Can You Help With Your Web Building Skills?

davester

I'm looking to create a map with all the walks on for my website, GeoHikes. However, my attempts to do this and get it looking half decent are failing miserably.

I'm trying to base the map on one of the outline maps available from the Ordnance Survey at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...un/outlinemaps/

Now, I'm can create an image map but unfortunately unless the map is quite big the results are useless. What I'm looking to do, therefore, is to keep the size as downloaded, create the image map and place the whole thing in a frame where the user can drag the map around with their mouse to get the portion they need. Ideally, hovering over the dot representing the walk location would display the details alongside the map.

Any ideas?

I'm looking to create a map with all the walks on for my website, GeoHikes. However, my attempts to do this and get it looking half decent are failing miserably.

I'm trying to base the map on one of the outline maps available from the Ordnance Survey at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...un/outlinemaps/

Now, I'm can create an image map but unfortunately unless the map is quite big the results are useless. What I'm looking to do, therefore, is to keep the size as downloaded, create the image map and place the whole thing in a frame where the user can drag the map around with their mouse to get the portion they need. Ideally, hovering over the dot representing the walk location would display the details alongside the map.

Any ideas?

Unless you wanted to do some lengthy flash codeing you could put the map into an iframe. To do this I would create an index page to hold the iframe and then another page, map.html, which would hold the map. You could then use an image map with alt and title attributes hovers to provide "roll over" text.

Remember to create a text only version that is accessable :blink:

Dan

Doing it the way you want with Flash wouldn't be a problem... unless you don't own Flash or know how to use it. Since the walks are in various locations up and down the UK why not use the county outlines on the map (areas with walks coloured in?), with an image-map (Dreamweaver does a quick and easy job of making them) linking to either a 'walk page', or a 'county page' if there's more than one walk in it? Nice, clear, clean and tidy. I would add text links to everything reached from the map too though, so people would know there were walks in Dorset but not Dumfries, for example. Roll-over alt="The xxx trail is in xcfordshire" would be handy too, as Dan says, and I can't see why the map would need to be more than 500 x 300 in black (outlines) white (general) and orange (or any other colour for the 'live' counties). You could even use a .gif map with transparent sections and the A:hover {background-color: orange} bit of code to 'light up' the linked sections of the map as you roll over them.

SP