Time To Move On ????????

FYI: it was closed in response to the last post in this thread. As far as I can see all of the other closed threads were closed for the same reason. Keystone Approver was doing his job. He, being a 'super mod', IS your moderator as much as any other mod.

It might have made things a little easier if he had explained what he was doing instead of just cutting and pasting an obscure reference to a thread on another forum entirely when he closed the first thread on the UK forum.

Edited by Slytherin
FYI: it was closed in response to the last post in this thread. As far as I can see all of the other closed threads were closed for the same reason. Keystone Approver was doing his job. He, being a 'super mod', IS your moderator as much as any other mod.

It might have made things a little easier if he had explained what he was doing instead of just cutting and pasting an obscure reference to a thread on another forum entirely when he closed the first thread on the UK forum.

True, that would have been a very good idea. Hindsight is always 20/20 tho. I would guess that he figured some of the regulars here were aware of that thread and why it was closed.

I'd hate to guess a percentage, but a signigicant number of regular visitors to the UK section will never, or rarely, venture outside. A one line reference was just plain rude in my humble opinion.

I can see how it may be considered rude, especially to those who do not know of his status on this site.

I would also guess that few people from outside this forum venture inside. Maybe both of those things should change. That may be one positve result from all of this.

I can see how it may be considered rude, especially to those who do not know of his status on this site.

I would also guess that few people from outside this forum venture inside. Maybe both of those things should change. That may be one positve result from all of this.

That's a good point. I do venture out, mainly to the website section and have seen KA knocking about.

However, surely if someone wants to just browse the UK section, what's OK. The very point is that for a lot of people, they're first experience of KA was when he came in and closed threads with very little explanation.

So, maybe it would belp if these supermods actually introduced themselves to us? Is there a 'meet the team' section? How many more of these supergods are there?

OK, I'm going all poetic now....

[cue Simpson's stylee cloud....]

Let's imagine that you live in a small isolated village in a very large country. There's one pub and everyone drinks there. Hell, even the joint mayors of the village (it's very democratic) drink there. It's a great pub, there's lots of friendly banter, but everyone's happy. Somebody pops a collection box on the bar for some reason. A few people drop a few coppers in....

..... then all of a sudden one day, some bloke walks in, says "You were warned", scatches the box and walks out. All hell breaks loose!

"Who the hell was that?"

[fade back to normal]

That's how it felt in here the other day. I am not critisising any individuals here. Just trying to make the point that if these people have this power over this forums, they should at least have the decency to say hello.

Hello

I'm new,since November 04. I'm English, since 57.

I rely on the UK forum for my information on geocaching rather than the other regional forums as, sadly through another sport I have "enjoyed" the American way of posting (carry a big stick and frequently use it) which comes from a very vociferous few and I want substance not hot air.

Remember always, its their ball and even if they do happen to employ a bad referee we still have to play with their ball.*

So I for one am off hunting and with this real gale blowing I should get round my targets twice as fast.

Finally, in answer to the topic title (and the several similar ones) my answer is YES.

Its a hunt for a lunch box - lets not make too big a meal out of it.

Happy New Year

Alan

* unless and until a viable alternative actually appears, of course!

Not too long ago a certain country invaded another country. A short sharp exercise and all would be well. Now, some years later the flames are still burning and there is no end in sight to the troubles.

Maybe, just maybe, if Keystone Approver had sat back just for a moment (Or spoken to L or E) the perceived problem would have died a natural death. Now, as with a certain country, there is no end in sight.

Is it any wonder that large parts of the globe detest a certain large country and all it atands for?

And isn't that the point? A perfectly civil discussion of what the archiving of certain caches was closed becasue of what others were doing elsewhere. Instead of recognising good behaviour and rewarding it TPTB took action that appeared absurd and was rightly seen by many as unnecessary and irrelevant intervention. It only served to prompt further threads, leading to more moderation, and only then did issues of nationality etc come into it.

Instead of closing down all discussion of a subject that many people felt was important, it would have been more appropriate to post a notice that another thread had been cosed, why, and ask people to note that discussion could only continue as long as it was done so respectfully in accordance with the guidines. Instead the threads were closed whether the guidlines were relevant or not.

Saying "It's a private company so can do what it wants" is just like saying "I am a paying customer, I can take my money elsewhere" - neither resolves the issue, and neither benefits the sport.

As an experieinced moderator I can tell you - what happened was bad moderation, pure and simple. If mistakes re not recognised, they will be repeated. I am encouragedthat Lactodorum says that behind the scenes discussions on this issue continue. However, if people keep coming here from elsewhere saying that al lthat happened was OK and if yo udon't like it take your toys elsewhere - people will.

The last three replies have made some very good points and help to clarify why we (UK geocachers) have been so upset by these recent events!

I may not agree with the foreign policy of any particular country but that doesn't mean I have anything against their ordinary populace and I would be surprised if I was alone in this philosophy.

However many of the national comments that have been posted may have given the false impression to the contrary and that is very regretable.

As our own Rabbie Burns once said "we are all Jock Tamson's bairns" meaning we all very much alike no matter where we originate from. :rolleyes:

Renegade Knight, remind me why the Idaho forums have an off-topic forum? For that matter, why have a bunch of different sections at all? As I recall, you tend to respect the divisions there and post as appropriate for the area you're in.

You're correct; this is a forum and forums are places to discuss things. But forums have topics, and not every discussion belongs in every forum. You know that, and respect it in the forums that you have an personal interest in....

Our off topic forum is named in honor of a geocacher who passed on. It exists because early on Idahoflyer wanted it to exist or agreed with the person who made the request. While I'm sure there was a time when there was no off topic area I don't remember it. Nor do I remember Idahoflyer ignoring the desires of the vast majority of his members for a couple of years before an off topic area was created.

The discussion banned was the result of a cache and the surrounding politics and it's moved on to the lack of freedome to discuss it. While there may be other forums it would be hard to find a better one than these. Sometimes you have to let people get things out of their system.

Enough said.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Not too long ago a certain country invaded another country. A short sharp exercise and all would be well. Now, some years later the flames are still burning and there is no end in sight to the troubles.

Maybe, just maybe, if Keystone Approver had sat back just for a moment (Or spoken to L or E) the perceived problem would have died a natural death. Now, as with a certain country, there is no end in sight.

Is it any wonder that large parts of the globe detest a certain large country and all it atands for?

You're talking about Canada, right? :rolleyes:

And isn't that the point? A perfectly civil discussion of what the archiving of certain caches was closed becasue of what others were doing elsewhere. Instead of recognising good behaviour and rewarding it TPTB took action that appeared absurd and was rightly seen by many as unnecessary and irrelevant intervention. It only served to prompt further threads, leading to more moderation, and only then did issues of nationality etc come into it.
Hopefully, now that cooler heads seem to be prevailing, this thread is a start back towards civilized discussion. Politics and nationality have no place either in that discussion or on these boards, that is just my opinion tho.

Instead of closing down all discussion of a subject that many people felt was important, it would have been more appropriate to post a notice that another thread had been cosed, why, and ask people to note that discussion could only continue as long as it was done so respectfully in accordance with the guidines. Instead the threads were closed whether the guidlines were relevant or not.
This happens in the main forums sometimes, and yes, it does drive some away from participating in those forums.

Saying "It's a private company so can do what it wants" is just like saying "I am a paying customer, I can take my money elsewhere" - neither resolves the issue, and neither benefits the sport.
The sad part is that all three of those statements are true...
Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions posted, but this is a moderated discussion forum. We simply want to preserve the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending participants. This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate. The additional step of editing or deleting a post will only be taken in appropriate circumstances; again, the intent is not to censor legitimate discussion or to change the meaning of any post. If we edit a post and you do not like the changes please feel free to notify us and we will delete your post. Examples of posts that may be edited or deleted include posts containing profanity, chain letter and other spam postings, posts that disclose the tracking number codes for Groundspeak travel bugs or posts that reveal private information about another community member. Other examples are discussed in the guidelines below.

Hmmm... following guidlines...... :rolleyes:

Many thanks to all who have contributed, and those who allowed the question to be asked, it would appear that a lot of cachers are "voting with their feet".so I'll close this thread, ....you can continue to contribute......Here...

(seems thats where most people are now. )

I'm sure everyone will be made welcome

thanks

FFB