Closing Of Topics

When a topic is closed, it drops off the list. If it's closed with a comment about 'don't dicsuss again' it still drops off the list. If you come into the forums having missed a day, or sometimes even a few hours you won't see the topic and the 'don't discuss again' order.

Not seeing that you may post a topic based on the comments that slip into other threads (because the topic isn't really dead yet in spite of wishes otherwise) and suddenly everyone has to jump on the new topic, close it, and markwell the old one.

I don't know where the don't discuss again rule came from but all it really does is create more work and more angst than letting everyone get something out of their system. Most power posters and even casual posters have a one thread memory. They can slam your idea on one thread and agree with you in another.

That's because we are adults and this hobby isn't too shabby. Film at 11.

Having become an occassional forum reader instead of a regular (thanks to my job), I would be very upset if I was chastised for bringing up a discussion that was "put down" in the past without my knowledge.

It would be beneficial for other forum posters, moderators, etc. to realize that before going postal or taking punative action.

Yes. I suggest the moderators prepare a list of the subjects that they don't want people to discuss (e.g. charity caches, Buxley's maps, gc.com's mistakes and so on) and pin it to the top of the page (give it the title "Banned topics list"). Then everyone will know what they are not allowed to talk about. Just make sure the list is always up-to-date and distinguish it with some eye-catching color because people tend not to read pinned topics otherwise.

Never really thought about that but you have a really good point. I really think the mods have way to much fun playing God and locking threads they don't agree with and such. Of course they have every right to, but that doesn't always make it right. I think topics should be left open. eventually people will get it out of there systems and calm down and then it will basically close itself. Locking threads does nothing but insight more anger in people, and then they switch to terracaching. Speaking of locking up threads this one should be going down any minute now :rolleyes:

Yes. I suggest the moderators prepare a list of the subjects that they don't want people to discuss (e.g. charity caches, Buxley's maps, gc.com's mistakes and so on) and pin it to the top of the page (give it the title "Banned topics list").

Yea but won't a list like that cause the server to really slow down?

They might as well just let us download the entire database several times a day. I have to think it would put less of a load on the server.

:rolleyes:

I would be very upset if I was chastised for bringing up a discussion that was "put down" in the past without my knowledge.

Only if you think a posting of "this topic is currently banned" is being chastised

The cute and cuddly animal pictures in the final post did help that sting. :rolleyes:

About any other topic other than the tsunami caches that have been archived I would agree.

Added -- I left the one topic open knowing it would be bumped. I have now said twice in that active topic that the caches do not need to be discussed in that topic or future topics. I understand that some people come here and do not read the topics and just post. That is why I made it bigger this time and left that one topic active.

Edited by mtn-man
Only if you think a posting of "this topic is currently banned" is being chastised

A polite notification that "this topic is currently banned" is not what am considering being chastised.

I have seen many "not-so-polite" whippings in the past.

I hear ya,

but I wonder how many of those 'warning' postings were for people who didn't know they are banned topics. Probably not as many for people opening topics who did know. Just a thought.

Edit: changed 'not so polite' to 'warning' as I do not consider them impolite when it's necessary.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Most of the time we are polite and KA even adds the "cute animal picture" or something to that effect to take away the sting.

For topics other than the tsunami I can understand your point, as I have said.

It has already been noted that pinned topics are often skipped by people, so that doesn't work (the SBUX topic getting pinned and the FAQ topic are perfect examples of this).

Can someone propose a solution?

When a topic is closed, it drops off the list.  If it's closed with a comment about 'don't dicsuss again' it still drops off the list.  If you come into the forums having missed a day, or sometimes even a few hours you won't see the topic and the 'don't discuss again' order.

Not seeing that you may post a topic based on the comments that slip into other threads (because the topic isn't really dead yet in spite of wishes otherwise) and suddenly everyone has to jump on the new topic, close it, and markwell the old one.

I don't know where the don't discuss again rule came from but all it really does is create more work and more angst than letting everyone get something out of their system.  Most power posters and even casual posters have a one thread memory.  They can slam your idea on one thread and agree with you in another.

That's because we are adults and this hobby isn't too shabby.  Film at 11.

You're off topic! :rolleyes::P:unsure:

I guess the only thing I would say is to rethink the whole notion of closing topics to begin with. At least by mods.

What does it really matter if someone or some people has beaten a topic to death many times over? Or if the discussion has gone off topic, the topic starter can always close it if they want.

I just think that people will grow tired of topics and it will die a natural death. If someone does not want to read a thread because they know it really is of no use, then they have that option.

I guess I just never really understood the need for closing a topic. The recent problems with the topic of the tsunami and caches based on doing something to help is one example. Sure people were told over and over again what the policy was/is and that nothing was going to change. The threads got closed one after another as a person tried to go about the question another way. I guess I just have to ask what does it matter? If people want to be seen as beating a dead horse, what do you care? If people want to see who is beating a dead horse, what do you care? As long as nobody is making me post to or read those threads, I don't care.

Of course I am assuming the thread is following other guidelines like language, not attacking another person, at least somehow connected to geocaching, etc.

It has already been noted that pinned topics are often skipped by people, so that doesn't work (the SBUX topic getting pinned and the FAQ topic are perfect examples of this).

Since people don't always read the pinned topics, maybe they should just be put at the top of the topic list, not in their own separate box, but the same one as all other topics. Newly pinned topics (topics pinned within the past 7 days) should be denoted as such (bold, red, underlined, etc.)

Just my $0.02 USD

Happy Caching

Jeff

Well, there goes another one of mine, closed down. It was a new subject, too, not the same old dead-horse issues that continually come up. I thought it was interesting to hear about how the KGB may have buried caches of explosives or even nukes here in the U.S., and what happens? Shut down and moved to an area I can't even access, because it was about "caching, but not GEO-caching".

You know what? Give me a %^$#@*$ break here!

Well, there goes another one of mine, closed down. It was a new subject, too, not the same old dead-horse issues that continually come up. I thought it was interesting to hear about how the KGB may have buried caches of explosives or even nukes here in the U.S., and what happens? Shut down and moved to an area I can't even access, because it was about "caching, but not GEO-caching".

It was an interesting topic, but I honestly didn't see it to be about caching, as in geocaching. It would have been perfect for the OT forum.

Well, I see that unless you pay the almighty dollar to be able to access the OT forum, you can't talk about a %^$# thing in here, without getting shut down right away, unless, of course, you talk about the

SAME OLD TOPICS THAT HAVE BEEN TALKED TO DEATH ALREADY! WELL, MODS, EXCUSE ME FOR TRYING TO INTRODUCE SOMETHING NEW IN HERE!

Edited by TEAM 360

It has always been the rule here to stick to geocaching topics. Yours was interesting, I agree, but it wasn't geocaching. Discuss it on some regional forums maybe? As for paying to use the OT forum, that is OK with me. I think it is worth the money. Quite a bit of fun in there! B)

It was an interesting topic, but I honestly didn't see it to be about caching, as in geocaching. It would have been perfect for the OT forum.

I agree. Interesting, but not geocaching.

Sorry 360. There are forums where you can discuss nuclear weapons and explosives. If you choose not to pay to access premium member bonus areas then that is OK. Don't scream at us if you don't want to pay for the bonus sections of the site though. I think it with worth $3.00 a month too. I spent twice that much on lunch today!

I saw the header and for that topic and started to take a look at it and then I got off to something else. One thing that continually amazes is the fact these are Geocaching forums and people get upset when the moderators try to apply guidelines established by the web site. First everyone complained they didn't have off topic forums now they have them and people continue to complain because they can't post off topic items here in the general forums. Sorry folks this is a web site about geocaching. Maybe if we stuck to geocaching related topics there might be a little less angst here in the forums.

Okay, gee whiz...let's talk about something new and exciting, then...I know, how about "Which GPS should I get?"...or..."How many caches are around your house?"...or..."Post a picture of your Jeep, or dog"...

Take your foot off my neck now.

Same old topics. Have fun. Really.

There can be a certain point where you don't really have anything else to say about geocaching. So don't. Making farting noises with your armpits isn't the only alternative (and in fact, can be quite rewarding in the Off Topic forum. Not that I'm in to that kind of thing).

DENNIS:

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

ARTHUR:

Shut up!

DENNIS:

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

ARTHUR:

Bloody peasant!

DENNIS:

Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

Well, I see that unless you pay the almighty dollar to be able to access the OT forum, you can't talk about a %^$# thing in here, without getting shut down right away, unless, of course, you talk about the

SAME OLD TOPICS THAT HAVE BEEN TALKED TO DEATH ALREADY! WELL, MODS, EXCUSE ME FOR TRYING TO INTRODUCE SOMETHING NEW IN HERE!

edited because I forgot to add smilies in my rude comments to someone I usually call a friend. Sorry about that Jeff, I guess the angst of the last couple of days in the forums got to me.

oh, also edited to add armpit farting noises, but I couldn't figure out how to add the .wav file to my post

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Same people complaining about it too. Having fun? Really?

You seem to keep coming back for more, though!

You don't seem to want to go away.

This all must be -- dare I say it --

Interesting!

Why else would you keep coming back? B)

Let's please get back on topic.

Can someone please suggest a solution for the original poster's dilemma?

Well, if I understand the question right, perhaps when a mod closes such a topic, they could add a link to the orginally closed topic so that the potentially-offendable can get the history? This way it won't matter what page the closed thread might be on - there in the mods post is the whole thing. No searching even required...

Just a thought...?

Can someone please suggest a solution for the original poster's dilemma?

I re-read the OP and there doesn't seem to be a question in there but a general editiorial. So I suppose I'll add my own editorial and get back to work.

I think dredged up topics that don't have the same bobbleheads posting their same opinion over and over again would allow some fresh perspectives. There are other topics that should be locked after the final response was given.

There are some threads that need airing out but it is pretty subjective and varies from moderator to moderator. Some have a gentle hand and others have a harder one. Sometimes there is a backlash and sometimes there isn't. But if you were asked not to rehash a thread and you continue to do so, your hand should be slapped.

I'm sure I missed something. Back to work for me.

I believe(?) RK was referring to people unaware of an existing (closed) thread.

Now people doing it INTENTIONALLY, well that's a different matter altogether.

I was referring to the same bobbleheads the continue where they left off, with full knowledge of the original closed topic. In a perfect world they should shut up and let some other people discuss the topic. In that way it is still an original discussion and at least other folks can give their own perspective. However, mods should have the right to shut down unnecessarily rehashed topics, point people to the original post, and shut the new one down.

I saw the header and for that topic and started to take a look at it and then I got off to something else. One thing that continually amazes is the fact these are Geocaching forums and people get upset when the moderators try to apply guidelines established by the web site. First everyone complained they didn't have off topic forums now they have them and people continue to complain because they can't post off topic items here in the general forums. Sorry folks this is a web site about geocaching. Maybe if we stuck to geocaching related topics there might be a little less angst here in the forums.

The problem with that comes when people like me and some of the others that have spoken in this topic want to discuss something that is related but not entirely geocaching.

Yeah, lets close threads and move them to the OT forum so that the people that started them can never reply or even read the responses because we're not paying members. Personally, caches being buried by the government is interesting and somewhat relevent. I would have liked to read that.

Of course, now that the OT forum exists, look how many people post the pic of that icon because they know it's coming if you step out of line. What is this? Japanese customs? Are you going to scream at us while holding your loaded gun if we step too close to the yellow line and the rope?

Of course, now that the OT forum exists, look how many people post the pic of that icon because they know it's coming if you step out of line. What is this? Japanese customs? Are you going to scream at us while holding your loaded gun if we step too close to the yellow line and the rope?

Huh? We don't allow guns in caches, do we?

oooh, oooh, ooooohhhh! i really have nothing to say about this. i just wanted to get in before the (insert hyperbolic descriptive comparison here) uh, (people) lock this and demand we never speak of it again.

Actually, I am trying to get some answers. It is pitiful that you feel you have to derail the discussion. You want us to do a better job, right? How about some constructive suggestions rather than just worthless off-topic interjections. :rolleyes:

I guess you did not actually read the topic? ;)

Outburst such as this are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I have been to boards at a different site that have an interesting system of moderation. There are areas, topics, with different levels of moderation. Some are moderated like the forums here. Others are "lightly moderated" for when people are having a war (such as the one that has been occurring here) - this forum has an "enter at your own risk" warning. When people start getting into a hot debate they are told to take it to this area. Then there is the heavily moderated section, where moderators must approve all posts before they appear, this is for topics that come up repeatedly people just feel passionately about them.

Granted, this board has far fewer users, and I can imagine that it would be a pain for moderators. But it does seem to be a good system. I kind of like knowing what to expect from each area and it makes things more clear about what should/can be discussed and where.

That said, good luck all!

Has there ever been a list of banned topics compiled?

I notice pinned threads, however, I don't read them much because I'm not interested in them much (but that is because of the limited topic, not because of being pinned). With the exception of a couple of very long lived threads, most of them get old within a few days. No wonder pinned threads get ignored. Unless the pinned thread are pictures of cool cache containers or free avitar help, we loose interest.

I think a pinned thread of banned topics with links to the banned threads might be interesting enough to entice people to read it. It would be interesting as well as educational to see what has been controvercial or inappropriate in the past. It would also allow us to see just how beaten the dead horse is, and thus further support the idea of banning some topics.

Lastly, non-regulars probably haven't become numb to the pinned threads. If the goal of this list is to help out the non-regulars, maybe pinning a thread that is maintained only by the moderators would meet this need.

Ah but logically, you can't post a message containing a list of banned topics, because as such, it would have to be banned wouldn't it?

If it was allowed to stand with banned subjects in it, then ipso facto, they wouldn't be banned would they!

:rolleyes: