Time To Move On ????????

Doesn't it ever surprise you about the number of posts from other countries ????Why are they so low ? Don't they talk?

Maybe there are less naive ? more advanced ? perhaps they saw the light earlier?

Like the Australians Australian cachers

Or the Belgians Belgian cachers ..

to name but 2 ...

Waken up peeps! ....... If you want to stay in a dictatorship , do it,...but stop the whinging about not being able to speak.

Personally I think anyone who is dissatisfied with the current state of affairs in here should consider making their main posts on another local geocaching forum site - like geocachinguk.com.

In the next few days I'll be checking out their forums. I'm just not happy here.

Take this:

"The mods here have no modding power outside the forum they handle. The mod who closed the topics here is one of only a handful of supermods. He is special in that he's entrusted to enforce the forum guidelines system-wide."

What's that? The Matrix? Orwell? Bah humbug B)

...but stop the whinging about not being able to speak.

When one can't whinge, one can't speak one's mind.

I've been very upset by recent events on the UK forums. Although not personally involved in the T-oops, almost said it- debate I can see why it was closed. Cachers are free to give to any charity in any way they like, but not use Geocaching.com as a platform. I can accept that even though there's a part of me that thinks some flexibility could have been employed by our Masters Across The Ocean (MATO, like TPTB but more NATO and Matey) towards the two existing UK 'T' caches.

The closing of the threads about closing of threads was, in my middle class, middle England point of view heavy handed, insensitive (to a nation of cachers who don't like the rug being whipped out from under their feet) and extreme. I've reread the RULES of the forums and can't see how they could have been applied to the conversations which were closed down by a 'super', unless they were being interpreted in a very gung-ho way. I think an apology is in order - not to me, but to the people suspended for expressing an opinion OUTSIDE the forbidden subject of T-oops, almost did it again. I'd also like to read that there's been an apology by MATO for the distress and anger caused to UK forum users by 'this business' as a whole, but suspect that's never going to happen. See below.

I'm not a paying customer of GC.COM but I do invest a lot of time, effort and money in providing caches for other cachers to find and have always felt very much a part of caching, not least because of the very warm welcome I was given by other UK cachers when I started playing. It turns out, however, that I am not a welcome guest or a respected customer. It turns out I'm a naughty dog to be shushed and knocked on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper. Not a nice feeling.

Reading in another closed thread that the gagging-order seems to have been classed as 'just dandy' by MATO made things much worse for me. One loose cannon I could understand, but apparently he wasn't a lone gunman. Apparently his intervention was an appropriate reaction to a situation. Well, here we don't use petrol to put out a chip pan fire. We use a damp cloth.

Mr Blair - That's Eric Blair, better known as George Orwell - had the right idea. Thought Police, Big Brother, tyranny through technology. I don't want it to be my human face being stamped on, forever. Ok, ok. now I'm over reacting, lol!

I'm sorry to add my thoughts on these matters again - I know L&E don't need the stress and have called for calm (I am calm, I'm just very disappointed and angry. Lack-of-calm is when people start pulling the seats out and throwing them) but I know you can't sort out a mess by wheeling the sofa over it to hide it. You solve it with a Hoover, another damp cloth and elbow grease. I apologise to them for any additional trouble this post causes/may cause and I hope they understand my reasons for posting it.

As a small protest about the thread closures I'm going on forum strike. 'We' have been told to shut up and I'm going to. This will be my last post on the Groundspeak (or don't speak) forums until I feel 'free' to return. It's not much of a protest I know, but I'm not a monk with a can of petrol and it's not as big a deal as the Chinese invasion of Tibet.

We, the undersigned, feel our freedoms of self expression have been trampled on. We would like a sincere apology from MATO for upsetting UK forum users. If we get to 56 names we get to keep the country, apparently.

Simply Paul - Paul Smith

Edited by Simply Paul
As a small protest about the thread closures I'm going on forum strike. 'We' have been told to shut up and I'm going to. This will be my last post on the Groundspeak (or don't speak) forums until I feel 'free' to return.

Yep, same for me in the short term. And I would encourage many others B)

if anything, all these repeat topics will keep me away. Same thing, new thread...boring.

Well at least it will be a bit more peaceful - maybe we will be able to discuss such things as Geocaching and the equipment we use, or even give a hand to someone who needs a bit of help! B)

Before you all get too excited about whether or not there's a boycott going on: be aware that in some countries (Belgium is one), their own national site's forum is far. far more active than here. I don't know if it's also the case for Australia but it's certainly true for, say. Switzerland and Holland.

Having used e-mail since 1980, newsgroups since 1984, and forums like those on Compuserve since 1988, I always find it slightly amusing when people hit their first mega-flame-war. At one point GC.com was being compared to Nazi Germany, which just goes to prove how true Godwin's Law (qv on Google) is.

Nick

I don't know if it's also the case for Australia.....

It is, yes. I asked a question on the Australian forum last year, and was directed to the Australian Geocaching communities own forum, not the geocaching.com one. It was very active, yet there were next to non posts on the geocaching.com one.

We've got a perfectly good one at GeocacheUK for us UK peeps if people want to stay away from here for a while B)

Personally I think anyone who is dissatisfied with the current state of affairs in here should consider making their main posts on another local geocaching forum site - like geocachinguk.com.

In the next few days I'll be checking out their forums. I'm just not happy here.

Take this:

"The mods here have no modding power outside the forum they handle. The mod who closed the topics here is one of only a handful of supermods. He is special in that he's entrusted to enforce the forum guidelines system-wide."

What's that? The Matrix? Orwell? Bah humbug B)

Would it really make a difference if the mod in question was from the UK? Something tells me that there would be a lot less complaining about it if he was.

Get over it. It doesn't matter where someone is from, only that they can do the job they have been assigned/volunteered for.

The Scots on the 6th April 1320 at Arbroath (a long winded declaration broken down into easy reading, full document supplied on request)

We demand the right to be left in peace.

We demand the right to make our own decisions, free from duress.

We demand the right to our own established space.

We demand the right to defend ourselves and take up arms, if necessary, against those who oppose or threaten our lawful freedom.

Myself I'm not that forceful as Rabbie Burns so eloquently put it (particularly second verse):

Address to the Unco Guid.

My Son, these maxims make a rule,

An lump them ay thegither:

The Rigid Righteous is a fool,

The Rigid Wise anither;

The cleanest corn that e'er was dight

May hae some pyles o caff in;

So ne'er a fellow-creature slight

For random fits o daffin.

O ye, wha are sae guid yoursel,

Sae pious and sae holy,

Ye've nought to do but mark and tell

Your neebours' fauts and folly!

Whase life is like a weel-gaun mill,

Supplied wi store o water;

The heapet happer's ebbing still,

An still the clap plays clatter!

Hear me, ye venerable core,

As counsel for poor mortals

That frequent pass douce Wisdom's door

For glaikit Folly's portals:

I for their thoughtless, careless sakes,

Would here propone defences -

Their donsie tricks, their black mistakes,

Their failings and mischances.

Ye see your state wi theirs compared,

And shudder at the niffer;

But cast a moment's fair regard,

What makes the mighty differ?

Discount what scant occasion gave;

That purity ye pride in;

And (what's aft mair than a' the lave)

Your better art o hidin.

Think, when your castigated pulse

Gies now and then a wallop,

What ragings must his veins convulse,

That still eternal gallop!

Wi wind and tide fair i your tail,

Right on ye scud your sea-way;

But in the teeth o baith to sail,

It makes an unco lee-way

See Social Life and Glee sit down,

All joyous and unthinking,

Till, quite transmugrify'd, they're grown

Debauchery and Drinking:

O, would they stay to calculate

Th' eternal consequences,

Or your more dreaded hell to state -

Damnation of expenses!

Ye high, exalted, virtuous dames,

Tied up in godly laces,

Before ye gie poor Frailty names,

Suppose a change o cases:

A dear-lov'd lad, convenience snug,

A treach'rous inclination -

But, let me whisper in your lug,

Ye're aiblins nae temptation.

Then gently scan your brother man,

Still gentler sister woman;

Tho they may gang a kennin wrang,

To step aside is human:

One point must still be greatly dark,

The moving Why they do it;

And just as lamely can ye mark,

How far perhaps they rue it.

Who made the heart, 'tis He alone

Decidedly can try us:

He knows each chord, its various tone,

Each spring, its various bias:

Then at the balance let's be mute,

We never can adjust it;

What's done we partly may compute,

But know not what's resisted.

You can ban me!

You can moderate me!

You will never take away my freedom of speech!

p.s. on the picket line!

anyone got a brazier

Have to agree fully with Snaiks sentiments above.

To me the phrase which always stands out in the Declaration of Arbroath is

.It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

May not go quite as far as that - but shall certainly be joining the pickets!!

I am not a frequent visitor of the forums, however Beverly and myself are awe struck by the arrogance of the moderation that has recently taken place, with I might add with no response the High Head Yins ( refering to the people who take the money) will there be a response!

If not I will go somewhere else, not a threat fact!

LL

Speaking as an Orcadian who is a ferrylouper in this context, and as a complete newcomer to the bigotry of the isolationists who present themselves as "Scotsmen", I'd comment that treasure hunting is best done with an open mind and an open heart.

I hope that the navicache.com/geocache.com community is not really as bigoted as it presents itself.

Sigurd

You know, I misspoke when I responded to the other thread. I talked about people being thrown out for going on about stuff the owner of the establishment didn't want them to go on about.

I was wrong. To my knowledge, no one's actually been thrown out over this current round of posts. But people have been asked to drop certain topics.

---

Over Christmas weekend, I got together with my wife's family at my brother-in-law's. Somewhere around Christmas Eve, the discussion turned to politics. Now, I've read a bit here and there about how interested people all over the world are in American politics and the recent election, and I've even seen some stuff here and there in these forums on how some Brits in particular feel about things. None of it compares to how strongly we Americans feel about matters currently, even within the same family.

So there we were, three or four of us arguing about the last election and the current administration and what might happen with the next election ... We were getting louder and louder, more and more heated, and the members of the family who weren't immediately involved in the debate were becoming more and more stressed and unhappy. We were spoiling Christmas. And so my mother-in-law finally asked us all to drop it and move on, to focus on what we were all in town for.

What do you all think? Should I have become more angry and yelled at her for censoring me?

I didn't feel like I was being treated like a naughty dog, I didn't demand the right to use 'my established space' in my brother-in-law's house as I wished. I was part of the group that was spoiling the peace. I was part of the problem. If we had felt a need to continue despite that, we could have always taken it outside, gone for a walk or three around the block or something. No one was keeping us from talking, censoring us. They were just asking us to not forget why we were here, and to be courteous to the rest of the folks in the house.

---

Some of you have put money into geocaching.com, some of you have put in time and effort. If that's the case, if you feel you deserve credit for it, just think how much more time and effort the cache reviewers and moderators have put in, day in and day out. If you deserve respectful and polite treatment, Then surely so do they.

Some terrible things have happened in the recent past. The tsunami, maybe the American elections depending on where you stand on some issues, but the Internet's a really big place with plenty of room to talk about all of them, to get involved if you wish. We're all here, in this place, on geocaching.com, for another reason. If we all stand around in the middle of the forums and go on about those topics that have nothing to do with geocaching, if we get louder and louder, more and more heated, we're going to spoil things for everyone else.

So folks were asked to drop the discussion. When it didn't happen quickly enough, the message was repeated more forcefully and with accompanying action. That upset people, and may or may not have been the best way to handle the situation. I can't say; my mother-in-law can be forceful and make me angry, too. That's doesn't mean she's been out-of-line to behave that way.

You've been asked to move on, and yet there's still this discussion about how wronged people feel. This isn't moving on. If you just can stand not talking about the subject, go take a walk around the block. Take it to e-mail, find any of the multitude of places on the Net where you can help on relief efforts, whatever. You aren't being censored.

Your choice - hang out here and talk about geocaching, go somewhere else to talk about things appropriate to talk about there.

Thanks.

Hi folks. I am not from the UK, so unless you read the general forums you may not know me. I apologize for butting into your region, but this affects me and I have been trying all day to think of something to say to you all about this. Unfortunately I have had trouble finding the best words to concisely explain the difference between Constitutional free speech and the lack of any rights to that on a private forum. I also have had difficulty finding the best way to explain how the actions of a decent number of people posting here have hurt a dear friend of mine who meant no personal insult to any of you and was doing his job. Through that, they also have left me feeling rather disappointed with some of you. I don't like being disappointed with people, especially when I worry that I am getting a bad impression of people that are likely normally quite nice. B) So I will leave only the basic ideas of all that and instead say this:

This is game. It is supposed to be fun. It is about finding boxes in parks and woods. It is not about free speech, charity, insults to volunteers or entire countries, or forum revolutions. Although I have seen a few posts in this thread and others that I believe are constructive or show respect in disagreement, I find many to be harmful and non-constructive. The constructive posts then get buried between the rants.

I suggest that you all get up in the morning and go find a box in a park. That is what this is all about and is what we all have in common. Maybe it is time now to focus on that. Focus on the game and what we all commonly enjoy about it.

Then, if you can't be constructive, please, please let it go. Either that or take it to a local or regional forum so that the moderators won't be stuck with the headache of closing more threads and causing more angst with the rest of you. Your own forum moderators have wisely called for calm too. How about saving them from further grief over it all as well? You have made your positions clear to the point where all this carrying on is not helping you. It is hurting both yourselves and others. Why do that? I doubt it is really anyone's intention?

Mostly, please remember it is a game. Say to yourself: A box in the park.... A box in the park. Breath deeply and say it again.

It is game, it is not worth the angst.

Thanks for reading and best wishes for good caching to you all. B)

Carleenp

... Either that or take it to a local or regional forum...

Er.... I thought that's what we WERE doing?

I see the call for that, but not all people seem to be following.....

Plus, I will admit that a good part of my response was not just to this thread, but to the events over the past 24 hours or so. I figured I would speak up in hopes of avoiding more rants here.

I believe Carleen was refering to the rants being taken to *geocachinguk.com*, or any other non Groundspeak forum. WE are all up to speed on whats about here, especially carleen.

I also think you know very well what she was refering to, and are choosing to be ornery.

Edited by woof n lulu
You cant see how this upsets us can you? B) Ive only just paid my membership but now i wish i hadent bothered. British people dont like being treated like children and told to shut up. If we need shutting up we got our own mods to do that

We did have - now we have 'Super Mod' to keep us in tow!

...You've been asked to move on, and yet there's still this discussion about how wronged people feel. This isn't moving on. If you just can stand not talking about the subject, go take a walk around the block. Take it to e-mail, find any of the multitude of places on the Net where you can help on relief efforts, whatever. You aren't being censored.

Your choice - hang out here and talk about geocaching, go somewhere else to talk about things appropriate to talk about there.

Thanks.

Mt Fellalker your post is nice, it illustrates a point, points out who’s in charge and in the end misses the point that a lot of people in the UK forums have been trying to make. The advice is free, it’s a matter of listening to it in the best forums geocaching has to offer. They are the best not because of TPTB but because of the participants.

This is a forum. A place to discuss things. That's its purpose in life, that's its reason for being. Thats why things are being discussed. The more Groundspeak wades in and decides this topic is bad and that topic is bad, and discussion should be about peace love and happiness related to geocaching the less of all three there will be in the forums. The tighter the restrictions on discussions, the more people will move on to local forums or other national forums where they can discuss things, vent, rant, post congratulations and so on.

If you believe the GPSGames.org version of how the forums here started, they were started out of a certain persons frustration at being modded. The forums serve a purpose. Free discussion within minimal bounds (as opposed to bounds that are slowly moving the direction of draconian). Ironically if you believe the version of history presented by GPSgames.org these forums were founded out of a frustration of being modded on another forum.

GC.com can only shoot itself in the foot so many times before they have nothing left to stand on. If GC.com loses having the most participation in their forums of any caching site to another international site, they have come that much closer to the end of their reign as a viable geocaching enterprise. Put another way. Bankruptcy. This isn’t rocket science. It’s marketing.

Triple post B)

Were you backspacing after the time for flood control passed? It is a feat to make triple posts! I have made doubles that way, but never triples! B)B) I once made a half double, not sure how that happened.... Wierd stuff, these computers! B)

Anyway, seriously, I am not telling you all to "shut up." But I am suggesting that you take it elsewhere where you can rant as freely as you like. As was pointed out, that was the point of part of this thread anyway. You like your moderators right? Why put them in the uncomfortable position of moderating this mess? Also re-read MT Fellwalker's post. He said it better than I ever could.

Again, I wish happy caching to all of you. :D

Triple post  B)

Were you backspacing after the time for flood control passed? It is a feat to make triple posts! I have made doubles that way, but never triples! B)B) I once made a half double, not sure how that happened.... Wierd stuff, these computers! B)

Anyway, seriously, I am not telling you all to "shut up." But I am suggesting that you take it elsewhere where you can rant as freely as you like. As was pointed out, that was the point of part of this thread anyway. You like your moderators right? Why put them in the uncomfortable position of moderating this mess? Also re-read MT Fellwalker's post. He said it better than I ever could.

Again, I wish happy caching to all of you. :D

Well it seems I've broken the record - I've lost count of how many times this post has be replicated :D

Some of us have indeed taken it elsewhere and I'm abit concerned about your comment

You like your moderators right? Why put them in the uncomfortable position of moderating this mess?
?

Is this a veiled warning or threat? I hope it wasn't meant that way (?).

Please understand that (my) gripe is that we have happily maintained the status quo here in the UK for some time now (after an awful lot of bloodletting) , and we have 2 excellent moderators who have done the Geoching community a sterling service (that includes GC.COM.)

What has upset people here in the UK is that an individual has come in and rode rough shod over the entire UK forums over and above our UK mods (who are well aware of the cultural differences).

We are only a small country in comparison to the USA but we tend to get to know each other through the forums and event caches. We all love the game but but will defend our mods vehemently. All I ask is for them to be allowed to do thier jobs (without outside inteference) as they have done quite amicably for the recent 18 months or so of stability here.

I hope you didn't take offence at my post, it was rather short I admit but was niot intended to be facetious.

You know what? I really do feel that this and the other threads are/were harmful and hurtful. I hoped to try to lessen that. I failed. I like caching and I like cachers. I also like the people who have volunteered time to make this site and operate it. That includes both your moderators and other moderators. I call those people my friends and this isn't a pleasent thing for any of them. I think this thread is harmful and is best taken elsewhere. There are no threats there. It is just my sentiments as a person who has felt hurt from some of all of this. Others have felt that as well. It is best to let it go or take it elsewhere. Regardless of whether that happens, that is what I am doing. So I am off to relax and have a good beer. I'll leave it alone now and shut myself off from posting here. I think it is best for all if the rest do the same, but obviously that is your own choice.

Again, I wish you all happy caching. That is what this all should be about. I am very sincere in that.

You cant see how this upsets us can you? B) Ive only just paid my membership but now i wish i hadent bothered. British people dont like being treated like children and told to shut up. If we need shutting up we got our own mods to do that

Seconded. It appears the cultural divide is a huge one for some to contemplate. We have UK mods who understand - let's leave it to them to administer the UK forum without outside help/interference.

You cant see how this upsets us can you?  B)  Ive only just paid my membership but now i wish i hadent bothered. British people dont like being treated like children and told to shut up. If we need shutting up we got our own mods to do that

I don't believe people of any culture "like being treated like children and told to shut up." Nor do I believe that is an accurate description of what has been happening in the forums. The forums are a service provided by a private company (Groundspeak), and thus bound by the rules of set forth by that company.

The mods are geocachers who, out of their love of geocaching, have volunteered their time to the furthering of geocaching and the geocaching community under the specifications and guidance of the host (again, Groundspeak). They are just doing a job. What difference does the nationality or location of the moderator make? Or, are you supposing that a Brisith mod would ignore the rules he/she agreed to enforce? Would that not be unethical?

You know what? I really do feel that this and the other threads are/were harmful and hurtful. I hoped to try to lessen that. I failed. I like caching and I like cachers. I also like the people who have volunteered time to make this site and operate it. That includes both your moderators and other moderators. I call those people my friends and this isn't a pleasent thing for any of them. I think this thread is harmful and is best taken elsewhere. There are no threats there. It is just my sentiments as a person who has felt hurt from some of all of this. Others have felt that as well. It is best to let it go or take it elsewhere. Regardless of whether that happens, that is what I am doing. So I am off to relax and have a good beer. I'll leave it alone now and shut myself off from posting here. I think it is best for all if the rest do the same, but obviously that is your own choice.

Again, I wish you all happy caching. That is what this all should be about. I am very sincere in that.

That is exactly what some of the longstanding cachers (and some newbies too) are doing here in the UK - we'll talk about it 'elsewhere' no interlopers, 'super mods', we can say what is required- we've been here before and will no doubt be here again.

If you have got an 'in' to the establishment' please let them know that UK cachers are a friendly bunch but will react to interference from ill informed cowboy mods.

sheesh! would you all just grow up! i've seen 5 year olds act more mature than you guys. get over it. move on. if you are so freakin' friendly you would realize that the mod was doing his job and you wouldn't be so stupid to think that all americans are cowboys any more than we think you are all "lobsterbacks".

Edited by uperdooper

Renegade Knight, remind me why the Idaho forums have an off-topic forum? For that matter, why have a bunch of different sections at all? As I recall, you tend to respect the divisions there and post as appropriate for the area you're in.

You're correct; this is a forum and forums are places to discuss things. But forums have topics, and not every discussion belongs in every forum. You know that, and respect it in the forums that you have an personal interest in.

---

This all started with a situation that had gotten out of hand, and attempts to cool things down weren't working. A few people just couldn't get the message, and attempted to continue the flames, and so those threads got closed as well. Maybe some well-meaning people got caught in the crossfire, and if that's the case, I for one am sorry to hear of it. But this isn't the first time this sort of thing has spun out of control, and this time it was happening again. So actions were taken across the board. Maybe the United Kingdom forum could have handled it on your own, but it was only fair to close the threads here as well if they were being closed everywhere else.

Stevexxx, and the rest who are feeling talked down to... I'm sorry you think that's what's been happening. Actually, I'm trying to do just the opposite. I'm trusting that you are all thinking adults, and can see how it can be harmful to continue a discussion when it's turned bad and is causing pain and angst. So here's to chance to prove me correct. Or not ...

I have just got up after an unsettled night and am both disturbed and encouraged. Disturbed by some intemperate remarks from some countries cachers about other countries citizens. These remarks have been made in all directions. It would be nice if nationalistic stereotyping could stop, or at least pause for the purposes of this particular discussion.

I am encouraged however that in the main this discussion has stayed on topic and apart from the comment above has generally been firly well considered.

I would like to correct two misconceptions.

Firstly when Keystone Approver intervened both Eckington and I were asleep in bed (not the same one :(;) ) and as an "Overall" or "Super" mod he felt it right to apply the guidelines as he felt they should be implemented. Given his position that is his right. You or I can argue about the rightness or wrongness of his perceptions after the event but he acted as he saw fit at a time when we (Ecks and I) were not around. I am pretty sure that if we had been active at the time he would have contacted us first. We might have taken a different approach to the thread closures but we weren't here. That's one of the downsides of a large time difference in a global game and discussion board which is sometimes forgotten.

The second misconception is that Groundspeak is doing nothing. That is soooo way off the mark. They have been working tooth and nail behind the scenes to try and resolve matters in a civilised way. I want to publicly thank them here for the way they have conducted matters. It is that more than almost anything else that has kept me here.

I am sure Eckington is with me on this but as he is "tied up" in a conference for a couple of days he cannot reply personally.

I'm off for a few hours now to enjoy myself but I shall be back later on today. Please continue to post and do not boycott this board. If you do I'll have nothing and nobody to slap down B):rolleyes::lol:

Peter

Please, let us take a little time out and think carefully about what we want to acheive!

So far as I can see we are being allowed to vent our feelings.

Surely that is what we wanted to achieve!

I am still saddend/angry that threads wher closed, it is my opinion that the way it was done was wrong.

As you can see there are people working hard behind the scenes to resolve this. I have had communication in private (it will remain that way) that reasures me at this time, that this will be resolved.

I feel personal attacks and nationalistic attacks, are at this point, not required, what do we want next the delivery of white feathers.

Our freedoms, in this country have been fought for long and hard. However let us step back from the brink and take a look around.

I am not saying don't comment on this, or don't be angry, rather take some time and consider where we are now.

If you disagree with me on any point please feel free to say so. I am big enough and old enough to take a flamming.

Cheers and have a good weekends caching (If you can stand up in this wind of course).

Tony

This all started with a situation that had gotten out of hand, and attempts to cool things down weren't working. A few people just couldn't get the message, and attempted to continue the flames, and so those threads got closed as well.

OK, I hear what you're saying. If a flame war is brewing then moderators must act. It's their role.

Take a look at this thread which as far as I can gather was the first one closed by one of the foreign approvers. I've looked; I've looked again, and I'm struggling to see any flames.

There's a couple of tongue-in-cheek remarks and some expressions of disatisfaction, but there aint no flames.

This all started with a situation that had gotten out of hand, and attempts to cool things down weren't working. A few people just couldn't get the message, and attempted to continue the flames, and so those threads got closed as well.

OK, I hear what you're saying. If a flame war is brewing then moderators must act. It's their role.

Take a look at this thread which as far as I can gather was the first one closed by one of the foreign approvers. I've looked; I've looked again, and I'm struggling to see any flames.

There's a couple of tongue-in-cheek remarks and some expressions of disatisfaction, but there aint no flames.

FYI: it was closed in response to the last post in this thread. As far as I can see all of the other closed threads were closed for the same reason. Keystone Approver was doing his job. He, being a 'super mod', IS your moderator as much as any other mod.

My personal opinion, should you care, is this: a VERY bad thing has happened, one of the worst disasters in history. It is all over the news. I liked that I could come here and not be inundated with it. That, unfortunately has changed. I am not complaining about it, it's just a fact of life. Am I going to let it get under my skin? No.

I am not going to tell anyone they should leave this site or anything else like that. What I would suggest is this: take all of that bad feelings about what has happened, in Asia and on this site, and turn them into something positive to help the people affected by the disaster. That is by far the most important of the two, and is much more deserving of your time.