Photo Ettiquite

TallJinx & TinaLou
Followers 0

Use some common sense. If it listed as an unkown/unspecified container NO, if it's an ammo box (not cammo'd) why not, we all know what they look like (or any other common box). DON'T show the hide site, but a picture of the kids (or others) gathered around the container trading/signing I think is fine. Any time seeing the container would 'spoil' or 'give away' the hunt, then don't.

:rolleyes: We've found a few caches and like adding our pics to our logs. Is it okay to include the container in the picture with us? Spoiler?? Bad Manners?? Just let us know and we'll stop if it's considered improper.

TallJinx & TinaLou

In most cases I don't see an issue with showing the container unless its some uniquely camoflaged container, where the camo is part of the challenge.

I've occasionally posted photos of cache containers with my logs, but I always check to make sure that the cache page gives away the container first.

That is, if the cache page says, "Cache container is an ammo box painted yellow" then I have no issues uploading a picture of said container.

However, if the cache page doesn't mention the cache container, then I will not upload a picture of the container.

As BS pointed out, it's only in rare instances that a picture of the cache container would make a spoiler, but yet I don't see the need to give out any more information than the hider did in the first place.

Jamie

That is, if the cache page says, "Cache container is an ammo box painted yellow" then I have no issues uploading a picture of said container.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb. Something I may use in the future. Currently I will only refrain from photographing specially camoed containers.

Use some common sense. If it listed as an unkown/unspecified container NO, if it's an ammo box (not cammo'd) why not, we all know what they look like (or any other common box). DON'T show the hide site, but a picture of the kids (or others) gathered around the container trading/signing I think is fine. Any time seeing the container would 'spoil' or 'give away' the hunt, then don't.

Ditto!

The rule I use is, if the description pretty much spells out what the container is (i.e. 50 caliber ammo can, tupperware with such and such dimensions), then it's probably OK to post a picture. If I get to the site and find there's some special cammo job done, then I refrain. I have a few pictures of containers in my gallery, and I've yet to hear of anyone complaining about it. I'd delete them if they did.

For my part, I usually tell people when it's OK/not OK to take pictures of the container for the caches I own. I find that most people are fairly conservative when it comes to this issue.