Searching Archived Caches

Team Tigger International

Just little topic extension here... please bear with for a second...

I guess what I worry about happening is.... a cache gets permanantly archived for whatever reason. A few folks can't find it, so the owner archives it, takes up underwater basketweaving, and slips out of the picture. :( The cache still exists. It goes off the radar screen and a year later some new person says "hey, this will be a great place for a cache!" :( and places one there. Coords are off by .001 of the old cache. When folks come to find it, half of them find the new one, half find the old one. The old one has a soggy log book, and the new owner get a report and goes out and finds his log book dry as a bone. <_< 2 weeks later, another soggy log book report. That could be frustrating! ;)

Just little topic extension here...  please bear with for a second...

I guess what I worry about happening is.... a cache gets permanantly archived for whatever reason.  A few folks can't find it, so the owner archives it, takes up underwater basketweaving, and slips out of the picture.  :( The cache still exists.  It goes off the radar screen and a year later some new person says "hey, this will be a great place for a cache!"  <_< and places one there. Coords are off by .001 of the old cache.  When folks come to find it, half of them find the new one, half find the old one.  The old one has a soggy log book, and the new owner get a report and goes out and finds his log book dry as a bone. ;)  2 weeks later, another soggy log book report. That could be frustrating!  :(

Actually, I've come close to doing that.

Check out the coordinates where this cache I hid is, and then look at the coordinates where this other cache used to be. I had no idea there had been another cache literally a couple feet away. In this case the old cache was clearly gone, but it could have been confusing indeed had remnants of the original cache still been there.

Ok, the map it idea worked pretty good. I was curious about the cycle of caches being placed in one park around here. As a bonus, I refound the listing for the first cache we ever attempted to find. Funny thing was, I noticed that the owner placed a micro in a 'gentleman's club', but it was archived for it's location, so a month later he resubmitted it with a different description and got it approved.

Thanks all.

Wulf

If you want to see archived caches just use the Map It feature. Check the List Archived/Disabled Caches box and you can see all past and present caches in the area. It may not be as convenient as PQ but at least you won't have the problem Moose Mob suggested.

Actually, it shows only the ones you found or own, and shows them as a simple box with a checkmark, without a traditional, multi, puzzle etc. symbol. Moreover, it does this even without the 'show archived' box clicked.

However, if you then click that box, and then click 'identify', the old caches will suddenly show up in a list under the map. I think this is a bug, and that it never was meant to be that way.

Just little topic extension here... please bear with for a second...

I guess what I worry about happening is.... a cache gets permanantly archived for whatever reason. A few folks can't find it, so the owner archives it, takes up underwater basketweaving, and slips out of the picture. :rolleyes: The cache still exists. It goes off the radar screen and a year later some new person says "hey, this will be a great place for a cache!" :ph34r: and places one there. Coords are off by .001 of the old cache. When folks come to find it, half of them find the new one, half find the old one. The old one has a soggy log book, and the new owner get a report and goes out and finds his log book dry as a bone. :) 2 weeks later, another soggy log book report. That could be frustrating! :D

Like This?

Just little topic extension here...  please bear with for a second...

I guess what I worry about happening is.... a cache gets permanantly archived for whatever reason.  A few folks can't find it, so the owner archives it, takes up underwater basketweaving, and slips out of the picture.  :rolleyes: The cache still exists.  It goes off the radar screen and a year later some new person says "hey, this will be a great place for a cache!"  :ph34r: and places one there. Coords are off by .001 of the old cache.  When folks come to find it, half of them find the new one, half find the old one.  The old one has a soggy log book, and the new owner get a report and goes out and finds his log book dry as a bone. :)  2 weeks later, another soggy log book report. That could be frustrating!  :D

Like This?

If you check the nearest caches, you'll see that the original listing was unarchived.

I think that Archived caches should be added to the PQ search. I have over 8000 entries in my GSAK database and I know that lots of archived caches are showing up as active. I can only update GSAK if I happed to notice an archived cache on the GC page and download the individual .gpx file and import it into GSAK.

Having a PQ to do this would be much more convenient.

I think that Archived caches should be added to the PQ search. I have over 8000 entries in my GSAK database and I know that lots of archived caches are showing up as active. I can only update GSAK if I happed to notice an archived cache on the GC page and download the individual .gpx file and import it into GSAK.

Having a PQ to do this would be much more convenient.

Why do you need 8000 caches in a database?