Muggle Calls Me To Admit To Stealing 3 Caches!

mayprod

If you are serious about confronting her, I'd suggest actually going to the law firm and asking to speak to somebody in person. If a previous poster is correct, she's not a partner - possibly she is the person who answered the phone.

I'd think the fact that you showed up there and mentioned theft and the authorities, in front of her bosses, would scare the hell out of her. I doubt anybody would admit they did it at that point - of course you could mention whereit is and that the person lives there and that'd narrow it down.

I wouldn't be rude about it. I'd be honest and to the point.

Of course, that could be to confrontational (and perhaps it isn't the best and most realistic idea). Perhaps a well thought out letter addressed to several of the partners explaining what happend and that you called and recieved no help from the secretary... That might get you somewhere. Perhaps call the secretary and say "Please help me, or I will make sure I mention the lack of help from you when I send letters to the partners".

Personally, I think it's stealing - but realistically you'd have a hard time proving it in court or anything. It wouldn't be worth it monetarily, but I see your point about the principle of the matter.

Oh well - at the very least make it a "MOC". Don't give up. If the preserve has no rules against geocaching - the general public has no right being the "cache police".

southdeltan

Call the office and ask to speak to the managing partner or make an appointment in their office. Tell them that someone from the office called your home from their office and admitted to taking something from you. The fact that the call was made from work should catch their attention.

Explain that what you want is for the person to stop taking your stuff and harassing you at home (again, by calling from their office). You would like to speak to the mean lady and invite her to an event where you and some of your friends plan to be. You can show her that we're not such a bad sort.

If that fails, TP her house.

OK, I really laughed.... but what about this? Is it stealing to take something you found on public land. Yes, I had my email address on it. She was obviously "watching" the cache log and removing them as soon as I put a new one out.

Is it stealing (nevermind what I THINK). Legally, is it stealing?

OK, I really laughed.... but what about this? Is it stealing to take something you found on public land. Yes, I had my email address on it. She was obviously "watching" the cache log and removing them as soon as I put a new one out.

Is it stealing (nevermind what I THINK). Legally, is it stealing?

I personally don't think you would have much of a case. I don't have any perfect legal reasoning behind this but I can't really see a prosecutor going after this one. It does suck. I would try to turn the game around on her somehow. Just make her look stupid or something. Keep it legal on your end as well.

She has intent to steal. She knows it belongs to you and she took it from a location in which you placed it and you had the intent to keep it there. Yes, it is stealing.

If you want to pursue it, then think small claims (civil) not criminal.

In fact, have your friends put caches there, have her steal them, then file all kinds of complaints in small claims court take up tons of her time.

I still like the crack idea. <_<

Yes, I think it is stealing. BUT having said that, I have dealt with lawyers in the past two years constantly splitting hairs about details just like this. And IF I wrote a letter or spoke to the partners, I'd want to know what I'm talking about. Sometimes it seems so clear... people's intent, motivations, right and wrong. But then you start talking about LAW. What's ethical and what's law are two different things. Right? Anyway, it's just three small caches. I go back and forth.

ok i'll admit i've not read the whole thread but here's what i would do in all seriousness:

1, contact her bosses by letter explaining what has happened. explain fully the hobby and that the caches were placed legally with permission and that she has taken it upon herself to steal them. then that she has used work time and phome etc to contact you and what? threaten you into not placing another, gloat about her actions......

2, contact the local newspapers, radio stations and explain to thme the whole situation. they might run the story either as a serious abuse of position story or as a funny side line. either way the firm gets some bad publicity.

the only difficulty is to make sure the hobby comes out looking good not as a bunch of idiots ruining the countryside. heavily play the cito side and that permission always given to cache.

Even though I suggested some nasty tricks..... the best thing is probably to take the high-road. Place one last cache full of letters, comments and information on geocaching and how the public parks belong to the public. Then, if she takes it, at least you know she has the information.

Then, place a cache elsewhere with photos of the old location encoraging people to visit the area.

now.... if you *did* want to get revenge, you *could* always visit your local magazine retailer, get some subscription coupons for very objectionable material and sign her up!

Just watch her try her next airline flight as a known subscriber to "Anarchist Naked Teen Gun Club Magazine"! -- better yet -- send it to her office.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

STAGE A CITO AT THE PRESERVE!!!!

Let's get a few people to decend to the Preserve and CITO. Let's make it very public: call the Media, get the Bright Yellow Official CITO Bags, make our GPSr's obvious, wear GeoCaching Gear... heck, call Parks and Recreation (they run the show at the Preserve, they're cool) and tell them that we want to stage a Cleanup in the Preserve... not so they give us permission but so we get appreciation from the City.

And this woman who is causing all of this trouble? She'll have to sit in her house and be quiet and do nothing... or she can call the Police and tell them that there are a lot of trespassers on the Preserve... we'll see how THAT goes.

I think this guy has the best idea. It is public, it is friendly, and it puts the best side of geocahers forward. No need to stoop to this lady's level. If I lived in Phoenix, I would help organize this event. Individuals have no right ot dictate how others use public land. If she has a problem with how people use public land she should raise the issue through the poper public forum. That's why we live in democracy. There is no way really to change this woman, or make her stop. But a public CITO event, that shows geocahers in the best light, will at least make her seem like a looney to others.

You posted their name and phone on the cache page -

[edited by moderator. read the TOU]

get the phone number and all incensed cachers can start a phone campagn on the law office - tell the attendant the you want to talk to the geo-thief.

maybe when the phone calls disrupt their business they will take action since she made a disrupting personal call from her job.

at the very least she should return the caches to you.

on the fun side - set up a couple multiples that have people trecking back and forth across the back of her place several times (several caches?) and across her special path too.

*69 is not a lot of help - will not tell you the phone # - only call it.  Been there done that.

Ummmmmm..... Someone explain to me how any of this makes us look good?

Frankly, when I place a cache, I EXPECT the worst and hope for the best. If I couldn't afford to lose it, I would never place it in the first place.

Jacking with someone as a group, no matter what they did wrong, is a BAD idea. It makes us look like vindictive thugs. Kobiyashi Maru = A no win situation.

Now, she is obviously self satisfied with her behavior, or she would never have called you. That is basic criminal behavior, or and attempt to bait you into a hidden agenda against geocaching.

If you wish to continue hiding caches in that area, I'd go with the Member's Only idea, or appeal to the park director. THEN, and only if the Park Director is on your side, will she be truly indefensible in her behavior.

Edited by CO Admin

I like the CITO idea.... I'm new so I've never been involved in one. I sent an email to each of the people who had found Petrified! or been foiled by "Mean Muggle Wacko Woman" to look at the web page. Only one of the geocachers I actually know. Some have emailed me and seem like terrific people. It would be nice to meet the local cachers, I haven't been to an Arizona meeting yet.

Go to your county assessor or auditor's web site and get the names of the owners of the potential offender.

Have people call the firm asking to speak to each so and so.

When you find which one it is you put a lean on her property for the value of the lost caches.

She won't even know until she tries to sell her home and finds she can't.

You could also make a puzzle cache out of it by making people go to the web site and find out how much she paid for the place or how much she pays in property tax.

Happy caching

Go to your county assessor or auditor's web site and get the names of the owners of the potential offender.

Have people call the firm asking to speak to each so and so.

When you find which one it is you put a lean on her property for the value of the lost caches.

She won't even know until she tries to sell her home and finds she can't.

You could also make a puzzle cache out of it by making people go to the web site and find out how much she paid for the place or how much she pays in property tax.

Happy caching

<_< I'm no lawyer, but that sounds like an organized invasion of privacy.

Ummmmmm.....AGAIN Someone explain to me how any of this makes us look good?

Jacking with someone as a group, no matter what they did wrong, is a BAD idea. It makes us look like vindictive thugs.