Problems with my Vista when I get close

C&CHunting

I am new to Geo Caching. My fiance and her dog like to hike and a friend turned us on to Geo Caching. I have a Garmin Vista and I'm trying to get the hang of navigating to a spot. It's harder than I thought.

When I get with in 100 feet, the GPS starts sending me back and forth and all over the place. I think this is because I am getting close to being within the error of the GPS. Is there a setting that I can adjust to compensate or is there a technique that helps. I'm getting tired of criss-crossing the woods like an idiot.

I asked some questions about this in the GPS Units & Software forum and here's a summary of what was said:

1) Make sure the "Battery Saver mode" is OFF.

2) make sure the electronic compass is ON. Also make sure its kicking in at an appropriate speed.

3) Make sure your "battery type" is correct (i.e. if you're using Energizers make sure "alkaline" is selcted)

4) Make sure the compass is calibrated.

5) Though under heavy tree cover it won't matter much, make sure your WAAS is enabled.

All these things will serve to minimize your battery life, but hey, you want to find the cache without looking like an idiot, right?

You can read about the specifics here: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=6530976235

I'm not sure any of this will help completely though. Its hard to navigate to a very specific spot because there's always EPE to worry about. My typical EPE is 20-30 feet and fluctuates often. And if there's a lot of tree cover where you're navigating expect the EPE to be fairly high.

But if the GPS let you to the exact spot the first time everytime, what fun would geocaching really be?

In a sense, I've found that's it's pretty simple: the closer you get, the less attention you can pay to the arrow. Start looking at the distance instead. We did a cache this past weekend, and once we were within a couple of a hundred feet, the arrow was actually pointing in the wrong direction... but the distance was still declining. We followed that right to the cache.

Once you gain experience, you'll begin to see the hunt in a different way. You'll be able to look around an area and sense where a cache might be hidden... and where you won't find it.

It'll get easier, but it takes a while. You'll be in the groove soon enough...

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

It's actually pretty reliable.

I just make sure that when I power it up in the parking lot or what have you, it gets the best reception possible. Usually within 15-30 ft.

Then, when we get within that margin of error, we use... THE FORCE!

I'll walk the distance down to as close to zero as I can and then accept that it should be within (insert margin of error here) ft.

Cachers tend to favor things like log piles and tree hollows so the usual suspects in the immediate area are usually investigated first.

Remember, it's the hunt! ;P

Geocacher posted September 10, 2002 10:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have a Vista.

I just make sure that when I power it up in the parking lot or what have you, it gets the best reception possible. Usually within 15-30 ft.

I'll walk the distance down to as close to zero as I can and then accept that it should be within (insert margin of error here) ft.

Cachers tend to favor things like log piles and tree hollows so the usual suspects in the immediate area are usually investigated first.

In my area we look for URP's (unnatural rock piles). After a while you get so that you can sense them as well as those log piles. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too have a Vista.

In my area we look for URP's (unnatural rock piles). After a while you get so that you can sense them as well as those log piles. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

The battery type selector won't help you navigating, only predicting remaining battery life.

In dense cover, I would say turn WAAS off. It consumes a lot of CPU cycles trying to sort that signal out, when it's really weak. The unit will be more responsive when it doesn't have to bother about that.

When you are close enough to have the unit start spinning the arrow, try any of these ideas:

1) Use pattern matching. Check the last digits of the cache coordinates. Then check your position. So far there is no way to see the coordinates of you destination and your position at the same time (Garmin, hallo!), so you have to remember the destination coords. But you can configure the compass screen to show your position, assuming you select big font.

Now walk in the N/S direction, until your numbers match. Then do the same in the E/W direction. When you are finished, continue with method #2.

2) Let it stay put. Make sure you have it lying flat, so that the "Hold level" messages doesn't show up. Place it somewhere where you have decent reception, if possible. Return to it now and then, to see what it says about distance and direction. If changes far less than it does when you carry it around the place all the time. Meanwhile, look at likely places in the general direction it tells you. But also look elsewhere, if there is a place that seems likely, or which matches the hint, if you've read any.

Of course, method #2 works with these units with a magnetic compass only. But all units can use method #1. Don't forget using your imagination as a support to all methods!

Anders

Another thing is that one tends to slow down as they approach the cache. The directional arrow doesn't work as well when you are not moving quickly. Try picking up your pace and you will see an improvement.

Another thing I do is switch to the map page when I get close. That gives you a good idea as to where the cach is in relation to your position.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Once my Vista counts down the distance to within 10-15 ft I turn it off, drop my pack on the ground and put the Vista on top of my pack. Then I start looking around in all directions from the Vista. I usually find the cache pretty quickly within about 30-40 feet from my pack. Of course, sometimes it takes a little longer because I find that I've dropped my pack directly on the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Once my Vista counts down the distance to within 10-15 ft I turn it off, drop my pack on the ground and put the Vista on top of my pack. Then I start looking around in all directions from the Vista. I usually find the cache pretty quickly within about 30-40 feet from my pack. Of course, sometimes it takes a little longer because I find that I've dropped my pack directly on the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

unclerojelio

Thanks for the suggestions. My fiance actually suggested walking N-S and E-W to line up the coordinates. If that doesn't make me look like a drunken idiot, I don't know what does. However; it works.

I don't know the best settings on the SETTINGS/HEADING page. It allows me to adjust the:

auto compass switch; use GPS heading when exceeding___________?

and the setting below:

Use compass heading when below 12 for more than________?

What should I have set?

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

My first seven finds were URPs. When I found the eighth (a Tupperware container nestled in in the roots of a tree), I was *so* thrilled that I vowed never to inflict a URP on other cachers.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

My first seven finds were URPs. When I found the eighth (a Tupperware container nestled in in the roots of a tree), I was *so* thrilled that I vowed never to inflict a URP on other cachers.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

One other thing it's worth remembering: regardless of what accuracy YOU may have on your unit, you have no idea how good a lock the cache placer had. It's great to have a 14ft lock and figure you must be on top of the cache... but if the original coords were recorded with a 75ft accuracy, you'll need to widen you search area...

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I am the owner of the cache which C&CHunting was trying to find when the "dancing arrow" resulted in a not-found posting. The cache is Elves in the Forest.

If you read the prior logs, you'll see that experienced cachers have had no problems at all finding the cache, while some of the newer cachers have encountered difficulties. I think the reason for this is TREE COVER. You may have 15 foot accuracy out in the field before heading into the woods, and anywhere from 25 to 65 foot accuracy after getting under the cover.

I, too, used to stop dead in my tracks in the last 100 feet and get confused by the dancing arrow. Follow the advice given earlier in this thread for proper technique. In addition, I often hold my GPSr above my head when reception is poor (even your body interferes with the line of sight to the satellites). Also, it helps to get a good fix when in a relatively clear area before plunging into a thicket or down into a ravine. There are a couple of clearings along the hike in to this cache where you can get a good reading.

When I placed this cache, I took multiple readings on three separate days and at different times of the day, some with averaging and some without, some with WAAS enabled and some disabled. I then averaged everything together, then tried to find the cache at those coordinates and it was dead-on. BUT... not every hider does this!

If you keep walking on the trail as you approach the cache, and DON'T STOP MOVING, you should be able to get your pointer to point right at the hiding spot.

Most importantly, I WANT YOU TO FIND MY CACHE!!! And for you to have fun in the process. If trying again with all the technique tips doesn't help, please e-mail me for bonus hints.

Here is a hint to get you started: Even though you are deep in the woods, think URP!!!! Decode the encrypted hint if you need to. GOOD LUCK

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

I was *so* thrilled that I vowed never to inflict a URP on other cachers.

URPs aren't always bad. Sometimes, after you've made the cacher work hard just getting to the cache area, you want to make it easier to spot the cache. It's kind of an inside thing from one geocacher to another. icon_smile.gif

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

I was *so* thrilled that I vowed never to inflict a URP on other cachers.

URPs aren't always bad. Sometimes, after you've made the cacher work hard just getting to the cache area, you want to make it easier to spot the cache. It's kind of an inside thing from one geocacher to another. icon_smile.gif

unclerojelio