Frs Useage

Since I'm a newbie, I spend a bunch of time reading the FAQ and researching the Forums. I've noticed that FRS channel 2 and 12 have been agreed to as the primary and backup channels for Geocaching. My question is, how many of you folks actually use an FRS radio while you're out caching? If you have it with you, do you keep it turned on and monitor Channel 2?

I've only used a FRS a few times. The first was when 4 of us got together for a difficult multi that had 'dead end' stages. The team would split and head off to each destination and when someone found the real stage, we'd use the FRS to report that fact and we'd gather to hit the next stage.

Another time they came in handy was on a large group hunt (22 people) where we used the FRSs to keep in touch with late comers to let them know where we were. Also, since the terrain was pretty difficult and the hike strenuous, the faster hikers used the radios to keep in touch with the slower hikers.

Other than situations like those I personally don't see many other uses for a FRS while geocaching. I'm guessing that a small percentage of geocachers always carry one while out, so the chances of running into another geocacher who happens to have the radio on and is hunting in the area are pretty slim.

Edited by briansnat

My first and only GPS GARMIN Rino 110. The only thing I have heard on FRS is some guy talking on his cell phone to his girl friend. I guess it dosen't help that I don't know any other Cachers and have to cache alone. I need to change my name to Lone Wolf Cacher. :rolleyes:

On my Christmas list was a pair of FRS/GMRS radios. Got em..

Audiovox GMRS 6000

My caching partner does not like carrying much stuff.. me.. I would carry the 10 essentials for a 1/4 mile hike. I started caching alone.. that lasted for the first one only. Then Dorothy and I paired up and we enjoy the company.

Safety.. if either of us got hurt on one of those longer hikes. Generally without anyone around. I would not carry her out nor would she carry me out. At least now we can stay in some contact. Overkill some would say... Practical others would say.

When milder weather returns I plan a few caches that will be overnight and probably go it alone. Will still take one of the radios. With information left behind in case I do not come back on time. At least it is another level of security.. false or otherwise.

The other day.. cold brisk with frozen ground. Dorothy's gps pointed one direction and mine in another for the same cache heheh.. probably another topic.. but I handed her one of the radio's as we took off in different directions. Out of sight for awhile.. but not out of contact.

For us, it never fails. If we bring the the radios we don't need them and when we leave them at home we could use them. Normally it happens when there is a section of trail that my wife doesn't want to try and navigate so I go on alone for aways.

I always forget about the Channel Two thing, so I can't say whether I would have ever heard another Geocacher on the air, but from now on I will make more of an effort to bring the radios on each outing and keep it on Channel Two just in case.

My first and only GPS GARMIN Rino 110. The only thing I have heard on FRS is some guy talking on his cell phone to his girl friend. I guess it dosen't help that I don't know any other Cachers and have to cache alone. I need to change my name to Lone Wolf Cacher. B)

Hey, come on out to Oklahoma, the whole family uses Rino's. Helps with the whole family on the same channel.

I have a pair of Motorola's that are always in my geopack, but have rarely heard any geocachers. I was late for a group cache on Halloween and used it to contact on Chnl 2 and it worked great. Another use was the day after Thanksgiving when I was locked behind a logging gate. I had no cell phone and used my FRS to cordinate my eventual escape. 5 hrs later I finally got out, but the FRS came in handy and with the elevation where I was made it out about 15 miles. Generally the distance is less than 1 mile depending on terrain. For group caching or if you have kids they are excellent and a must have.

Yes we use them and LOVE them. Our highest usage time is during event in the Osceola National Forest. Most of our caching friends carry them and it really help with late comers and if someone fall behind.

They are also handy doing urban caches where parking is limited, the wife can drop me off and I can radio her to pick me up after I have found it, or vise versa. We have the Motorola 5700's they are rechargeable. The kids have 5200's they run on AA's, and as cachers, we have lots of them.

We use ours for when the team needs to split up. Being a canine caching team, we generally have two of us and the dog. Occasionally, we'll find ourselves at the bottom of a steep hill that a dog could not safely navigate. I usually do the bushwacking, while my dad keeps the dog, and tries to find another route down. They've come in quite handy during situations like that.

When we do cache with a group, it is with some friends who are also HAM radio operatiors, so we just use those. The range and clarity is greater than FRS. You might want to, as others have said, check out the HAM forum on here. If you are interested in getting a license, the basic license is not hard at all and there are plenty of links given in the HAM forum that will help you.

I'm a Ham, K7CAR, but found the FRS radios so much more practicle for the average person. Yes, Ham radio is a much better way to go with superior coverage, but when I was stuck behind a logging gate I used my FRS radio and had no problem getting dozens of people coming back willing to help me. The FRS radio is a huge improvement over the old CB band and will have dozens of local people monitoring if near any large town. Ham is far superior, but for local coverage and price it can't be beat.

We got a pair as a gift this past Christmas, and though the novelty may wear off before too long, we've found it incredibly helpful for searches in heavily populated areas. With one watcher on the trail and the other hunting in the woods, it seems to be a more efficient operation.

The only unfortunate side effect we've seen so far was when, while a pair of muggles walked by and I casually pretended to tweak my bicycle, my pocket happily and boisterously proclaimed "I FOUND IT!! I FOUND THE CACHE!! WOOO!!!".

They looked at me a bit funny.

They didn't ask.

I like taking them to events too. When everyone breaks up from the meeting and heads out to do nearby caches it is fun to hear the banter that goes back and forth. "You haven't found that cache yet?" ;);)

FRS are great for events! Especially if there are newbies there, you can help them with a tougher cache if they get stuck or keep in contact with them on the trails. We also use them in group hunts to keep from having to yell around

Good topic!

You should be able to hear a cell phone on an FRS or GMRS radio, they do operate in the same radio spectrum and most cell phone if not all are digital now and FRS/GMRS radios are analog.

Typo...You should not be able to hear a cell phone on and FRS/GMRS

You must have heard something else

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I think most of us got into Geocaching because at heart we're gadget freaks and a GPSr is another cool gadget. FRS quite clearly falls into that catagory of cool gadgets. I add mine to my ever-expanding Bat Utility Belt, which includes a Palm Tungsten, FRS, Cell Phone, and portable microwave for trail popcorn. (just kidding on that last one.)

I've got a couple of FRS units that my wife and I use when out skiing to keep track of each other and occasionally while caching. I was curious though if there is an "official" etiquette for FRS usage. I use radios at work frequently to communicate with other staff and use the 10xx codes, radio call sign numbers, etc. Is similar usage appropriate when using FRS?

-FlatLander