Anyone Use A Minting Service?

Lemon Fresh Dog

It you're any good with carving, carve your coin out of wax, pay attention to any detail on the front, leave the back blank.

Now take a 1/2 pint milk carton and fill it with a prepared plaster mixture (follow the directions on the bag). Smear a very light coating os vaseline on the wax coin, and place it detail side down in the plaster. do not submerge it, you want to be able to get it out.

When plaster is set and hardened, remove the wax, and now you have a mold. You can use a variety of stuff to make the coins, but I prefer LEAD FREE silver solder. I cut small pieces of solder and add them to the mold, and then use a pencil torch (or my propane torch) to melt the solder. I'll add more solder to fill the mold, wait 20 minutes for it to cool, and then carefully remove the coin (in my case little trinkets). You can then use the empty backside to inscribe tracking numbers.

This is a cheap way of doing it, but if you like working with your hands, its satisfying.

Hope this helps,

Lynx