never had that happen..in fact, I'm willing to say I've only been able to receive about 8-9 at any one time. That was roughly at sea-level with no obstructions to the horizon. The only way I can imagine pulling 12-14 signals at once would have to be on top of a high mountain. Or am I wrong?

Yes, I've sometimes received signals from 12 regular GPS satellites while on ridgelines or other areas with very clear horizons. So 14 channels would on rare occasions let you get a couple more signals if you're also getting a couple WAAS signals.

But from a practical standpoint it really doesn't matter since you don't gain any noticeable accuracy from extra satellites once you have 6 or 7 with reasonable geometry. But the electronics cost of adding the additional channels is also insignificant so I'm sure we'll see more manufacturers come out with over 12 channels.

If you have a perfectly clear view of the sky, it's a non-issue. It's the case where you DON'T that matters. When you're in the woods, each channel will come and go as your view of each bird gets obstructed. You want a receiver that has as many "ears" on as it can.

This info is a little dated (everything is parallel, SA is dead, etc.) but you can extrapolate the 4-12 logic to 14.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/why12.htm

Honestly, I doubt it's a life-altering diffence, but the "you only need a couple of birds to get a lot" position is missing the reality of obstructed views. Even if you don't get all 14 at the same time (or even 12) the odds of you getting "more" are better and that'll allow the unit to chose a constellation with a better geometry to provide a better HDOP.