Favorite 60c/cs Geocache Settings

geodinks

Sortof newbie here, and just received a garmin 60cs. Been caching for a little over a year now. Was wondering if you kind folks would share your favorite geocache settings/setup of your garmin 60c/cs GPSr's. I have only had mine for a few days now, but have pored over every thred here about the 60cs. Have learned much and discovered a few setting I like myself. One of which it to change the compass from cardinal letters to degrees/numbers (accessed via the menu whilest on the compass screen). Did a search for this and thought it might belong in the other long 60c/cs threads, but wasnt sure. If it needs to be closed or moved I understand.

Thanks

Brian

WAAS on

Track up (instead of North Up)

Bearing Pointer on the Compass (instead of Course Pointer)

Declutter Off

True North Reference (instead of magnetic North)

On the Compass Page like like to have the Distance to Destination, GPS Accuracy, Waypoint at Destination, and Time of Day fields displayed.

On the Map Page I like to have GPS Accuracy and Distance to Destination fields displayed.

I don't turn on the e-compass until I get about 100 feet away.

Edited by Rubberhead

On the map page I like the track-log to be blue so that it stands out and I can see what streets I have driven on. Also, I prefer North Up because its easier for me. For ROUTING I have it set to prompt me for "guidance method" and "follow road method" - this way it will route me on the street and when I get close then I hit MENU -> RECALCULATE -> OFF ROAD and it will switch to the arrow.

Thanks for the replys guys.. I like the blue track idea and I also keep WAAS on, dosent seem to make a difference on the batteries. I dont do the map with north up as I only use the map when driving to caches or getting around town. Once at the cache I switch to off raod and mainly use the nav/compass page. I just noticed something cool lastnight. When running on batteries and following the road with the map, it will automatically turn on the back light when it prompts you for directions. Also, when wired with the optional DC power cable for the car it will automatically turn itself off when you turn off the car. Found 18 caches this weekend with mine and I must say its much easier to use than the old Mag 315 I had.

Good Hunting

Brian

Edited by brian_41

Sometimes in a cache dense area I had trouble telling the Geocache icon from Geocache Found icon. In the geocaching setup, I changed geocache found to small city. That way after marking geocaches as found it just becomes a dot on the screen and greatly reduces clutter. Now if I see a treasure chest on the screen, I know I haven't found it yet.

Brian

Sometimes in a cache dense area I had trouble telling the Geocache icon from Geocache Found icon. In the geocaching setup, I changed geocache found to small city. That way after marking geocaches as found it just becomes a dot on the screen and greatly reduces clutter. Now if I see a treasure chest on the screen, I know I haven't found it yet.

Brian

Thats a great tip. I have several locations near me that are very dense and this will be very useful.. Just wish there was a way vai ximage to change the icons to represent micro, multi, tradidtional,, but I think cache mode only supports two icons of whatever you choose for found and unfound.

Thanks again

Brian

Also, when wired with the optional DC power cable for the car it will automatically turn itself off when you turn off the car.

I don't like this setting. I changed mine so it stays on. While driving down the backroads heading to a cache, I use the cigarette lighter adapter to power the unit. When I arrive at the spot where I will start hiking, I don't my GPS powering down when I unplug the 12V cord.

Also, when wired with the optional DC power cable for the car it will automatically turn itself off when you turn off the car.

I don't like this setting. I changed mine so it stays on. While driving down the backroads heading to a cache, I use the cigarette lighter adapter to power the unit. When I arrive at the spot where I will start hiking, I don't my GPS powering down when I unplug the 12V cord.

It dosent shutoff right when you turn the car off, it prompts you to press any key in 30 seconds or it will shutdown.. all the while its displaying a 30 second count down on the screen. Bottom line... no sat loss when you switch from car DC back to batteries.

Brian

Edited by brian_41