Closing Of Topics

oooh, oooh, ooooohhhh! i really have nothing to say about this. i just wanted to get in before the (insert hyperbolic descriptive comparison here) uh, (people) lock this and demand we never speak of it again.

Actually, I am trying to get some answers. It is pitiful that you feel you have to derail the discussion. You want us to do a better job, right? How about some constructive suggestions rather than just worthless off-topic interjections. :rolleyes:

I guess you did not actually read the topic? :rolleyes:

Outburst such as this are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

actually, i don't want you to do a better job. for the most part i think things are going just fine. i think there's some scattered heavy-handedness in topic closing, and i think there's a value in satirical commentary.

it wasn't an off-topic derailment. it's actually ABOUT the topic. just because i fail to make a serious comment doesn't man i've failed to consider it seriously.

for those of you who left your irony meters at home, i now return to my usual pixie tone.

There are times when it is appropriate in any forum for a topic to be closed.

It is not so much that it is done but how it is done.

1) Give a warning or two

2) Try to bring it back on Topic

3) A suggestion here, pm to ask politely to either edit or close when things become offensive.

4) Explain that you are closing and give a valid and considered reason for doing so.

Just a few thoughts/opinions.

They are my own opinions, not a code, not a rule just my views.

Cheers

. . . you can't post a message containing a list of banned topics, because as such, it would have to be banned wouldn't it?

Exactly. The whole pinned thread would be closed to all but the moderators. A list of topics that are closed and links to threads on that topics that are closed. The only additions to the thread are added by the moderators. Everyone can see why the topic has been closed because the last message added by the moderators in the closed threads would be readily available to read. No need to rehash an old argument, because, the original is readily available on the list.

Well, if I understand the question right, perhaps when a mod closes such a topic, they could add a link to the orginally closed topic so that the potentially-offendable can get the history? This way it won't matter what page the closed thread might be on - there in the mods post is the whole thing. No searching even required...

Just a thought...?

A very good suggestion....it would make clear the reasoning of closure.

. . . you can't post a message containing a list of banned topics, because as such, it would have to be banned wouldn't it?

Exactly. The whole pinned thread would be closed to all but the moderators. A list of topics that are closed and links to threads on that topics that are closed. The only additions to the thread are added by the moderators. Everyone can see why the topic has been closed because the last message added by the moderators in the closed threads would be readily available to read. No need to rehash an old argument, because, the original is readily available on the list.

I think I did ask for such a list but the topic was fairly quicly closed.

I dislike moderated groups on principle but I recognize (reluctantly) that it is necessary to moderate certain kinds of public space. Moderating is a difficult thing to do tactfully and well and a graceful bit of moderation is a joy to behold, in the same way that a really skilled short-order cook is a pleasure to watch.